• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Fantasy novel in the works

Status
Not open for further replies.

virus111

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I'm really new to the forums, and I'm not exactly sure what is fair game to post here. I have been working on a Fantasy novel for quite some time now. It's the first that I've ever tried to write, but in my defense, I have read my fair share of Fantasy novels. Because I'm not really... "experienced" in novel writing, the process is very slow. I have about 60 pages in Times New Roman 12 Font, double spaced.

I guess I am looking for a few people to read some (or all, if you are up for it) of it and give me completely blunt and honest oppinions of it, suggestions for things that need expanding, things that don't make sense etc. The early chapters were written in 5th grade and then edited to the moon and back, so they may be a bit more rough than the rest.

Is that something folks around here like to do? Do I need to finish the whole thing before people start giving me input? To get to the point...

help! what now?

Any input would be great. Thanks in advance for taking the time to read the post.

-Vi

dragonangel517

A.K.A CoffeeWench
Registered
Reaction score
Hey There, I am interested in reading what you have written so far. I am in the same boat, just started writing a story that has been in my head for a really long time. I call it a fantasy serial. Would you be interested in reading mine also? I am new on here, just signed up today. PM me or reply

virus111

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Sounds great! Didn't want to leave you hanging, I don't really have the time to say much now. PM me with whatever method is best for you to swap =) Looking forward to reading something new!

-Vi

Icedevimon

Queen of Darkness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.palaceofroleplay.sp-website.net
Yeah, pulling out of this. Sorry.

Virus offered to critique something of mine in turn. I asked him if he'd be comfortable with reading about a gay character.

He said:
Yeah that's probably not my cup of tea, not meaning to be rude at all, but as a writer im sure you would appreciate someone else's critique on that much more than mine. I generally want to steer clear of anything gushy and romantic anyways. Just doesnt spike my interest at all. Im more of a fantasy/scifi junkie.

This makes no sense, because he knew absolutely nothing about my manuscript aside from my character being gay. I didn't tell him genre, or plot. I just thought I'd let him know the character type just in case he was religiously against it. In fact, the story I wanted to send is fantasy, and has absolutely nothing to do with romance or gushyness. Or personal life, for that matter.

Furthermore, when I informed him that him jumping to conclusions was offensive, he replied thus:

. . . when you made a comment about the character's sexual orientation, I quickly came to the conclusion that (regardless of it being a gay character), it would be the type of story that I wouldn't be very interested in. I married my wife a month ago and I have no desire to have any conversation or read anything about anyone else's personal life, straight or gay.
How in the world does he read ANY story if this is the case?

Virus, you jump to conclusions, you seem to be rather prejudiced. I don't think you're a good match for anyone with this sort of attitude.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.