PDA

View Full Version : 45 Essential Nutrients?

boron
08-20-2010, 04:36 PM
I'm searching for the "current official list" of essential nutrients for human. According to Merck Manual, there should be 45 of them, but no list is provided.

I have this list for now:
Water
Vitamin A (retinol)
Vitamin B1 (thiamin)
Vitamin B2 (riboflavin)
Vitamin B3 (niacin, vitamin P, vitamin PP)
Vitamin B5 (panthotenic acid)
Vitamin B6 (pyridoxin)
Vitamin B7 (biotin, vitamin H)
Vitamin B9 (folic acid, folate, folacin, vitamin M)
Vitamin B12 (cobalamin)
Vitamin Bp (choline)
Vitamin C (ascorbic acid)
Vitamin D (vitamin D2 or ergocalciferol, and vitamin D3 or cholecalciferol)
Vitamin E (tocopherol)
Vitamin K (vitamin K1, K2, K3, K4, K5, K6, which all are naphthoquinones)
Calcium
Chloride
Chromium
Copper
Iodine
Iron
Magnesium
Manganese
Molibden
Phosphorus
Potassium
Selenium
Sodium
Sulfur
Zinc
Alpha-linolenic acid (ALA)
Linoleic acid
Arginine (essential only for children)
Isoleucine
Histidine (essential only for children)
Leucine
Lysine
Methionine
Phenylalanine
Tryptophan
Threonine
Valine
Not sure if water goes on the list, and if sulfur as a separate element is essential, but I'm pretty much convinced all other are essential. So, I need 3 more nutrients at least.

Aluminium, arsenic, boron, fluoride, germanium, lithium, nickel, silicon, tin, vanadium are currently not on the list (according to few online sources). Fluoride was already on the list, but was later removed.

Kenn
08-21-2010, 01:16 AM
Cobalt is probably one, but I suspect that some of the others are in the list that you have excluded. Water is not normally considered a nutrient (a little like oxygen) although it is obviously essential!

boron
08-21-2010, 10:11 AM
Cobalt is already considered in cobalamin (vit B12). The eventual role of cobalt as an independent element is currently not known, so I think it's not on the list.

Puma
08-21-2010, 11:13 PM
Did you mean molybdenum?

sassandgroove
08-21-2010, 11:37 PM
wouldn't it be funny if one of them turned out to be boron? ;)

Giant Baby
08-22-2010, 12:37 AM
Hi Boron,

There's a list of 45 on this site here (http://www.allergyantidotes.com/Products_files/essentialnutrients.htm). It differs from your's slightly, but please note that it's a site selling a product (never my favorite kind of resource). Hopefully some of what's listed will fill in your gaps.

Strange it's so difficult to find the list on a science based site, when the list is referred to so frequently on the web. Full disclosure- I didn't dig terribly deeply, but I was still surprised.

Wikipedia's got a list of 42 here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Essential_nutrients) (probably close to yours? I didn't do a comparason), but then it includes three elements as well to bring the number to 45. And as a bonus for Sassandgroove, one of them is, indeed, boron.

:D

GB

boron
08-23-2010, 11:38 AM
@ Puma, yes, molybdenum

@ sassandgroove, Boron was alaready confirmed to be beneficial, but as I know, it's not already on the list of essential nutrients.

@Giant Baby, no serious site with the list, yes..neither Wikipedia and the other list are accurate. Glucose, as a nutrient is not essential...