Stories I'll Go To Hell For Writing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacob Fox

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jacobfox.com
Just an idea I had while taking a walk. I was thinking about putting up a website and calling it "Stories We'll Go To Hell For Writing." Basically what the stories would consist of would be those that fall into the horror/comedy genre. This way, limits could be pushed very far.

For example, I have a story about this politician who wants to hand out tampons to female voters to insure their votes. His tampon truck gets hijacked and basically it's a big chase story with a tampon truck. I'll have to rewrite it a bit to add a horror element, but you get the general idea.

But I just wouldn't want my stories on it. If others wanted to contribute, that would be great. I think it's a genre that has a lot of opportunities in it. If you're interested, let me know. I'll do the website and all of that work, all anyone else has to do is write stories.

Jacob

preyer

excessively spartan
Registered
Reaction score
warning: my reply may contain things... not good. as always, i strongly suggest you just skip my post, but now in particular. it's a side of preyer you might not like. or love, i don't know how weird you are. if you're the kind of person who claims to be 'crazy' or 'insane,' hey, great, but you're probably far from it in all reality and might want to just skip this reply in its entirety. (no offense to people who claim these things, it's just been my experience that on average people who say this stuff are pretty tame storytellers.)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~(i love these things)~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

NO limits would be better, except for those where people eat babies or just go in for nothing other than shock value. lest ye all think i'm not still plunking away on my challenge, i am (though smack dab in the midst of buying a business makes it hard to do the 4K words a day i was doing), and it's got a part that's definitely one i'll have to explain to God, i think (which is almost par for the course sometimes. yes, i'm bound and determined *never* to be published).

oh, i think i could write some things as long as i can use any damn language i want. i'm just blown away that here, on a writing board, i find one of the most stringent language filters just about anywhere. you'd probably find a few people who still think vampires drinking menstrual juices straight from the source is original and/or shocking.

i was just kidding about the warning really, i just wanted to stave off anyone who might be offended somehow by the menstrual thing. i really didn't believe people would be able to resist reading this far if there was a warning attached, lol.

you're going for a certain gross-out and shock value here, eh? as long as you insist that there's an actual story involved and not just some rough draft ramblings, i'd be willing to consider doing a story. and as long as every other story is about a vampire. man, those are almost always lame....

enjoy,

preyer :)

Jacob Fox

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jacobfox.com
Well, I don't like stories that just try to shock people and have no storyline. By definition, they're not really stories. As far as being crazy, I don't advertise it too much but I actually am on disability for severe obsessive compulsive disorder. To get a good mental image of my mental health, just think of Howard Hughes and you probably are pretty close.

The reason I say limits being pushed is because if I say no limits, then some people will come up with things that go against what I am thinking about. I am thinking horror comedy, not morbid erotica or anything like that. And there are some lines I wouldn't want to cross. But mostly what I am going for is comedy/horror.

I don't know, I guess it would all depend upon what the people involved want to do. I agree that vampire stories should not be in abundance. But it's not really shock value I am looking for. It's more of a warped take on horror.

I dunno. It was just a thought I had. It will take a while before everything sorts itself in my head.

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
My husband also is determined to never be published. The book he is writing...well...I'm pretty hard to shock, and sometimes I just wince at it. He'd kill me if I gave anything away, but he has brought in just about every touchy subject known to the Western World and sliced it wide open. The creepy/interesting thing is that he is actually giving a logical balance to it and believable reasons for why his *hero* is misunderstood.

I'm dying for him to finish it!

preyer

excessively spartan
Registered
Reaction score
i did something like that once. got about 3/4 of the way through it when i accidentally erased major chunks of it off my old brother WP. it was called 'sex cop,' and it was my intention to make it the worst book ever written. bear in mind this is coming from a guy, moi, who says i'll never do a photo for a book unless i'm naked in it, not because i'm particularly hung and want to show off (or am I?), just that that's the kinda guy i am for some reason. at the end, there's some silly justification for why gawd comes down and does what needs to be done (though it's not a DEM ending, per se). more power to 'im, i says.

preyer

excessively spartan
Registered
Reaction score
at the time, oh, about 13, 14 years ago, it was a kinda cool idea (or so i thought at the time) to have the future be pretty damn idealized so crime was at a minimum, though it was illegal to genetically create living creatures simply for sexual purposes. besides the worst acts of sex with freaks i could imagine, it was incredibly violent. everyone who could afford it went around with penile implants that rotated, vibrated, did a 'wave,' etc., while the bad guys were gassing a stadium full of orgy-goers just to get the good guys. those are the tame ideas, trust me. (chick with four boobs is sooo lame. i went out of my way *not* to have any of that b/c as a pervert well on my way to degenerence, i'm better than that.)

that was back in my 'anything to shock' people phase. not that i didn't practice that a little before that and certainly don't shy away from it now, that was my tour de force of profaneness and vulgarity just for its own sake. *but*, i did try to infuse a little story in the mess.

Fractured_Chaos

Distra-- Ooh! Shiny!
Registered
Reaction score
I dunno about any of those subjects condemning a horror writer to Hell...Well...condemning -any- writer to Hell, actually.

Isn't the goal of writing to blow open preconceived notions anyway? Okay...it's for entertainment too, but you get my point.

Me, on the other hand...-will- be going to Hell, because I've taken a break from writing my original novel (which is horror), and writing a fanfic.

Now -THAT'S- reason to be condemned to Hell! :ROFL:

preyer

excessively spartan
Registered
Reaction score
well, if george lucas only knew what i did, he'd condemn me to hell, i'm sure.

i've done my share of fanfic. hey, it's fun. of course, me being me, i had to go overboard. i've read some really good fanfic. no good harry potter fanfic, but a few decent star wars. i've had my best luck with indiana jones fanfic. in any category there's a terribly disproportionate ratio of good to bad approaching something that looks more like lottery odds. you don't tend to find many decent writers who knock out a solid fanfic.

PattiTheWicked

Unleashing Hell.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pattiwigington.com
I've got a friend that writes some really good Harry Potter/Buffy crossover fanfic. Oh, and as if that wasn't enough, it's yaoi, so there's all kinds of stuff going on between Spike and Draco Malfoy. And Angel and Sirius Black. And Spike and Angel and Draco and Sirius...

It's pretty hot, actually.

preyer

excessively spartan
Registered
Reaction score
crossovers aren't my thing, but cool. if it's any good, it's only a shame there's not money to be made writing it. maybe i've just not looked at the right places, but 'potter' especially seems to attract bad writing, probably due to the age group of the core audience. it's funny, but with as much as you hear about HP being why so many kids read, nothing is ever (at least i've never heard it) mentioned about how it spurs a lot of kids to write, also.

Fractured_Chaos

Distra-- Ooh! Shiny!
Registered
Reaction score
PattiTheWicked said:
I've got a friend that writes some really good Harry Potter/Buffy crossover fanfic. Oh, and as if that wasn't enough, it's yaoi, so there's all kinds of stuff going on between Spike and Draco Malfoy. And Angel and Sirius Black. And Spike and Angel and Draco and Sirius...

It's pretty hot, actually.

Harry Potter/Buffy?! I dunno...at least there are -some- similarities (ie the supernatural element...although one is more magic than the other).

Try Cowboy Bebop/Fullmetal Alchemist. :wag: (Talk about being completely opposite of each other)

I've seen alot of CBBP/Trigun crossovers (most are bad), which makes alot of sense, in a twisted way.

I'm going to be really evil, and attempt a three-way (crossover! Get your head out of the gutter), in November, for NaNoWriMo. Picture CBBP/Fullmetal Alchemist/ ST:TNG.

Yes, I am losing what's left of my mind...why do you ask. :ROFL:

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
Errr...and also, Lorrie dear, you'll be going straight to hell, do not pass go, do not collect two hundred dollars.

REMEMBER YOUR DAMN WIP??????????!!!!!!

YOU know the one--the original story you can eventually SELL?????!!!!

Do we need to have a small discussion about mid-book blahs? And how you just have to grit your teeth and slug through anyway? And how stories won't tell themselves? And how they're like small children: they must be nurtured and sheltered and made to wear their mittens outside, otherwise they grow sickly and weak....because all they'll eat is Count Chocula and Fruity Pebbles, and they stay up too late watching TV and rotting their little constantly forming minds and characters.

Fractured_Chaos

Distra-- Ooh! Shiny!
Registered
Reaction score
WIP? What WIP? :wag:

*snickers*

Well, if it's any consolation, the end of this month means putting the fun stuff away, and working on the WIP, then participating in NaNo the next month....and then -back- to the WIP.

If I keep going like I have been this month though, the WIP will actually see alot of progress. And if the progress is really good, I might just "accidentally" forget about NaNo. ;) Which will make the WIP fall under the category of "the fun stuff".

I did do something worthwhile recently, though....I withdrew 'Helen's Eyes' from Gothic.net (they were having alot of site issues), and mailed off a hard copy to Analogue early this month. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.