How much of the ending do you put into the synopsis?

• Thread starter CourtneyAllisonMoulton
  • Start date

CourtneyAllisonMoulton

Hi :)

I know that you shouldn't leave the reader hanging and that you should describe the ending in brief detail in the synopsis, but how much detail exactly? For example, do you say who dies and who doesn't in the big climactic battle, or do you just say the book ends with a big climactic battle? Of course, not quite that elementary, but you get my meaning :)

I have a good chance of getting an opportunity to speak with a top agent from a top firm, so I want everything to be the best it can.

Thanks so much!
Courtney

three seven

(Graeme Cameron)
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
I actually find that deeply perplexing. We spend all this effort working the twists and surprises into our book, and then, by laying them all out up front, diminish the effect of the entire story on the one person we really want it to impress. Genius!

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
Not at all, three seven. The goal is to have the agent and/or editor be the equivalent of your co-author. That person MUST know that you've wrapped up the major plot points in the book satisfactorily, so it's a smooth storyline. Then the only question remaining is whether you've written that plot in an intriguing manner that will interest the readers.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
A lot of the times the destination is not nearly as interesting and captivating as the journey. True, for some genres (mystery, for example) revealing the ending might zap the enjoyment out of the read.

But agents do not read mss. for pleasure. To them, it's a business document, a product. They want to see if the product is solid enough to represent (and make $$$ on).

fedorable1

Hopeless Romantic
Registered
Reaction score
Both. It's a mutual, working relationship.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
three seven said:
That was a rhetorical question. I can quite categorically say that I'm not interested in having anything even resembling a co-author.

I see an agent as more of a business partner than a co-author. There's going to be only ONE author for my books, and that would be me.

three seven

(Graeme Cameron)
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
maestrowork said:
There's going to be only ONE author for my books, and that would be me.

stupid.gif

Wait, we didn't just agree on something, did we?
shocked.gif

CourtneyAllisonMoulton

Thanks a lot for your replies everyone :) This clears up some confusion I had.