• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Offer to read queries and partials

Status
Not open for further replies.

caitief

Registered
Reaction score
This offer is currently closed. If I have your query and partial, I will get to yours, but am not accepting any until I am caught up

In 2009, I graduated with a degree in Publishing Studies from Hofstra University. It is really hard to get a job right now, and it seems even harder in the publishing industry. I am currently working as a proofreader for a pharmaceutical company, but would like to keep working with books of any and all genres. I have interned for Hachette Book Group and Writers House

At Writers House, I read query letters, partial manuscripts, and full manuscripts that were sent to the general submissions and also ones sent to a specific agent. I commented on all materials received and sent a recommendation to the agent's assistant whether we should reject or ask to see more. I also wrote full reports for the assistant. After reading full manuscripts, I wrote editorial letters to suggest changes the author could make to make the novel more suitable for that agent.

Here is my proposal.

I know how exciting it is to get a request for a partial. I also know how difficult it is just to get a standard rejection for that partial and have no idea why. I am willing to read the query letter and first fifty pages of your manuscript (an automatic partial request!). Once I get them and read them, I will send you exactly what I would send to the assistant when I was at Writers House. First I will make notes on your query with a yes, maybe, or no and why (usually by underlining parts or making a quick comment). But no matter what I say, I will also read your first 50 pages and send you exactly what I would have sent the assistant. It is a yes or no then up to a page of why. If I liked it, this page would be me pushing the assistant to like it too. If I didn't it would detail exactly why. Then I will send it back to you. I will add something else: if I would have said yes to the partial, I will read your full and write you an editorial letter.

You do NOT have to read anything of mine. Of course I am NOT asking for payment. I want to help you, and help myself stay in the publishing mindset while I am working on the more technical side.

The only thing I ask if that you are respectful to me, as I will be respectful to you.

I will read them in the order that I get them, and will not put a limit, but you need to know that you will not be getting a response right away. I hope I can help some people out!

Email me your query in the email and your partials as an attachment at [email protected]

Last edited:

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Any particular genres you're especially qualified to judge, or know you're not qualified to judge (if, for instance, you don't read them)? In my experience, very few agents handle my genre, the one where you interned among the ones who don't.

Maryn, thinking this a generous offer

caitief

Registered
Reaction score
Any particular genres you're especially qualified to judge, or know you're not qualified to judge (if, for instance, you don't read them)? In my experience, very few agents handle my genre, the one where you interned among the ones who don't.

Maryn, thinking this a generous offer

I really read anything - I have learned that every genre has quality works in it and that if I don't read a wide variety of genres (especially since I am interested in agenting) then I will miss out on books that have a lot of potential to be great - and a lot of potential to be marketable.

The one thing I don't really do is picture books. Through being in my program, Hachette, and WH, I found that it is almost impossible to find a good picture book that is not from an already established author. We got a couple that I loved, but the agents tore them apart.

In my spare time, I do really read anything. I look for good characters and stories and excellent writing. I will read sci-fi, fantasy, women's fiction, crime, thrillers,YA, general fiction, romance, MG, , literary fiction, chic lit, war, non-fiction and everything else I haven't mentioned. If you aren't sure, send it to me and I will let you know!

geardrops

Good thing I like my day job
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.geardrops.net
When do you plan on cutting this off? I'm *almost* at the stage where this would be both incredibly useful for me AND the material I have is not a complete waste of your time. Maybe a few days' worth of work. Is this a One Day Only Event? :)

Thanks!

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
To clarify: Do you want members who are interested to send you a query AND a partial, or are you okay with receiving partials only, or queries only?

caitief

Registered
Reaction score
When do you plan on cutting this off? I'm *almost* at the stage where this would be both incredibly useful for me AND the material I have is not a complete waste of your time. Maybe a few days' worth of work. Is this a One Day Only Event? :)

Thanks!

I don't plan on cutting it off anytime soon...I am hoping this is a continual thing for me!

caitief

Registered
Reaction score
To clarify: Do you want members who are interested to send you a query AND a partial, or are you okay with receiving partials only, or queries only?

Thanks for asking! I will accept queries only, but I would prefer that any partials also have a query because my goal is to show the writers at each step what an agent (or their assistant/intern) might think/do. Just like at an agency, having the query gives me a better sense of what the author is doing overall.

That said, if people are still tweaking their query, send it. I promise I won't be mean about it, I promise (that said I will be honest, but in a nice way)

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
I'm guessing you'll have a handful of our AWers interested in your offer. Feel free to come back and update if you're swamped. Sounds like fun.

teacherdrama

Registered
Reaction score
Just a quick add-on, not that she needs it. Caitie's my wife, and she's VERY good at this. She's being incredibly generous here because she genuinely loves doing this work. As a writer myself, she's been invaluable in giving me feedback and criticism (and believe me, just because we're married, she doesn't hold back - when she doesn't like something, she lets me know!).

Nobody gets to say this too often in a good way, but take advantage of my wife!

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
LOL--and I never, ever write that unless it's literally true.

Maryn, chuckling

ladyleeona

fluently sarcastic grandma offender
Registered
Reaction score
Nobody gets to say this too often in a good way, but take advantage of my wife!

This made me laugh so hard I snorted. Srsly. :roll::ROFL:

I'm nowhere near needing it, but I'm going to definitely keep you mind! :)

And thanks for this--like Maryn said, it is very generous.
ETA: ^ This was intended for the OP, not the OP's hubby. lmao.

vishvakarman

crazy dumbsaint of the mind
Registered
Reaction score
Sent my query with the 50 pages as an attachment. I hope that's ok. I know it's usually a no-no with publishers and agents but I haven't seen too many that ask for the first 50 pages either, because that's a lot!

Because.

told before & told again
Registered
Reaction score
Yep. You are probably about to get flooded with partials from AWers (including me if that's alright. I'm almost to this point of my revising). So thanks for offering to help us. :)

ThetProf

To write or not to write. . .
Registered
Reaction score
Incredibly generous. I'm sending as soon as my next chapter is done. You are heaven sent!

Honeybug

Working my way up!
Registered
Reaction score
I really read anything - I have learned that every genre has quality works in it and that if I don't read a wide variety of genres (especially since I am interested in agenting) then I will miss out on books that have a lot of potential to be great - and a lot of potential to be marketable.

The one thing I don't really do is picture books. Through being in my program, Hachette, and WH, I found that it is almost impossible to find a good picture book that is not from an already established author. We got a couple that I loved, but the agents tore them apart.

In my spare time, I do really read anything. I look for good characters and stories and excellent writing. I will read sci-fi, fantasy, women's fiction, crime, thrillers,YA, general fiction, romance, MG, , literary fiction, chic lit, war, non-fiction and everything else I haven't mentioned. If you aren't sure, send it to me and I will let you know!

*Scratches head* This is a very generous offer and would love to send my query and story, only it's a PB. Would you consider doing PB's or strictly MG & up? Ready when you are! :)

Devil Ledbetter

Come on you stranger, you legend,
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
That is extremely generous and I will be taking you up on it (and waiting patiently.)

Thank you!

PortableHal

Not-so-new
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.marsneedswriters.com
As soon as we saw Caitief's offer, my wife and I sent out the query and partial for our new project. We were excited to have a professional review both the query letter and 50 (!) pages of our manuscript.

And for free? That just doesn't happen.

Last night, C.F. sent her thoughts to our email addy. She offered some strong advice on the letter and was thoughtful and encouraging about our novel. Her comments were specific enough that it was clear to us that she'd read every page we'd sent. She's the real deal and we really, really appreciated her willingness to come to this forum and make such a terrific offer.

caitief

Registered
Reaction score
Jut wanted to let everyone know I am still accepting. I have about 25 right now, but as long as you are patient I will send you my comments. I promise that they will be of the same quality as the first one I sent back last week.

Thank you to everyone who is sending to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.