PDA

View Full Version : Beta reader for contemporary YA?

The_Ink_Goddess
08-19-2010, 01:29 AM
I really need a beta reader for my contemporary YA. It's currently at 38K, which means that it needs some padding out of 5-6K. It is the first draft (*gulp*) and I know it needs work, but I have this chronic problem of being unable to see specific problems with my writing. It's not that I think it's so wonderful that there's nothing wrong with it; I just can't pinpoint exact problems. I would love someone to comb through it and give any feedback they could.

It's about a boy who can alleviate emotional pain by causing himself physical pain. Warning: incessant swearing and less frequent violence.

Thank you! :)

Icedevimon
08-20-2010, 12:21 AM
I'm interested. Just a question first. When you say it's currently at 38k and needs padding out of 5-6k, are you saying you need to cut that much, or add that much? Sorry if the answer is obvious ^^'

The_Ink_Goddess
08-20-2010, 02:22 AM
Add it -- it's YA and I think 43K(ish) sounds like a good kind of total to query it at.

lm728
08-22-2010, 03:26 AM
I want to read it in exchange for a reciprocal beta, it seems dark. :D I can crit 50 pages at a time; my system is that you send me 50 pages, I crit them and send them back within 2-3 days, and you send me the next 50 pages. I don't do line-by-lines, I do chapter-by-chapters, and I do like to believe I write literary-commercial crossover YA so I have a strong sense of voice, rhythm, and syntax.
I'm a grammar Nazi.
And I also have a radar for pacing.
PM me if interested. :D You can read excerpts of my manuscript on my blog vvv, and I posted a thread looking for betas in this forum.

PS. I love your John Green signature quote.