PDA

View Full Version : Better version of MS available while full is waiting to be read. Send?

MikeGrant
08-23-2010, 12:47 AM
I was caught a bit on the hop by a full request this week, which happened only a couple of hours after I'd sent a preliminary email and then been asked for the first 100 pages of my manuscript.

I'd be meaning to take another quick pass through the novel in the usual lag time waiting for the response, but having received the request, I fired over the latest version immediately.

This weekend I've spent a few hours taking out superfluous dialogue tags (which is a bloody quick way to improve the flow of your novel, incidentally), and was surprised at just how many I hadn't already nuked.

So now I face a dilemma. The agent in question has only had the novel for a few days and is going to get back to me within 3 weeks. Should I contact him to let him know there's a newer version available? It would give me a better chance, I think, as the old version has several sections in it with "he said" and "she said" where it's obvious who's speaking and it makes me look a little bit clueless (though I might just be being pretty finickity in terms of thinking about the details - the underlying story and dialogue are the same, and it's not like I've put in much other than "said" as tags). But at the same time I don't want to email him and look like an idiot by suggesting it.

What do you reckon, folks? Ask if I can send the better version, or just rely on the one I already have?

Sassy3421
08-23-2010, 01:09 AM
tough spot....probably why we're told repeatedly to make sure our book is perfect before we query. But I understand getting anxious (guilty myself) and just like you mentioned normally there's more time between sending a query and getting a request.

personally, I think I'd just leave the agent with what they already have. I'd probably start chewing my fingernails from anxiety over it...but I'd leave it. If it's meant to be, it will be.

Ryan_Sullivan
08-23-2010, 01:13 AM
Leave it.

If you send the new version, the agent will see at as being unprepared and unprofessional. Now, since you're going off a partial, I wouldn't be too worried. If the agent hasn't been bothered by the dialogue tags thus far, you probably won't have a problem in the future (it may be something she'll ask a revision for). Don't sweat it. Just let it be.

Jamesaritchie
08-23-2010, 01:30 AM
I'd leave it. What matters is story and character. Any agent or editor worth a lead penny pays no attention to such things as too many "he saids". They know the delete key takes care of such problems in a hurry.

Phaeal
08-23-2010, 02:03 AM
I agree. Rather than admitting you subbed prematurely and possibly confusing/annoying the agent, leave things be. What you changed doesn't sound like a dealbreaker, especially since you got the full off the (long) partial.

MikeGrant
08-23-2010, 02:48 AM
Good point about the partial, folks. Though it was only an hour between that request and the full request, so I'm not sure if he got past the ultra-polished opening before deciding he wanted the rest!

But I agree with you all - I think I'll hope that what I have is enough.

vfury
08-23-2010, 03:11 AM
I'd leave it as it is. Superfluous dialogue tags can easily be deleted later on.

Twizzle
08-24-2010, 05:13 PM
Just saw this on an agent blog. She said, yes, in some circumstances. I think. Hang on.

ETA-she's discussing a partial, but perhaps the advice stands. Good luck with the request! Here you go (http://agencygatekeeper.blogspot.com/2010/08/after-sending-out-my-partial-i-have.html).

Ineti
08-24-2010, 08:15 PM
What do you reckon, folks? Ask if I can send the better version, or just rely on the one I already have?

Leave it. Focus your creative energy on the next book.

Jamesaritchie
08-25-2010, 01:47 AM
Just saw this on an agent blog. She said, yes, in some circumstances. I think. Hang on.

ETA-she's discussing a partial, but perhaps the advice stands. Good luck with the request! Here you go (http://agencygatekeeper.blogspot.com/2010/08/after-sending-out-my-partial-i-have.html).

I'd agree with the agent, if we were talking about a manuscript that's been rewritten, and really is better. But the kind of problems we have here just don't apply. When you start sending out new versions for such minor offenses, ones that have no real impact on the story, you become a pain in the butt.

Twizzle
08-26-2010, 01:10 AM
When you start sending out new versions for such minor offenses, ones that have no real impact on the story, you become a pain in the butt.

Oh, I'd wager some agents would think any corrections qualify you as a pain in the butt. *shrugs* Just as others would be perfectly fine with any resubmission. The real ques is how would this agent respond, and only one person knows for sure.