• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Unsure if this is where I need to be

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdm

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Hello everyone. New here so I'll just say upfront that I have no patience for trying to wade through this site to figure out how to find what I am looking for (being anti-social and an old buzzard who hates electronic communication formats for the most part). I am looking for a couple of people to critique a 2 part western novel (finished) so obviously I would hope to find those who normally read that genre. This particular forum seems to center more around short stories rather than the 90,000 words that I have written. Is there a more appropriate place to search for a few beta readers? I am looking to eventually find a publisher if the stories don't bore people to death. Realizing that one is no judge of their own work in that respect (would we write something that bored ourselves?), a little more objectivity is in order. Can someone guide me to the appropriate forum or enlighten me a bit. I could not find the so-called "buddy list". Where is it? Oh, and no need to be gentle just because I am new.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
There is a separate forum to request a beta reader or writing buddy. You can find it here: http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=30

It's going to be hit-and-miss on finding someone. Being a good beta reader requires a significant commitment of time and effort, and without people knowing you a little better, most will pass (but, it's possible that someone will volunteer).

I'll go ahead and ask the moderator whether this thread should be moved to the beta reader forum, or left here. It could go either way since you're doing a western.

Good luck on finding someone. I would think about offering, but I've learned to be careful about how much time I can offer to others.

Last edited:

jdm

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Thanks

Thanks for the info. Had a difficult time getting back to the page where I left my post. I seem to have little patience for trying to navigate the site. I do understand about the time investment for being a beta reader. This may not be the place for me being that I am not sure how one goes about getting to know others on the site and them getting to know me.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
jdm, getting acquainted here is very much like getting acquainted in real life. You go where your interests lie and see what people are talking about. When you have something to say, whether it's a question or a funny comment or just an observation, you make it, taking care to follow AW's main rule, respect your fellow writer.

So while you may write westerns and should certainly figure out who else does, too, so you can talk to them, compare notes, trade the titles of your favorite reads, and so on, you might also find plenty of interest in Writing Novels, or Politics and Current Events, or Office Party.

If you're not used to getting around a good-sized website, you want to be sure to read the materials prepared for new arrivals. Start here. You might benefit from this and this in particular.

Fear not. If you can write a 90K novel, you can figure out something as simple as AW. When you're confused, just ask, okay?

Maryn, wearing an utterly impractical hostess apron

jdm

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Thank you Maryn

Thank you for your encouragement and input.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My pleasure. If I hadn't had teens in the house at just the right time, I'd probably be helpless online, like my sister is. (Her kids are 7-12 years older than mine.) Yesterday I emailed her and had it bounce back. Her account was closed--again--for inactivity. So I printed out my email to send in snail mail... sigh.

Maryn, showing you how advanced you are already

jdm

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Again , thanks for the encouragement. I am actually great at navigating the internet as I have had to do considerable research for my profession on it, but I have little patience for websites with multiple pages and no clear cut road map for how to get where you want to go. Many of these places aren't designed with the logic used by the average person when trying to locate the desired information. The EPA website is absolutely one of the worst in that regard.
I also confess to having not enough time to adequately join in on discussions and follow threads that closely, unlike my wife who is constantly replying to her online chat friends in various groups. I have found a gentleman who has been gracious enough to offer to exchange material for mutual critiquing so we will go from there and see how it works out. This is a great site for those who have enough time and patience to use it.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.