PDA

View Full Version : Light and Dark in Aramaic

Alitriona
08-20-2010, 03:59 AM
I'm looking for the words Light and Dark in Aramaic, the older variation the better. The thing is, I need the written English versions of the words.

The nearest I can find is Cheshkah for dark and I can't find light.

If someone could help me out I would be very grateful.

spottedgeckgo
08-22-2010, 08:02 AM
I believe that "Light of the World Ministries" has a copy of the bible that has complete translations in aramaic and hebrew, both where appropriate. That is usually the best way to learn this kind of stuff. Sort of like a Rosseta Stone for other languages.

I learned to read ancient egyptian with a copy of the book of the dead that was translated in this way. (Of course that was a short stint and all of that knowlege has been purged by time and boose). I'm sure that you can find "light" (all definitions) and "Dark" in multiple places in a bible.

Alitriona
08-23-2010, 01:12 AM
Thanks so much.

spottedgeckgo
08-23-2010, 04:32 AM
Thanks so much.

Not a problem. I only wish I knew more. I was going to learn aramaic but been putting it off for years now. There is a website that has a lot of words and their translations in aramaic, if I can find I will let u know.

spottedgeckgo
08-23-2010, 04:45 AM
Pay dirt,,

My Keyboard doesn't know how to speak aramaic so you can see how the words (and in fact, begin learning the language) at http://www.learnassyrian.com/home.html . This is where I was looking before to try and learn assyrian.

Important note, there are many different dialects of aramaic depending on the time/location of your novel, but I don't think the average reader or editor will know the difference, or anyone else for that matter, just you and me ;)

For light and dark, the pronunciation follows:
Light: AACHOOKH
Dark: TOKH

Alitriona
08-23-2010, 06:54 PM
Oh thank you so much :-) For all your help, I really appriciate it. I hate when I get stuck on something and can't move past until I figure it out.