PDA

View Full Version : Is it just me or are most of the agencies new(ish)?

defyalllogic
08-20-2010, 12:32 AM
it seems half the threads i see in the B&BC are indicating that the agency is new or the agent is experience but branching out from an established agency.

is there high turnover in businesses and individuals. is there room for all this branching out?

how do you feel about new agents/agencies/ new agencies started by established agents/etc?

is the agent or agency most import when researching? (hear it's not unlikely you'll get dropped if your agent leaves the agency. can you plan for they just in case when you get your contract? if the go to another agency/branch out have likely they signed a non-compete and can't bring you with them?)

waylander
08-20-2010, 12:54 AM
New agents or agencies represent the best opportunities for unagented writers.
Established agents may take on only a handful of new clients a year, some of the best agents won't even take unpublished authors. A new agent needs to build a list and start selling or they're toast.
So a new agent at an established agency, or someone setting up as an agent with a verifiable track record (like an ex-editor) is a really good bet for querying

Ryan_Sullivan
08-20-2010, 01:53 AM
New agents are great, hardworking, and wonderful--but unfortunately there is a much higher risk that they will leave the business or not have the contacts you need. But, it is a lot harder to sign with an established/big agency, and if you do sign, it can take more time to do things. That said, if you find a new agent, who is absolutely in love with your work and you get along with perfectly, go for it. You want somebody passionate that you can work with.

As far as agencies go--I don't think it's the most important factor, but I definitely would say, if I didn't have my agent, I would want somebody else at the agency. Agencies have a certain feel usually, and while the agents within them are different, they often share similarities in style/work ethic/etc. There are some big agencies I would never want to work with.

Jamesaritchie
08-20-2010, 01:59 AM
New agents can be wonderful, or horrible. An agent with no experience is not an agent at all, and stands less chance of placing your book than you do.

But a new agent who has left a big agency in order to start her own agency can be a Godsend. She needs clients, will usually have several open slots, and such an agent is a great find.

A new agent who has experience as an acquisition editor for a large publisher is also a great find.