• Read this: http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?288931-Guidelines-for-Participation-in-Outwitting-Writer-s-Block

before you post.

Writers Block: My New Bestfriend.

Status
Not open for further replies.

IvoryJaied

I'm broken, when I'm lonesome.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.twitter.com
Yes, Writers Block is my bestfriend.
Why? I spend more time with it than I do anyone else.

I've come to the end of two stories. I know where they'll end, I know how they'll end.
The only problem is getting there.
I sit down with my laptop, page open. And I stare. That's it.
I just can't write the endings.

My friend, Sara, says it's separation anxiety, in a way. I'm not ready to let my characters go.
Maybe she's right.

How can I get over this? It's really annoying me now.

Angelus

Old kid, be mean
Registered
Reaction score
mostly it sounds like you fear failure. You wrote enough to get to the point of finishing. there is no "writer's block". maybe your wife, husband, gf, bf has made you feel worthless. Don't know. Maybe you know your fiction is not good enough. o Let's face these harsh, possibly true things. Pet your cat, play with your dog, either way, don't let something that has nothing to do with your story get in the way. yes, I speak from experience. write you fool and finish it.

HistoryLvr

Add Salt to Taste
Registered
Reaction score
Try writing longhand instead of on a computer. I much prefer writing with a pen and paper. It is easier to feel the words and feel closer to my characters. They are flowing directly from my hand and into life. The computer is so cold and rigid. Write with love, it is the easiest way to get started, at least for me.

MA_Kowalski

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Ivory,

Can you write the end in three words? Hint: keep your verb close to your noun. :<)

If you write it in three words, then try six. It has to be the complete end, though.

Then try writing the end in three paragraphs. Open it up a little. I had a short story that was surprisingly painful to write. The only way I got through it was to write just a few words at a time. When I did that, then usually, a few more words or sentences occured to me as I wrote and painstakingly, that's how it got done. There's probably more going on with your relationship to the story than you might be aware of.

Good luck

Mike

Storyteller5

Say something...
Registered
Reaction score
Sometimes I find it helps to just go write something else. Find a writer's prompt and do 500 words just to remind myself I am a writer and am not just chained to one storyline.

I also find that an ending is tougher when I'm trying to do something that in my heart I know is not the proper ending to the story I've told.

Reaction score
The Best Place In The World...Absolute Write!!
Hello writer's block, my old friend
You've come to ruin my time again
Blocking all of my ideas you do
Prevent them all from forming too
And the stories that I had half completed
Still remain
Unfinished, because of you

Great poem and I consider it my worst enemy. I think I am going through it right now because right now I have nothing preplanned like I did for months. Every morning I would wake up with new scenes formed in my mind, write them down on a document separate from my WIP document and expand it. Now it's getting hard because I have to force myself to write, but I don't see it as a bad thing because that's how my book, From The Heart was finished last July, and I'd been working on that sucker for four years. I would always open it, read through it and no new scenes would come up for it, until I started working on it last year and finished it. I am experiencing this with book 4 of my current series, but I am not depressed by any means because I am not disinterested in my favorite things, a clear symptom of depression for me, as when I'm depressed I don't cry, but I have disinterest in the things I love to do, and all I want to do is sleep...but I don't know...either way I am going to do this and I am not going to let this slump stop me.

triptych

it just so happens that I know a short cut
Registered
Reaction score
Instead of writing the ending to the current story, spend a few minutes writing the second story with your original characters - the beginning of it at least. Then you will know that you will not have left your characters in the dark, and that there is "life" for them after this first story. With that out of the way, you can quickly finish up the stories so you can move forward with your second set :)

Status
Not open for further replies.