PDA

View Full Version : Holy crap am I mad (strong language warning)

jennontheisland
08-22-2010, 02:14 AM
Some mother fucking piece of shit tried to steal my car last night.

Fucking bastard busted the lock on the door, scratched up the dashboard and left something jammed in the ignition.

Stole my change (in a covered ashtray) and the skull that was in the backseat too.

I've got company flying in for a three week visit on Thursday, no groceries and a student loan certificate that needs notarizing so I can pay my tuition.

And what kind of crap ass insurance company doesn't have a fucking claim centre open outside of normal business hours??

Holy fuck, I haven't been this angry since I was married.

Fenika
08-22-2010, 02:18 AM
If you find the dude, you could replace the skull...

More seriously, that really really sucks. I had an insurance company that wasn't answering calls after New Years. And in the end they totaled my car rather than haul it back. It sucked.

I hope you get everything sorted and can at least bum a ride.

jennontheisland
08-22-2010, 02:28 AM
If you find the dude, you could replace the skull...
After I glued it back together maybe.

Crap. I totally forgot about the write off part. It's provincial insurance here (one company that you have to use if you live in the province) and they're notorious for writing off vehicles.

I've got loss of use coverage, but if they make any noises about the repairs being worth more than my car I'm just going to have to cancel the claim and hope that no one needs the work truck for a few days.

Every item on the list of crap I have to do before my guest arrives and school starts involves some kind of driving.

Button
08-22-2010, 02:42 AM
Check your gas tank. Did they take it for a joy ride? You should have it checked out before you drive it anywhere. Make sure the didn't put anything unwanted in the tank or whatever. Check the trunk and back seat for stuff they may have left behind like drug stuff or something.

veinglory
08-22-2010, 02:51 AM
That sucks :(

jennontheisland
08-22-2010, 03:06 AM
Check your gas tank. Did they take it for a joy ride? You should have it checked out before you drive it anywhere. Make sure the didn't put anything unwanted in the tank or whatever. Check the trunk and back seat for stuff they may have left behind like drug stuff or something.
No, they couldn't get it started. They fucked the ignition lock trying. I did check the car over thoroughly. Nothing left behind and only select items taken. They took the skull, but not the metal pole it had been mounted on, and the change, but not the tools in my trunk.

This city has the worst per capita crime rates in Canada in a number of categories (worst in N. America for some). I guess I should be happy that it was vehicle theft and not assault or rape that I landed on.

And if they'd left weed in my back seat, I'd have broken my spell of abstinence and happily smoked it.

The fuckers.

night-flyer
08-22-2010, 05:16 AM
No, they couldn't get it started. They fucked the ignition lock trying. I did check the car over thoroughly. Nothing left behind and only select items taken. They took the skull, but not the metal pole it had been mounted on, and the change, but not the tools in my trunk.

The fuckers.

Sounds as if they weren't very bright. At least the stereo would have been worth something. Change and a skull. Come on now. That's just pathetic for thieves. Sorry, this happened to you,:( but at least it wasn't your home.

Silver King
08-22-2010, 05:35 AM
I don't keep anything of value in my car. And I mean nothing. Twice now in the last year I've had wannabe thieves smash the driver's side window to gain access to the car. Though I didn't have a chance to speak with them, I'm sure they must have been disappointed in what they didn't find.

The funny part is, I keep my car unlocked at all times. It's insured, so I don't care at all whether it's stolen or trashed.

Note to burglars: Check the doors before going through the trouble of "breaking in."

jennontheisland
08-22-2010, 05:46 AM
I really didn't figure the skull was of so much value that it needed to be hidden or brought inside. lol The box of baby wipes that they left behind was probably worth more than the skull.

And the stereo is the stock one that comes with a 1995 Saturn (gawd, how dumb do you have to be to try to steal one of those), it has a cassette player. Worth less than the 3.48 that was hidden in the closed ashtray.

I figure they were half way to having it running when they realized 2 things:

-- it's a standard, and the apparently few crooks know how to manage a stick (http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/local/calm-mom-watched-carjack-fail-75724152.html)

-- the driver's seat won't move back. If you're taller than 5'2" you're not going to fit in there.

Cella
08-22-2010, 05:56 AM
I'm so mad for you! :rant:

Silver King
08-22-2010, 06:15 AM
I really didn't figure the skull was of so much value that it needed to be hidden or brought inside. lol...
Slight derail, but your skull reminds me of a dragon I bought for my wife some years ago that was stolen from our home. I'd bought it in China while traveling, and she loved that piece. It meant a lot to her.

We had all kinds of stuff taken from our home that day, but losing that dragon broke her heart in a way I tried but couldn't repair, as it was irreplaceable to her.

Yeshanu
08-22-2010, 06:34 AM
Hugs, Jenni. Even if nothing is taken or broken, you've still had your space violated, and anger is an appropriate result.

jennontheisland
08-22-2010, 06:41 AM
Slight derail, but your skull reminds me of a dragon I bought for my wife some years ago that was stolen from our home. I'd bought it in China while traveling, and she loved that piece. It meant a lot to her.

We had all kinds of stuff taken from our home that day, but losing that dragon broke her heart in a way I tried but couldn't repair, as it was irreplaceable to her.
I'm so sorry she lost that. Strange how some things, regardless of perceived value, can be worth so much.

My ignition lock may not be exactly replaceable since Saturns are done with. But if you can fit a universal lock into the ignition of a 77 Mazda (that one the lock bearings wore out), I'm sure I can convince my mechanic to fit one into this car.

jennontheisland
08-22-2010, 06:42 AM
Hugs, Jenni. Even if nothing is taken or broken, you've still had your space violated, and anger is an appropriate result.
Thanks. I know the broken parts are fixable. I just hope it can be done in time before I have to drive to the airport to pick someone up.

Susie
08-22-2010, 06:55 AM
:Hug2:s jenn. Hope it works out well for you. Why some people have to be this way is beyond me.

ofriv
08-22-2010, 09:50 AM
I used to booby trap my car (for reasons I'd rather not discuss) Just a simple door- lock bar, timex, toggle switch, solenoid thingy. Untill I took my wifes car and left mine behind and she was late to taking our son to the dentist......got my ass chewed for that one. I've since disbaled all that shit (Im retired now) In my defense, I did tell her about it...but she forgot.....and I'm a freak...MY FAULT....see how that works!

regdog
08-22-2010, 03:37 PM
Sorry to hear it

sadron
08-22-2010, 04:07 PM
Sorry to hear it. :(

Maryn
08-22-2010, 06:27 PM
That totally sucks (like you needed me to tell you that). But better an annoying property crime which is a huge inconvenience and substantial expense than a crime against you as a person, right?

Maryn, who's also had a car damaged by thieves

Greeble
08-22-2010, 06:59 PM

Relax! Stuff like this happens. Just try to keep a clear head and contact the police.

And what kind of crap ass insurance company doesn't have a fucking claim centre open outside of normal business hours??

Well, that's no so important now, right? Reporting it to the police has priority.

LaurieD
08-22-2010, 07:08 PM
Oh, that stinks Jenn! I hope you can get the ignition fixed.

Shadow_Ferret
08-22-2010, 07:12 PM
Do I really want to know why you're carrying a skull around?

And Sorry. Thieves suck.

And we had gone to a restaurant after one of our kids' basketball games to celebrate. I guess I forgot to lock the car because when we came back I noticed my notebook sitting in the front seat (should have been in the back). Then we noticed a bag of candy had been dumped on the floor and the glovebox was opened. Some kids had rifled through our car, stole both our kids' Nintendoes. Luckily they missed my iPod and my son had $50 in his gymbag, but I guess the stench of his clothes put them off to it.

Never felt so violated.

jennontheisland
08-22-2010, 08:17 PM
Relax! Stuff like this happens. Just try to keep a clear head and contact the police.

Well, that's no so important now, right? Reporting it to the police has priority.
In this city the only reason to call the police is to get a file number for the insurance company. There are so many calls, they even have a special phone number dedicated to reporting vehicle crimes. They take your name and give you your file number. In three weeks or so, well after the repairs are done, someone might follow up if they decide they want more information.

Yeah stuff like this happens alright.

I hate this fucking city.

jennontheisland
08-22-2010, 08:21 PM
Do I really want to know why you're carrying a skull around?

And Sorry. Thieves suck.

And we had gone to a restaurant after one of our kids' basketball games to celebrate. I guess I forgot to lock the car because when we came back I noticed my notebook sitting in the front seat (should have been in the back). Then we noticed a bag of candy had been dumped on the floor and the glovebox was opened. Some kids had rifled through our car, stole both our kids' Nintendoes. Luckily they missed my iPod and my son had $50 in his gymbag, but I guess the stench of his clothes put them off to it.

Never felt so violated.

Ug. Ferret. I'm sorry you had to deal with that too.

The skull was part of a machine I built for a design class last year. I'd cleaned out all the other remnants of that project and left the skull to add to the ambiance.

Really, I should have put it on the shelf in the livingroom with the other ones.

KTC
08-22-2010, 08:23 PM

Fucking bastard busted the lock on the door, scratched up the dashboard and left something jammed in the ignition.

Stole my change (in a covered ashtray) and the skull that was in the backseat too.

I've got company flying in for a three week visit on Thursday, no groceries and a student loan certificate that needs notarizing so I can pay my tuition.

Sorry to hear this happened to you. It happened to me about a month ago. I made the mistake of having a visa statement on my front seat too...whoever broke in and stole all my change (a pile of loonies and twoonies i kept in there for Tim Hortons) also took the visa statement. a couple of days later visa contacted me to ask if i was in quebec using my visa. i was JUST AS MAD as you. and sick feeling too...it feels so bad when you're violated like this. I feel your pain. sorry.

Dr.Gonzo
08-22-2010, 08:40 PM

:roll:

Miss Plum
08-22-2010, 09:56 PM
Are you in B.C.? Yeah, car theft there is bad. One guy I know was advised by the cops to take every last stick of anything valuable or useful out of his car and leave the windows open and the doors unlocked, and leave a sign in the car saying "There is nothing of value in this car." That would at least stop thieves from smashing his windows to hunt for something nice. (Not so good if they want to jam up his ignition trying to drive it away though.)

Maryn
08-22-2010, 10:33 PM
While we don't have the theft problem at your level, I had serious doubts when I had to replace a car totaled in an accident six or seven years ago. Because we were insured, I could buy a new car, but that's like announcing, Hey, this person has some money and probably loads of goodies stowed where they don't show. Sure enough, I'd had it only a few months when thieves smashed two windows and took a tote bag with maps, some home-burned CDs, a spiral notebook and pen, and other worthless crap. Replacing the windows cost nearly $500, though.

I've always thought that if I'd driven my usual five to ten year old car, I might not have been targeted.

(And like you, the cops did nothing but take a report on the phone, delivered to a recording. No actual human cops got involved.)

Maryn, frustrated

AlexPiper
08-22-2010, 11:07 PM
Are you in B.C.? Yeah, car theft there is bad. One guy I know was advised by the cops to take every last stick of anything valuable or useful out of his car and leave the windows open and the doors unlocked, and leave a sign in the car saying "There is nothing of value in this car."

I live in Seattle, and have friends I often visit in Vancouver, BC. My car window got smashed in several years back, and the Vancouver police gave me similar advice. They also mentioned that car prowlers there will target out-of-province (or American) plates specifically, since it generally means someone is just visiting and won't stick around to push the case forward; there's less likely to be any consequences for the thieves. :(

jennontheisland
08-22-2010, 11:21 PM
Are you in B.C.? Yeah, car theft there is bad. One guy I know was advised by the cops to take every last stick of anything valuable or useful out of his car and leave the windows open and the doors unlocked, and leave a sign in the car saying "There is nothing of value in this car." That would at least stop thieves from smashing his windows to hunt for something nice. (Not so good if they want to jam up his ignition trying to drive it away though.)
No. I left the island a few years ago and didn't bother to change my name.

And it I were to leave my doors unlocked and windows down MPI would probably nullify my insurance. I've known people forced to install immobilizers, at their own expense, by MPI because their brand of car is often stolen.

Fenika
08-22-2010, 11:25 PM
On the flip side, back when Poland was recovering from Communism, everyone still drove the same type of meh car. If you drove a fancy and expensive car, no one fu**ed with you, because they thought you were the friggen mafia.

Now THAT's car insurance :)

Unless you bumped into the actual mafia...

WildScribe
08-22-2010, 11:34 PM
A year and a half ago, hubby and I drove home on New Years from southern California, where we had been visiting a friend. We got in really late, so we left all of our stuff in the car and went upstairs to bed. The next morning, hubby went down to the car to get my hairbrush and came back up yelling. Our snowboards and gear, luggage (with all of my favorite clothes and all of my favorite costume jewelry, since we had partied over New Years), my mother's flute, and our DVD collection were alllll gone. Fortunately my laptop was the one thing I carried in other than my purse. We spent my birthday charging around $3000 to our credit card to replace the clothes, flute, a couple pieces of jewelry, and a bunch of DVDs. Happy birthday! :P

My parents yelled at me for having left the car unlocked, but when the police came to take a report, they said that a thief had gone nuts that night, and there were busted car windows all up and down our street, and ours were spared, so at least that was one expense we didn't have to deal with. When I told my parents that, they calmed down. Losing that flute was the worst, though. My mom had had it since she was around 12, and had lent it to me so I could teach myself to play.

Greeble
08-22-2010, 11:38 PM
I hate this fucking city.

Rest assured: it happens in every city.

Fenika
08-22-2010, 11:50 PM
Not all cities are created equal.

Here it's your neighbor or your friend, 9 times out of 10, and not some complete stranger. Go figure.

(statistics may be skewed do to inadequate sample size, but not by much. I'm sure there's plenty of folks targeting tourists here)