Need quotes about breaking into magazines. Care to share?

Status
Not open for further replies.

VeggieChick

Registered
Reaction score
I'm writing an article about breaking into freelance writing, and need quotes from freelancers. Specifically, I want to know How did you get your first clip or How did you break into magazine writing?

You can tell me the whole story if you want, but all I need are short quotes. Any takers? (And let me know if I can use your full name in the article).

J.R.

easy...

Hey Chick, you don't allow emails to you...okay, I'll put it out here.

I wrote an article, sent it to Nor'Westing Magazine...and they bought it. So I wrote an editorial for the Mason County Journal, and the Editor bought it. Then I wrote a short story. The Editor claimed it was the only time he ever printed fiction on the Journal's Editorial Page.
- James Robert Daniels, freelance writer and author, Port Townsend, Washington
[30 years later, I'm going to have a peanut butter sammich for lunch now. but hey, it's a start. Please do use my name, and let me know what magazine(s)]

doubledee

I look for the "complaining" editor, the one that's had enough and wants to choke all her freelancers. Pitch your idea, but offer to produce whatever she may want because "hey, you're the editor, I'm just help." If you get a response, be willing to ditch your work and start from scratch. Match what the editor asked for, word for word, and expand it. If you don't know the subject; research, research and search again.

Dan Jefferies

Status
Not open for further replies.