PDA

View Full Version : is Cosplay/fan art/personal interpertation of some original thing the same as fanfic?

defyalllogic
08-23-2010, 06:32 PM
sorry for another fan fiction thread... but it's not. it's about the other things fans do.

I'd be excited to go to comic con and see someone dressed as my character.

But also, just like fan fic, if someone was selling unlicensed merch on etsy, I'd be only a little flattered but a bit like, where's my cut? you'd have no market without me... (hypothetically speaking since I have no market currently...)

tutty
08-23-2010, 09:48 PM
to answer your question, yes. they're just in different mediums. :]

Cyia
08-23-2010, 10:35 PM
sorry for another fan fiction thread... but it's not. it's about the other things fans do.

I'd be excited to go to comic con and see someone dressed as my character.

But also, just like fan fic, if someone was selling unlicensed merch on etsy, I'd be only a little flattered but a bit like, where's my cut? you'd have no market without me... (hypothetically speaking since I have no market currently...)

It's not exactly fanfic, though.

If I make myself a Dark Phoenix (I grew up on X-Men and had angst issues, shut up) costume and toddle off to a Comicon, then yes, I've come as a character I do not own, but I'm not distributing costumes to anyone who wants to wear them.

If I write a Dark Phoenix fanfic and post it on-line, then anyone can read, download, save, copy, etc.

If I make a Dark Phoenix doll, then twenty copies of it, and try and sell them, then I'm profiting from someone else's trademarked character.

defyalllogic
08-23-2010, 10:45 PM
is it just about price (free vs. sold) and medium (same as original and different form original)?

Cyia
08-23-2010, 10:50 PM
is it just about price (free vs. sold) and medium (same as original and different form original)?

I think it's more about use.

For myself, I can create an approximation of the costume worn by a specific character and wear it. I cannot mass produce said costume and sell them for Halloween.

kuwisdelu
08-23-2010, 10:57 PM
I cosplay as Ryouji Kaji at my university all the time. In fact, it's my usual outfit. I've yet to have Anno or Sadamoto come after my ass.

Soccer Mom
08-23-2010, 11:53 PM
What Cyia said. It's about use. If you're just dressing in costume for Halloween, a con, cosplay, you'll be fine.

kuwisdelu
08-24-2010, 02:11 AM
I don't know about American places like DC or Marvel, but I do know that Japanese artists are ridiculously lax when it comes to going after fanfic and that kind of stuff. In fact, they often encourage it. Doujinshi artists help keep franchises alive.

Rhoda Nightingale
08-24-2010, 02:46 AM
^I've heard that about Japanese art, and my mind is still boggling over it.

I think the basic rule in the US is, as long as you're not claiming it as your own work, and not trying to make money off it, then you can carry on as you please.