electric fences and molotov cocktails

bertrigby

Dysfunctional dystopian
Registered
Reaction score
I'm trying to find ways for four teenagers to break in and out of a high security prison.

Yeah.

Anyway, I'm wondering if anyone has any experience of electric fences and more specifically how to disable them? Is it really just a case of wearing rubber gloves when you cut the wires? Google isn't cooperating and I don't want to go on any dodgy sites.

Also, I'm thinking of getting some fire going. What's the furthest you could throw a molotov cocktail without it going out?

Thanks in advance :)

jclarkdawe

Feeling lucky, Query?
Registered
Reaction score
I'm trying to find ways for four teenagers to break in and out of a high security prison.

Yeah.

Anyway, I'm wondering if anyone has any experience of electric fences and more specifically how to disable them? Is it really just a case of wearing rubber gloves when you cut the wires? Google isn't cooperating and I don't want to go on any dodgy sites. I don't know about the UK, but in the US, many prisons with electric fences use lethal voltages. Low level fences like those used for livestock can be held by many people despite the current. Not so with prison security fencing. Even the non-lethal stuff will knock you on your ass.

The gloves used by electric linemen are specially designed and tested every few months to make sure they don't leak. They're heavy and difficult to obtain. And they require that you be grounded (the whole truck is tested, from the bucket on down, to make sure it is grounded) to work right. And no lineman in his right mind would touch a live wire. These are all precautions for in case they make a whoops and the line they think is dead isn't.

A set of gloves like you'd get at a hardware store wouldn't do you a bit a good. Basically the escapes involving electric fence rely on shorting out the system.

Also, I'm thinking of getting some fire going. What's the furthest you could throw a molotov cocktail without it going out? It wouldn't go out within throwing range beyond the normal propensity of Molotov cocktails to go out. But I'm not sure how a Molotov would help in escaping from a prison.

Thanks in advance :)

Best of luck,

Jim Clark-Dawe

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Fences: (Obviously this depends on your exact set up)

Kill power to the charger.

Cut any part of the connection. Everything distant to the charger is dead. (Some circuits are complicated and beyond my understanding. The simple start to end electric circuit is what I'm thinking of here)

Wait for a dry dry month- the ground rod won't work and the shock is null.

Wait for a wet wet day- all the weeds and tree branches which are wet will sag and touch the fence and dissipate the charge. Obviously requires minor neglect from the ground keepers. But extra wet days can cause extra sag. Same with ice pulling branches down, then starting to melt...

Plow right over/through it. Most shocks come in pulses (ex- every 6 seconds) so you get hit once or maybe not at all if you're quick. Again, depends on type of fence.

Really thick clothing.

Do you know what shock level they use to keep ppl in? I've hit some hot hot horse fences, but if I had to plow through something I'd go for it. And if the charge isn't that strong, most wire cutters have rubber handles already. You could add a simple rag for extra insulation. Depending on the volts you'd get a small or no shock.

Old rusty spots won't conduct charges as well- again, everything downstream will be muted.

Heck, on a wet day (assuming maintained ground but a fair amount of wet grass) get a wet sheet. Sling it over the fence and have a fair bit touching the wet grass. Say it with me: Everything downstream is muted :)

And regardless of faults, the end of the fence line will be weak if a proper charger for the miles of fence is not used. But usually the planning is done right and the difference is null or minor. And it's very easy to check.

But whatever you do, do not, ever, accidentally back into a fence elbow first. You'll hit your funny bone, which is actually a nerve, and the volts will fly up that nerve and you will not find it at all humorous. Ask me how I know ;)

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
You don't want to try shorting an electric fence by hand. Beyond that, it's not feasible for a prisoner to have the kind of equipment required to do so without killing himself.

Now, if instead of a prison grade electric fence, you used one suitable for a stock pen, you could make something believable out of that. I got hung in a hot-wire fence when I was about four or five (snagged a metal belt buckle trying to reach over and pet the critters), and other than throwing a lot of sparks, it did minimal damage. My uncle pulled me loose with plain leather work gloves.

RobinGBrown

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.dogstarphotography.com
I think the sort answer is that there's no realistic way four ordinary teenagers are going to break into and get out of a high security prison under any circumstances.

Prisons have 'evolved' over the years to prevent exactly that sort of attempt, because otherwise organised and armed criminals would be breaking their buddies out every day of the week.

You've got two choices - gloss over the facts and hope your readers don't spot the problems or go back to the drawing board and come up with something radical. Maybe they could hijack some enormous vehicle and drive it over the fence/through the wall? People do occasionally manage to steal tanks.

Sorry.

bertrigby

Dysfunctional dystopian
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the info everyone!

Looks like I might need to go back to the drawing board on this one. *sigh* They do have a large haulage truck, so that's one possibility.

hammerklavier

It was a dark and stormy night
Registered
Reaction score
Just short it out with something, a huge pot of spaghetti, a bunch of stolen wires, the body of a deer, etc. When they turn it off for maintenance, you make your escape (of course, when turned off, they'll restrict all the prisoners and discover anyone who might be missing).

lbender

Registered
Reaction score
Your best bet may be to not have them break in, but trick their way in with some type of con. It may not be as dramatic, but four teens, untrained in combat, electronics, etc., may have better luck thinking their way in and out.

How? Short of disguising themselves as four nuns, not really sure. You're the writer. Good luck.