PDA

View Full Version : How Come "Movie" Movies Suck?

DwayneA
08-19-2010, 09:47 AM
You know the ones. "Scary Movie", "Date Movie", "Epic Movie", "Superhero Movie", and especially "Disaster Movie". These and other spoof movies such as "Meet the Spartans". How come they all sucked?

dpaterso
08-19-2010, 10:32 AM
Depends on your point of view. A lot of people found them funny and liked how they poked fun at the original movies and their clichés. Sure, the humor is often silly and groanworthy, but you were supposed to leave your brain at the door and bring your sense of humor along instead.

They made money, too!

Scary Movie:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0175142/business

Scary Movie 4 (six years after the first)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0362120/business

-Derek

kuwisdelu
08-19-2010, 12:27 PM
You know the ones. "Scary Movie", "Date Movie", "Epic Movie", "Superhero Movie", and especially "Disaster Movie". These and other spoof movies such as "Meet the Spartans". How come they all sucked?

Because they have no real effort put into them and they're only made to cash in on the success of other movies.

maxmordon
08-19-2010, 02:04 PM
It's mostly because they are branded as being "parodies" of their genre, but more often that not they know very little of the movie they are parodying, meaning it's a very shallow and ineffective parody and follow very little the "genre" movies they are meant to be made fun of.

Naked Gun and Airplane! are classics of parody movies since they obviously know very well patterns or "tropes" used and over used by the genres they are poking fun at (cop movies and shows and disaster movies, respectively), while the "movie" movies simply like to show characters of whatever movie premiered that year on weird situations with very little relation with their actual plot, even simply making fun of the trailer.

If anything it's a pastiche rather than a proper parody. And not a very good one, since it's humor, as a lot of bad humor nowadays, it's based on grossout and random pop culture references. The former is vulgar and childish and the later is weak and quickly becomes outdated.

Also, Seltzer and Friedberg have an odd penchant on putting rap moments there for no reason whatsoever.

Celia Cyanide
08-19-2010, 06:17 PM

Because their whole point is to be like the Chris Farley show, and say, "Remember that time? When that guy was in that one movie and he did that? Yeah, that was awesome..."

Jcomp
08-19-2010, 07:17 PM
It's mostly because they are branded as being "parodies" of their genre, but more often that not they know very little of the movie they are parodying, meaning it's a very shallow and ineffective parody and follow very little the "genre" movies they are meant to be made fun of.

Because their whole point is to be like the Chris Farley show, and say, "Remember that time? When that guy was in that one movie and he did that? Yeah, that was awesome..."

Pretty much. The guys making the movies didn't realize that creating a parody requires actual parody and not just references. The first Airplane movie actually used the full plot (and much of the dialogue) of a lesser known disaster movie called Zero Hour! It wasn't just a hodge-podge of elements from a bunch of loosely related flicks mixed with unrelated pop-culture references.

kaitiepaige17
08-19-2010, 07:22 PM
Well, I can't bash Date Movie because it has sentimental value attached to it :D

Satori1977
08-19-2010, 07:29 PM
Because they have no real effort put into them and they're only made to cash in on the success of other movies.

This. Some are ok, but I don't think many really try hard. They take the easy road, the easy jokes.

Satori1977
08-19-2010, 07:31 PM

Naked Gun and Airplane! are classics of parody movies since they obviously know very well patterns or "tropes" used and over used by the genres they are poking fun at (cop movies and shows and disaster movies, respectively), while the "movie" movies simply like to show characters of whatever movie premiered that year on weird situations with very little relation with their actual plot, even simply making fun of the trailer.

If anything it's a pastiche rather than a proper parody. And not a very good one, since it's humor, as a lot of bad humor nowadays, it's based on grossout and random pop culture references. The former is vulgar and childish and the later is weak and quickly becomes outdated.

Also, Seltzer and Friedberg have an odd penchant on putting rap moments there for no reason whatsoever.

And this. Shallow is a very good way of putting it.

Now Naked Gun and Airplane are classics, and IMO, very funny. I also enjoy a lot of Mel Brooks' parodies. The ones made nowadays with inevitably the word "Movie" in it, probably won't be very good.

Lyra Jean
08-19-2010, 07:36 PM
I found with the "Scary Movie" that if you watch enough previews you've seen the entire movie. I kid you not. Finally watched with a friend one day and about every 15 minutes I was saying, "I remember seeing that in the preview" well all the best parts anyways.

CaroGirl
08-19-2010, 07:52 PM
The (arguably) "good" movie parody films:

Spaceballs
Airplane!
Naked Gun
Top Secret!

They aren't all bad. There are good ones and bad ones, like any film genre. The ones the OP listed sucked for same reason any movie sucks. Mostly because they're bad movies with lazy writing and directing. That disease afflicts all kinds of movie genres, not just spoofs and parodies.

Zoombie
08-19-2010, 08:26 PM
Seltzer and Friedberg are incompetent jackasses.

Satori1977
08-19-2010, 08:40 PM
The (arguably) "good" movie parody films:

Spaceballs
Airplane!
Naked Gun
Top Secret!

They aren't all bad. There are good ones and bad ones, like any film genre. The ones the OP listed sucked for same reason any movie sucks. Mostly because they're bad movies with lazy writing and directing. That disease afflicts all kinds of movie genres, not just spoofs and parodies.

Forgot about Spaceballs!! Love that movie.

sassandgroove
08-19-2010, 08:50 PM
I haven't seen any of them so I couldn't say. I have seen airplane and naked gun, and spaceballs, and enjoyed them, and heard of zero hour, so there you go. I 'm going to say I agree with Maxmordon. I'll sound intelligent that way.

Oh yeah, top secret. What about Hot Shots?

Zoombie
08-19-2010, 08:56 PM
My favorite parodies are good movies in their own rights.

Galaxy Quest has a real character arc, awesome space battles, and a creative and scary bad guy.

Mystery Men is actually a really awesome superhero team movie, with inventive and flashy villains.

Hot Fuzz is a pretty good mystery followed by a pretty DAMN good action movie, with great characterization and directing.

Shaun of the Dead never forgets to be a good zombie movie, even when its being an absolutely hysterical romantic comedy.

And so on.

Satori1977
08-19-2010, 09:01 PM

Galaxy Quest has a real character arc, awesome space battles, and a creative and scary bad guy.

Mystery Men is actually a really awesome superhero team movie, with inventive and flashy villains.

Hot Fuzz is a pretty good mystery followed by a pretty DAMN good action movie, with great characterization and directing.

Shaun of the Dead never forgets to be a good zombie movie, even when its being an absolutely hysterical romantic comedy.

And so on.

Galaxy Quest is so good that I often forget it is a parody. Great characters (and actors), writing, dialogue, and funny as hell.

Shaun of the Dead is pretty funny itself. Recently saw it again because I have been in a Zombie mood.

Zoombie
08-19-2010, 09:04 PM
In one of my tabletop RPGs, I had my players attacked by a rock monster while exploring a strange alien world. The characters ended up quoiting Galaxy Quest verbatim:

"Quick, go for the eyes, go for the vulnerable spots!"

"ITS A ROCK MONSTER! IT DOESN'T HAVE ANY VULNERABLE SPOTS!"

Lyra Jean
08-19-2010, 10:31 PM
I think the really good parodies are the ones you don't realize are parodies.

maxmordon
08-19-2010, 11:24 PM
I think the really good parodies are the ones you don't realize are parodies.

This was a problem with the delightfully campy British comedy Garth Marenghi's Darkplace, too many people saw it and thought it was an actual show rather than a parody of cheap crazy early 1980's television, same thing can happened on the other way, though, I thought Airwolf was a parody a la Garth Marenghi the first time I saw it on TCM...

SirOtter
08-20-2010, 12:28 AM
The first Airplane movie actually used the full plot (and much of the dialogue) of a lesser known disaster movie called Zero Hour!

Not to mention the characters' names. Zero Hour! was on TCM recently, and wasn't all that bad a watch for having had about $47 spent on it.

DavidZahir
08-20-2010, 12:35 AM
IMHO...

All these movies are just a string of jokes. That might make a good comedy sketch, but it doesn't make for a good movie. Consider Young Frankenstein or Being There or Tootsie. Each of these are good stories, but were played to humorous effect. Even the more outlandish comedies like Animal House are built around a story.

maxmordon
08-20-2010, 07:52 AM
I bet if Airplane! was done by Friedberg and Seltzer it would be a series of characters going up and about between a tower in fire, an airplane, a ship upside down and an earthquake and everyone would be saying things like "This is just like the Towering Inferno!" it would also include flimsy references to The Blues Brothers, The Empire Strikes Back and The Blue Lagoon, or at least their respective trailers.

Jessianodel
08-20-2010, 07:54 AM
They haven't even put effort in to come up with a real name.
What makes you think they'll have a real plot? ;)

kuwisdelu
08-20-2010, 08:43 AM

And so on.

Aye, those are some good parody movies.

Whereas the "____ Movie" scripts a basically like Mad Libs with whatever's currently in theaters.

BenPanced
08-20-2010, 09:54 AM
The movies Zoombie mentioned are parodies of particular genres: Galaxy Quest parodies science fiction, Mystery Men took on superheroes, Hot Fuzz buddy-cops movies, and Shaun of the Dead was a great mash-up of zombie movies and romantic comedies. The "________ Movie" series parodies specific movies, which might be fine for sketch comedy shows on TV but by the time a lot of these "________ Movie" get released, the original source material has moved out of the multiplexes, beyond the bargain houses, and have settled into a decent run on HBO or Showtime while waiting for the DVD release simulcast to hit On Demand on cable. They rely too much on the assumption that people have seen the original source material (300, Scream, The Breakfast Club, et. al.) to get the jokes, rather than jokes about the specific tropes that people remember the most about the genres.

CaroGirl
08-20-2010, 04:19 PM
I'll just chime in to say Galaxy Quest and Shaun of the Dead are bloody brilliant. I haven't seen Hot Fuzz yet. I must rent it soon.

Shadow_Ferret
08-20-2010, 05:41 PM
Not to mention the characters' names. Zero Hour! was on TCM recently, and wasn't all that bad a watch for having had about $47 spent on it.

I laughed at Zero Hour because I could see where Airplane! got all their jokes from. All this time I thought Airplane! was simply a brilliantly written movie. I didn't realize it had been taken almost verbatim from Zero Hour.

BenPanced
08-20-2010, 06:07 PM
Yeah. Which one is the source and which one is the parody?

maxmordon
08-20-2010, 06:54 PM
I just wanted to mention Not Another Teen Movie was written by other folks and not the folks of the "movie" movies and hence the different quality.

Celia Cyanide
08-20-2010, 06:56 PM
I just wanted to mention Not Another Teen Movie was written by other folks and not the folks of the "movie" movies and hence the different quality.

That one was still pretty bad, though.

Lyra Jean
08-20-2010, 07:50 PM
Sing her a song that has her name it.
Janie's got a gun.

Okay not the exact dialogue but I loved that scene. And that movie was better than the other "Movie" movies.

YukonMike
08-22-2010, 03:03 AM
They haven't even put effort in to come up with a real name.
What makes you think they'll have a real plot? ;)

Well put.

I have never seen any of the Airport movies, yet I think Airplane is one of the funniest movies ever. Today's parodies are fillled with lots of 'references' and very few jokes.

My four-word film review for Meet the Spartans:
"300 parody, 0 laughs." :)