Copyright Question

Bartholomew

Comic guy
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
I have a book that's falling apart. It's out of print, and I can't find a used copy. I'm 90% sure this is still copyrighted.

If I scan it and save it to my computer, am I violating the author's estate's rights? I'm not distributing it - I'm just making a readable version that won't fall apart.

efkelley

ow
Registered
Reaction score
You're permitted to make your own backup copy of all digital media. So scanning in a book is in the nature of a backup. Not sure if that's covered under law, but unless you try to sell the digital version or distribute it to people other than yourself, I think you're okay on legal grounds. Pretty sure the FBI isn't going to make an issue out of this. ;)

On moral grounds, you did your diligence. And it's not like the author or publisher would get any money if you bought a used one anyway. I think you're fine.

Deleted member 42

I have a book that's falling apart. It's out of print, and I can't find a used copy. I'm 90% sure this is still copyrighted.

If I scan it and save it to my computer, am I violating the author's estate's rights? I'm not distributing it - I'm just making a readable version that won't fall apart.

If you do not distribute it or charge for access for it or use it as the basis of a derivative work, you are probably within the safe harbor uses.

IANAL though so if you get sued you're on your own.