PDA

View Full Version : Recommending a book is advertising?

happywritermom
08-20-2010, 02:57 AM
I got my hand slapped on an online twins forum today for recommending a book and providing a link to the author's website. Advertising, the moderator argued. I do know the author, but I'm not making a penny off it and it's a really good book. Never got nailed for recommending strollers or sleep sacks or diaper bags and providing links to those sites though.
I'm thinking it's yet another indicator that some people spend too much time online and not enough time reading.

Laura Lond
08-20-2010, 03:03 AM
I guess some people see it as advertising... Beats me why. If I am not the author, and the link I give is not my affiliate link, isn't it obvious that I am not getting any money for recommending the book?

blacbird
08-20-2010, 03:08 AM
There's a lot of spam out there. Many discussion sites (including this one) are pretty sensitive to it, and take stringent steps to stamp it out whenever it becomes evident. You may simply have run up against that sensitivity, and it may not have been clearly evident from your post what the real situation was. Spammers often try to disguise what they do by making it look as innocent as possible.

happywritermom
08-20-2010, 03:19 AM
I used to moderate a national forum and we had to deal with spammers often, but I've been an active member of this particular group for almost four years. I probably should not have mentioned that I know the author, though that shouldn't matter.

Stacia Kane
08-20-2010, 04:33 AM
That's pretty ridiculous IMO, especially if you've been a member for four years. But I guess they have their own rules. Sorry that happened to you, that sucks.

Phaeal
08-20-2010, 04:15 PM
If they allow links to other products, they should allow links to books. I would bring this up to the moderators.

spike
08-21-2010, 12:24 AM
Some self publishing web sites recommend joining as many forums as possible to promote your book.

Probably that web site had a bad experience with authors spamming.

Terie
08-21-2010, 02:11 AM
Some self publishing web sites recommend joining as many forums as possible to promote your book.

Probably that web site had a bad experience with authors spamming.

I moderate a Yahoo group with exactly this problem.....and I would NEVER slap a long-standing member's wrist for a simple recommendation.

There is a HUGE and OBVIOUS difference between a new member whose joined for self-promotion purposes and a participating member adding to the discussion. If the moderator can't tell the difference, that's unfortunate.

I'd suggest having a chat with the moderator offlist asking why it's all right to recommend other products but not books. I'd be positive and proactive, not defensive. See if you can reach a meeting of the minds.

And I'm sorry you've had this experience. It sux.