WikiLeaks founder suspected of rape [charges withdrawn]

dmytryp

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.webpage4u.co.il
http://www.thelocal.se/28496/20100821/
Prosecutor Marie Häljebo Kjellstrand confirmed that a warrant was issued on Friday evening and that the grade of suspicion -- probable cause -- was strong enough to ensure that the 39-year-old Australian could be detained upon his arrest, newspaper Expressen reports.

A source close to the case told the newspaper that two women in their twenties went to the police in Stockholm on Friday to speak about their recent encounters with Assange.
Damn, CIA works fast and dirty

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
Interesting. I was expecting him to die of an accidental overdose of some sort. I guess the show trial will be more of a message to the masses.

Julie Worth

What? I have a title?
Registered
Reaction score

Yeah. They can't kill him, so what's the easiest way to smear someone? Next we can expect them to shut down the Wikileaks servers on some pretext associated with this. Anything to stop America from knowing what its government has been up to.

Last edited:

Maxinquaye

That cheeky buggerer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
maxoneverything.wordpress.com
HAHAHAHAHA!

If this is a CIA plot they need to fire their experts.

If they wanted to frame someone, I'm sure US courts would be more pliable tools, and not the courts of a country where the entire prosecution will become public record upon filing.

And government is constitutionally barred from slapping a secrecy-stamp on it. Unless it's about relations to foreign governments, but this isn't CIA is it. Just two women in trouble.

Julie Worth

What? I have a title?
Registered
Reaction score
Just two women in trouble.

How naive you are. The leaks have barely begun and the US is desperate to stop them. As Manning said about the diplomatic cables he gave Wikileaks, “Everywhere there’s a U.S. post, there’s a diplomatic scandal that will be revealed. It’s open diplomacy. World-wide anarchy in CSV format. It’s Climategate with a global scope, and breathtaking depth. It’s beautiful, and horrifying.”

So we have two women from different towns going to the police on the same day? I think not, but I do think the CIA was working through Expressen, as the smear is totally lacking in subtlety.

Last edited:

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
HAHAHAHAHA!

If this is a CIA plot they need to fire their experts.
Have you forgotten? The CIA has brought us such past amusements as the Bay of Pigs and the Acoustic Kitty, not to mention their "excellent" performance both pre and post-911.

icerose

Lost in School Work
Registered
Reaction score
I'm glad I'm not the only one who found it all suspect. If the girls truly were raped by this man, then they deserve justice it just all seemed rather coincidental to me.

dmytryp

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.webpage4u.co.il
I was actually making a joke. I don't think this was CIA, though it might have been. I think they'd go for Australia, not Sweden, though. Anyway, doesn't US and Sweden have extradition agreements? If they do, and Asange is charged in US with reckless endangerment or something, wouldn't he be arrested and extradited anyway from countries that have extradition agreements with US?

P.S. The reason why I don't think this was CIA (additionally to what I had already stated) is that I think CIA and US gov are smart enough to know that this wouldn't make any difference. The cat is out of the bag (both in terms of the published info and in terms of future leaks). And I don't believe they'd do it just out of spite.

Maxinquaye

That cheeky buggerer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Then it will be a media frenzy the like we haven't seen since Lewinsky.

With the exception that everything will be public: winessess-depositions, technical evidence, the lot. The names of the women might be suppressed though.

As I said, the government can't make it secret.

Shadow Dragon

Registered
Reaction score
Yes, because if he gets taken care of, all leaks onto the internet will completely cease to happen. And of course wikileaks itself will close down, simply because its founder is in prison.

Seriously? Even the US government is smart enough to know that getting rid of this guy accomplishes nothing. And I love how everyone automatically assumes the guy is innocent.

Julie Worth

What? I have a title?
Registered
Reaction score
The cat is out of the bag (both in terms of the published info and in terms of future leaks). And I don't believe they'd do it just out of spite.

The cat is not out of the bag until it's out, and as for doing things for spite, didn't we get into the second Iraq war for spite?

Maxinquaye

That cheeky buggerer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
There are two levels of arrest in Sweden.

'Skäligen misstänkt', or 'reasonably suspected', which is the lower level of arrest which allows the police a short time to secure evidence. Then there is the 'På sannolika skäl', which translates to 'For probable reason'. This last grade requires the prosecutors (who do the arrests in Sweden, well they order them and then the police carries out the arrest) to have technical evidence already.

So, I would assume that maybe the cops have sperm samples, pictures of the women, or something like that.

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
The cat is not out of the bag until it's out, and as for doing things for spite, didn't we get into the second Iraq war for spite?
The last time the CIA let the cat out of the bag, a taxi cab ran over it. :ROFL:

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
There are two levels of arrest in Sweden.

'Skäligen misstänkt', or 'reasonably suspected', which is the lower level of arrest which allows the police a short time to secure evidence. Then there is the 'På sannolika skäl', which translates to 'For probable reason'. This last grade requires the prosecutors (who do the arrests in Sweden, well they order them and then the police carries out the arrest) to have technical evidence already.

So, I would assume that maybe the cops have sperm samples, pictures of the women, or something like that.
They better have technicolor movies, with sound, proving their case beyond any shadow of a doubt.

Did this guy get where he is by being a total idiot? Because the last thing anybody with half a brain would do in his position is break ANY law. He knows that he's being raked over with a fine-tooth comb to find anything he can be silenced or discredited with... so he goes out and rapes two women. :rolleyes:

Julie Worth

What? I have a title?
Registered
Reaction score
The last time the CIA let the cat out of the bag, a taxi cab ran over it. :ROFL:

Haha! "The cat was released nearby, but was hit and killed by a taxi almost immediately."

A guy I went to college with was recruited by the CIA. He was a low C student and easily suggestible, so perfect fodder for them. And just recently I talked with a woman who was with their anti-terrorism group. I was less than impressed. Apparently most of the CIA are bureaucrats living in cubeville.

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
Did this guy get where he is by being a total idiot? Because the last thing anybody with half a brain would do in his position is break ANY law. He knows that he's being raked over with a fine-tooth comb to find anything he can be silenced or discredited with... so he goes out and rapes two women. :rolleyes:
Yes, that's almost as unbelievable as a president with people out to destroy him who would casually talk an intern into a blow job.

He doesn't need to be convicted of anything. The accusation and scandal will focus heat on his personal life and push the leak story into the background. Plus, hurt his credibility in general and turn people against him. His personal life should have nothing to do with the credibility of the leaks, but it will.

The charges do reek of a setup, but on the other hand, I've always felt there was something a little off about the guy.

Monkey

Is me.
Registered
Reaction score
They better have technicolor movies, with sound, proving their case beyond any shadow of a doubt.

If these two women were raped (and we don't know yet whether or not they were), they deserve justice, and it shouldn't be any harder for them to get it just because their rapist was a public figure.

Oh. Yeah. Like, why would a senator known for being tough on prostitution hire a bunch of prostitutes and have them dress as Nazi's while they do dirty things to him? Why would a congressmen who supports the "one man and one woman" version of marriage and calls homosexuality an abomination get caught picking up gay men at a bar?

Should the burden of proof be higher to investigate politicians, actors, athletes, or anyone else who is subjected to scrutiny?

Innocent until proven guilty. That goes for the defendant, the CIA, and the women making claims. And let's NOT give their claims less weight just because of who they have accused.

Julie Worth

What? I have a title?
Registered
Reaction score
The accusation and scandal will focus heat on his personal life and push the leak story into the background. Plus, hurt his credibility in general and turn people against him. His personal life should have nothing to do with the credibility of the leaks, but it will.

Actually, a war of invented charges vs leaks of real cables is one the US will lose. No doubt someone is telling him they can make these charges go away if he makes the documents go away, but I doubt he's that kind of guy. He may now be tempted to just dump them all on the internet right away, without trying to self-censor any of them.

Last edited:

Maxinquaye

That cheeky buggerer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Actually, a war of invented charges vs leaks of real cables is one the US will lose. No doubt someone is telling him they can make these charges go away if he makes the documents go away, but I doubt he's that kind of guy. He may now be tempted to just dump them all on the internet right away, without trying to self-censor any of them.

Another reason - if this is a dastardly plot - why the instigators are full blown morons.

Plea bargains are illegal in Sweden.

Julie Worth

What? I have a title?
Registered
Reaction score
Another reason - if this is a dastardly plot - why the instigators are full blown morons.

Plea bargains are illegal in Sweden.

There won't be any plea bargains. There will simply be a couple of women who change their minds.