Deciphering agent submission requirements

macandal

Registered
Reaction score
An agent I want to submit a query to indicates that this is what a writer should do in querying her:

"Please submit a query letter, a sample of the work, and a stamped self-addressed envelope for reply to the mailing address below."

Everything makes sense except the part about "a sample of the work". What's the appropriate amount of my work that I should submit? Is 50 pgs too much? Thanks.

Julie Worth

What? I have a title?
Registered
Reaction score
macandal said:
An agent I want to submit a query to indicates that this is what a writer should do in querying her:

"Please submit a query letter, a sample of the work, and a stamped self-addressed envelope for reply to the mailing address below."

Everything makes sense except the part about "a sample of the work". What's the appropriate amount of my work that I should submit? Is 50 pgs too much? Thanks.

The first thirty to one hundred pages, cutting it off wherever is most logical, is what I would do. And since they don't ask for a synopsis, be sure not to send one.

macandal

Registered
Reaction score
My novel is not divided into chapters, but at 60 pgs there is a nice pause. Almost like the end of a chapter.

PurpleLady

Registered
Reaction score
I agree with what the others have suggested. Usually I am seeing something like "the first three chapters," "first 50 pages," or "three sample chapters." Of course, if they are talking page count, don't split a chapter. Send them the complete chapter, even if it goes over the page count.

Many of the agent's web sites are loaded with disclaimers. They warn you that if you don't send them exactly what they have requested, they will disregard your submission. They mean it. Their time is very valuable. So, if they don't ask for something (such as a synopsis), don't send it. If they ask for a one-page query letter only, that is what you send them.

Dhewco

Registered
Reaction score
Just curious, how do you break up your novel, if not by chapters?

Julie Worth

What? I have a title?
Registered
Reaction score
PurpleLady said:
...Usually I am seeing something like "the first three chapters," "first 50 pages," or "three sample chapters." Of course, if they are talking page count, don't split a chapter. Send them the complete chapter, even if it goes over the page count...

If an agent says 50 pages, most of them will take 48 or 52. But not all—some want exactly 50. The thing to do in that case is to fiddle with the font size, margins, and line spacing until you get your submission to end at a logical point on page 50. Then drop down a couple of lines and type--

END OF SUBMISSION