45 Essential Nutrients?

boron

Health writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.healthhype.com
I'm searching for the "current official list" of essential nutrients for human. According to Merck Manual, there should be 45 of them, but no list is provided.

I have this list for now:
  1. Water
  2. Vitamin A (retinol)
  3. Vitamin B1 (thiamin)
  4. Vitamin B2 (riboflavin)
  5. Vitamin B3 (niacin, vitamin P, vitamin PP)
  6. Vitamin B5 (panthotenic acid)
  7. Vitamin B6 (pyridoxin)
  8. Vitamin B7 (biotin, vitamin H)
  9. Vitamin B9 (folic acid, folate, folacin, vitamin M)
  10. Vitamin B12 (cobalamin)
  11. Vitamin Bp (choline)
  12. Vitamin C (ascorbic acid)
  13. Vitamin D (vitamin D2 or ergocalciferol, and vitamin D3 or cholecalciferol)
  14. Vitamin E (tocopherol)
  15. Vitamin K (vitamin K1, K2, K3, K4, K5, K6, which all are naphthoquinones)
  16. Calcium
  17. Chloride
  18. Chromium
  19. Copper
  20. Iodine
  21. Iron
  22. Magnesium
  23. Manganese
  24. Molibden
  25. Phosphorus
  26. Potassium
  27. Selenium
  28. Sodium
  29. Sulfur
  30. Zinc
  31. Alpha-linolenic acid (ALA)
  32. Linoleic acid
  33. Arginine (essential only for children)
  34. Isoleucine
  35. Histidine (essential only for children)
  36. Leucine
  37. Lysine
  38. Methionine
  39. Phenylalanine
  40. Tryptophan
  41. Threonine
  42. Valine
Not sure if water goes on the list, and if sulfur as a separate element is essential, but I'm pretty much convinced all other are essential. So, I need 3 more nutrients at least.

Aluminium, arsenic, boron, fluoride, germanium, lithium, nickel, silicon, tin, vanadium are currently not on the list (according to few online sources). Fluoride was already on the list, but was later removed.

Kenn

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Cobalt is probably one, but I suspect that some of the others are in the list that you have excluded. Water is not normally considered a nutrient (a little like oxygen) although it is obviously essential!

boron

Health writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.healthhype.com
Cobalt is already considered in cobalamin (vit B12). The eventual role of cobalt as an independent element is currently not known, so I think it's not on the list.

Last edited:

Giant Baby

Oh, the humanity.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Boron,

There's a list of 45 on this site here. It differs from your's slightly, but please note that it's a site selling a product (never my favorite kind of resource). Hopefully some of what's listed will fill in your gaps.

Strange it's so difficult to find the list on a science based site, when the list is referred to so frequently on the web. Full disclosure- I didn't dig terribly deeply, but I was still surprised.

Wikipedia's got a list of 42 here (probably close to yours? I didn't do a comparason), but then it includes three elements as well to bring the number to 45. And as a bonus for Sassandgroove, one of them is, indeed, boron.

:D

GB

boron

Health writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.healthhype.com
@ Puma, yes, molybdenum

@ sassandgroove, Boron was alaready confirmed to be beneficial, but as I know, it's not already on the list of essential nutrients.

@Giant Baby, no serious site with the list, yes..neither Wikipedia and the other list are accurate. Glucose, as a nutrient is not essential...