UK prison uniform

stuckupmyownera

Mostly lurking
Registered
Reaction score
My story has female prisoners escaping while being transferred from a low to a high security prison in the UK.

Anyone please tell me what they'd be wearing?

:)

shaldna

The cake is a lie. But still cake.
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know about other areas, but here there is no uniform for low security prisoners. They can wear their own clothes.

Not sure how that would apply to moving location etc, I would assume that in those cases there would be some sort of identifying garmet - a bib or something?

EDIT: I should have said GENERALLY no uniform. I checked, and it seems that individual prisons dictate thier own uniform guidelines. so I guess it depends where you ened up

Last edited:

stuckupmyownera

Mostly lurking
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks shaldna. Where did you check?

I think I'm going for north of England.

stuckupmyownera

Mostly lurking
Registered
Reaction score
Ooh, thanks. That's useful. It confirms what I thought - most female prisoners wear their own clothes. But if someone is considered an escape risk they will be given different clothes to wear to make them stand out... and it doesn't say what these are. My characters are being transferred to a higher security prison because they're a higher risk - I'm sure they'd be given uniform. I just don't know what!

RobinGBrown

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.dogstarphotography.com
This might sound a bit old school but try _phoning_ the prison service and explaining that you're writing a story and will give a 'thank you' in the book to them. They'll probably be quite helpful... unless you manage to make it sound like you want to break a prisoner out of jail!

http://www.hmprisonservice.gov.uk/

pdr

Banned
Reaction score
I think...

it's the same as here in NZ and the prisoners being moved wear a bright orange or yellow all-in-one coverall/jumpsuit thing over their clothes.