• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Beta reader for SF story

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fiender

Registered
Reaction score
Looking For- a beta reader, although I am willing to beta for someone in return.

When I started this novel, it was mostly just a little hobby to pass the time while I queried for my first manuscript, but seeing that it's now passed 17k words I might consider trying to get this one published once it's done.

I'm looking for a chapter-by chapter beta read, to help push this in the right direction and to help give me more incentive to work on it.

The story is called The Alliance, and it follows a few key members of a battleship's crew, as they take part in several battles along the traverse (an uncharted region in between borders). Following an ambush, a betrayal, and stories of ships disappearing in the traverse (including high-level warships), the Syracuse and her crew are dispatched to patrol and protect the borders of human territory.

^That is the basic jist of the story, please understand that I am TERRIBLE at summaries/synopsizes.

If you are interested in beta-ing for this as-of-right-now incomplete manuscript, please post or send me a PM; hopefully we can arrange something.
I am looking for any comments on the story, characters, prose, grammar/spelling, pretty much everything about the novel that can be criticized (except for, maybe, the font).

And of course, I'm willing to beta for someone in return :)

I've posted a sample chapter in Share Your Work, if you're interested in seeing how this story is being told. Read it, and decide whether or not you are interested in beta-ing for this novel:
The Alliance, Sample Chapter

Last edited:

Fiender

Registered
Reaction score
Okay, forty three views and not even one reply? Would someone please tell me what is so off-putting about my post?

Birol

Around and About
Registered
Reaction score
Nothing that I see. In a forum of 25,000+ actual members, 43 views is nothing.

I looked because of the title of the thread; I'm not offering to beta read because I have a full plate and do not do so any longer.

stephenf

Registered
Reaction score
Okay, forty three views and not even one reply? Would someone please tell me what is so off-putting about my post?

I am interested in reading science fiction, so I've looked.
But I'm not interested battle ship stories.

Try posting a sample on Share your work You might get a better response

Fiender

Registered
Reaction score
^Yea, I was thinking about doing that anyway :p

Done; the chapter is posted and I've linked that topic to this one and vice-versa.

M.C.BROWN

Registered
Reaction score
If you are still looking, I'll read it for you. I have a completed novel of 85,850 words I would like read. I'm aching to send mine off, but hesitanty as no one has read it.

nitaworm

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
I'll do an exhange. Your first 100 pages for mine...

Fiender

Registered
Reaction score
I'll do an exhange. Your first 100 pages for mine...

Well honestly, this book isn't at 100 pages yet, and I was looking for an on-going beta read as chapters get completed.

Status
Not open for further replies.