PDA

View Full Version : I FINALLY "get" Hamlet

Otterella
08-19-2010, 11:36 AM
I have always maintained that Hamlet was a simpering little whiner who needed to pull his head out of his own ass and grow up already. I've never gotten why it's hailed as such a masterpiece when King Lear is so much better. And Macbeth. And Romeo and Juliet.

Then David Tennant ROCKED MY F&%#ING WORLD.

Hamlet has never felt so real, so deep, and so gritty to me before. I've just been steamrolled by 400 years of heartbreak that I never understood before now. I get it. And I love it.

Paul
08-19-2010, 12:08 PM
Always good to get the greatest play of all time. congrats.
(toby or not toby)

Diana Hignutt
08-19-2010, 03:55 PM
Now, you're ready for Hamlet 2! :)

SPOILER ALERT: Jesus shows up with his Time Machine and with Hamlet, they prevent all the deaths in the play, Jesus leaves, Hamlet and Ophelia get engaged and everone lives happily ever after. ROCK ME, Sexy Jesus!

Satori1977
08-19-2010, 07:34 PM
I love Hamlet, and MacBeth...my two favorites of Shakespeare. Whenever we read his plays in high school, I would get so excited amidst all the groans from other kids.

I will have to watch the version with David Tennant, haven't seen that one.

kaitiepaige17
08-19-2010, 07:36 PM
Hamlet was one of the only Shakespearean plays I could handle. I did love Romeo and Juliet, however.

Satori1977
08-19-2010, 07:42 PM
R&J was my third favorite. Haven't read King Lear yet.

As far as movie versions go, I adore Much Ado About Nothing.

Lyra Jean
08-19-2010, 07:55 PM
I loved reading MacBeth in in HS. I got play Lady MacBeth and me and the guy who played MacBeth acted out our messy divorce in the school cafeteria trying to dump the kids onto each other instead of keeping them.

Lyra Jean
08-19-2010, 07:56 PM
R&J was my third favorite. Haven't read King Lear yet.

As far as movie versions go, I adore Much Ado About Nothing.

Is it the version with Emma Thompson in it. I love that movie version. Of course I haven't seen any of the others.

Toothpaste
08-19-2010, 08:23 PM
Check out the oft forgotten histories. Especially RICHARD II and HENRY IV PART I (PART II is okay, with one of the most moving scenes at the end, but it is a deeply flawed play in general, PART I is just wonderful).

Not that HAMLET isn't wonderful, I just find that when people cite Shakespeare plays it's usually the typical tragedies and the amazing Kenneth Branagh MUCH ADO. The histories tend not to be taught in school (except maybe RICHARD III and even maybe-er HENRY V) and so aren't as common in the public consciousness, but the above two plays are currently at the top of my list.

Should add, while I haven't seen the Tennant HAMLET, I adore him (saw him onstage in THE PILLOWMAN - scariest play ever) and have a super crush on him, and so I am sure the show is just wonderful :) .

DavidZahir
08-19-2010, 09:20 PM
I haven't seen Tennant's Hamlet yet. But that is on my list. Up until now the best Hamlet I've seen was directed by and starred Kevin Kline.

There are, imho, three good movies of Richard III. One starring Olivier, another marvelously modernized-ish version with Ian McKlellan as a 1930s fascist, and the third is a documentary called Looking For Richard with Al Pacino.

Adored Zefirelli's Taming of the Shrew, Branaugh's Henry V and Much Ado About Nothing. Plus there's a very good version of Twelfth Night starring Toby Stephens, Helena Bonham Carter, Ben Kingsley and many others.

Titus is a magnificently disturbing and powerful film of Shakespeare's first tragedy.

If you get a chance to see King Lear by Peter Brooks, do so. Ditto Ran, which is Kurosawa's Japanese retelling of it (his Throne of Blood may be the best Macbeth ever).

Bookewyrme
08-19-2010, 09:33 PM
Hrm. Am I the only person in the world who adores Shakespeare but thinks R&J should be taken out back and shot? I have so much hate for that play (well, alright, except for Mercutio. Much <3 for him). Then again, I've never been overly fond of the tragedies, while I think the comedies are hysterically funny, and way understudied!

Taming of the Shrew is brilliant, and I adore the hyjinks of Twelfth Night and A Midsummer Night's Dream. There's a really interesting version of Dream with Calista Flockhart and Michelle Pfeiffer which I enjoyed. Zefirelli's Shrew is one of my favorite movies ever.

Aaanyway, starting to ramble.

Satori1977
08-19-2010, 09:37 PM
Is it the version with Emma Thompson in it. I love that movie version. Of course I haven't seen any of the others.

Yes, I have only seen that one. Emma Thompson, Kenneth Branagh, really lovely cast.

Satori1977
08-19-2010, 09:39 PM
Hrm. Am I the only person in the world who adores Shakespeare but thinks R&J should be taken out back and shot? I have so much hate for that play (well, alright, except for Mercutio. Much <3 for him). Then again, I've never been overly fond of the tragedies, while I think the comedies are hysterically funny, and way understudied!

Taming of the Shrew is brilliant, and I adore the hyjinks of Twelfth Night and A Midsummer Night's Dream. There's a really interesting version of Dream with Calista Flockhart and Michelle Pfeiffer which I enjoyed. Zefirelli's Shrew is one of my favorite movies ever.

Aaanyway, starting to ramble.

I love many of the comedies as well. Shrew and Dream are wonderful. But I have a thing for tragedies. I loved R&J. I just don't like when people call it the greatest love story ever. Totally misses the point.

Satori1977
08-19-2010, 09:43 PM
Check out the oft forgotten histories. Especially RICHARD II and HENRY IV PART I (PART II is okay, with one of the most moving scenes at the end, but it is a deeply flawed play in general, PART I is just wonderful).

Not that HAMLET isn't wonderful, I just find that when people cite Shakespeare plays it's usually the typical tragedies and the amazing Kenneth Branagh MUCH ADO. The histories tend not to be taught in school (except maybe RICHARD III and even maybe-er HENRY V) and so aren't as common in the public consciousness, but the above two plays are currently at the top of my list.

Should add, while I haven't seen the Tennant HAMLET, I adore him (saw him onstage in THE PILLOWMAN - scariest play ever) and have a super crush on him, and so I am sure the show is just wonderful :) .

They really should teach more in high school I think (college courses will go much more in-depth). But because they don't many people don't know his other works. I really think the majority of people that have read Shakespeare only read it because they had to in school. I started collecting his works and have read most of them, but the ones I did in school are still some of my favorites (probably a reason those ones are singled out).

Henry IV is excellent, especially Part I.

kuwisdelu
08-20-2010, 05:30 AM
Hamlet is great. But how come Othello never gets any love? It's my favorite.

Bookewyrme
08-20-2010, 05:33 AM
Hamlet is great. But how come Othello never gets any love? It's my favorite.

Oooh! I forgot about Othello! One of the few tragedies I really enjoy, but that's entirely because the villain is sooo awesome. The hero and heroine are...meh...IMO, but Iago is frelling brilliant. I can't remember for sure, but I feel like we actually studied Othello in one of my high school english classes. I could be just remembering reading and discussing it on my own though.

SirOtter
08-20-2010, 05:42 AM
Hrm. Am I the only person in the world who adores Shakespeare but thinks R&J should be taken out back and shot? I have so much hate for that play (well, alright, except for Mercutio. Much <3 for him).

Not my favorite, either, although I, too, think well of Mercutio. It's sad when the best part of a play is one of the supporting characters. I rather enjoyed what was done to the haury old thing in Hot Fuzz - "Three hours of so-called acting, and the only convincing thing about it was the kiss!"