PDA

View Full Version : A question about self-publishing

Renee Collins
08-25-2010, 08:17 PM
I have an old novel that failed to get me an agent, and I'm thinking about self-publishing it. I don't want to try and sell it or anything. I have no intention of buying a ISBN number or putting it up on amazon. I just want a nice, professional looking hard copy of a novel I worked very, very hard on, and still love, to put on my shelf and give to a few of my family members/friends.

I know most agents frown on self-publishing, but I'm thinking this is a little different, since I'm not going to sell it. However, I'd hate to be wrong. I'm currently querying a new novel, and I don't want anything to hurt my chances.

What do you think?

IceCreamEmpress
08-25-2010, 09:08 PM
It doesn't seem like you want to self-publish, but that you want to print some copies of your book to keep and to give for free. If you're not buying an ISBN or selling the book, there is no way an agent could possibly find out that you've printed copies of it for your own use.

Agents don't actually frown on self-publishing; they frown on people using that as a credit unless they have sold thousands of books.

Danthia
08-25-2010, 10:51 PM
I think Lulu does small runs like what you're looking for. If you have no ISBN number and you're not selling it, I don't think it's considered published.

Renee Collins
08-26-2010, 01:46 AM
Thank you both. I figured as much, but given my advanced case of paranoia, I thought I'd better double check with the peeps at AW. :)

shaldna
08-26-2010, 01:32 PM
You should maybe get in touch with local printers, they can usually do a short run that might be what you are looking for.

veinglory
08-26-2010, 05:53 PM
Using a local print has the advantage that Lulu does not have you work on file, they have been known to accidentally send private books to Amazon. Its not like such mistakes are common, but they are worrying.