"Wore" or "Was wearing"

DannySherbet

Wellversed in procrastination.
Registered
Reaction score
I suspect this will be obvious to the more experienced writers on here, but, without wishing to appear like a complete novice, please can someone tell me which of these is correct (third party, past tense).

'He looked at the girl. She was wearing a flowery dress and some sunglasses.'

or

'He looked at the girl. She wore a flowery dress and some sunglasses.'

Thanks. Danny.

Reaction score
Both are technically correct, but 'was wearing' is a form of the verb to be, which is frowned on if it's used too much. Purely from a stylistic point of view, I'd go for 'wore'.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Either is correct. "Was wearing" is the past progressive tense, for something which took place and continued. Usually it's best reserved for contrasting an ongoing activity with one that took place at the same time and is in straight past tense.

Examples:
Maryn was shucking a dozen ears of corn when the power failed. (My shucking was a continuous activity taking place when another action occurred.)
Maryn was writing her reply when Scarlet posted. (My writing was going on while Scarlet hit Post Quick Reply.)

Maryn, clear as mud

Reaction score
I bow to Maryn's wisdom. I knew there was a proper name for this, and 'past progressive' is it.

DannySherbet

Registered
Reaction score
Both are technically correct, but 'was wearing' is a form of the verb to be, which is frowned on if it's used too much. Purely from a stylistic point of view, I'd go for 'wore'.

Thank you. You've helped with a sentence I've been agonising over all day.

DannySherbet

Registered
Reaction score
Either is correct. "Was wearing" is the past progressive tense, for something which took place and continued. Usually it's best reserved for contrasting an ongoing activity with one that took place at the same time and is in straight past tense.

Examples:
Maryn was shucking a dozen ears of corn when the power failed. (My shucking was a continuous activity taking place when another action occurred.)
Maryn was writing her reply when Scarlet posted. (My writing was going on while Scarlet hit Post Quick Reply.)

Maryn, clear as mud

Thank you.

Said The Sun

foremost, for prose
Registered
Reaction score
Oh neat. *Goes through entire MS looking for past progressive stances and makes sure they are applied correctly.*

Gotta love these AW women.

FennelGiraffe

It's green they say
Registered
Reaction score

Forms of to be used in the continuous/progressive tenses--is wearing, was wearing, has been wearing--are inoffensive. The bad rep comes from some other uses. The appropriate use of progressive tense is a separate issue.

Barber

Timing is everything...
Registered
Reaction score
I'd go with "was wearing". Unless of, course, she took it off before his very eyes, thus making the wearing past tense and not progressive past. She continued to wear this dress, right?

A lot of writers fear use of the word "was" because they learn early on that it's a hint of passive voice. Either way, you need to develop your own preferences from listening to others'. That one's mine. :)

RJK

Sheriff Bullwinkle the Poet says:
Registered
Reaction score
Based on Maryn's "was wearing" definition, does that mean if she wore a flowery dress, I, somehow, got her out of it?

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Either is correct, and either is just fine to use. Just be consistent.

Qbynewbie

New but not a kid anymore :)
Registered
Reaction score
I suspect this will be obvious to the more experienced writers on here, but, without wishing to appear like a complete novice, please can someone tell me which of these is correct (third party, past tense).

or

Thanks. Danny.

I'm late to the party: one of the problems of being a newbie. :)

I agree that both are correct. However, I think that exact meaning conveyed by the two sentences is subtly different:

This seems to indicate an action that occurred in the past and was done with quite quickly. He looked at her, saw that she wore a flowery dress, and moved on.

The use of the past progressive here implies a lingering of the action. He looked at her long enough to see that she was wearing a flowery dress and some sunglasses. To my mind, in this case, he continues to look at her with at least some kind of interest, consistent with the ongoing nature of "was wearing".

claws2

Banned
Reaction score
I'm late to the party: one of the problems of being a newbie. :)

I agree that both are correct. However, I think that exact meaning conveyed by the two sentences is subtly different:

This seems to indicate an action that occurred in the past and was done with quite quickly. He looked at her, saw that she wore a flowery dress, and moved on.

The use of the past progressive here implies a lingering of the action. He looked at her long enough to see that she was wearing a flowery dress and some sunglasses. To my mind, in this case, he continues to look at her with at least some kind of interest, consistent with the ongoing nature of "was wearing".
If you wanted to show that his look was a lingering type, then wouldn't that be an argument for the below sentence?
He was looking at the girl.
And whether he "looked" or "was looking," the girl would still be wearing her dress (I assume). The narrative to show that the girl was wearing, or still wearing, her dress could be expressed with either she "wore" or "was wearing," as in this instance, I'd think that both phrases would have the same connotation (in the sample sentence, and without its surrounding context).

imo. :)

P.S. This thread is kinda old -- 3 weeks old -- and old threads are usually kinda allowed to gently fade into the night (or something like that).