is there a buyer at a publishing house?

defyalllogic

i'm a girl. (i have tendonitis)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A "buyer" or merchandiser is a person who purchases finished goods, typically for resale, for a firm, government, or organization.

TJMAXX and Macy's have buyers who specialize in lines (women's, men's, kids)

does the agent connect with this person at a publishing house? or is there some other system?

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The buyer is essentially the editor to whom the agents submit. They pick up the manuscript, read it, and if they think it's worth it, they'll go back to their publisher and tell them about it. If the powers that be like the idea, the editor goes back to the agent to cut a deal.

Giant Baby

Oh, the humanity.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Acquisitions editors. The model isn't the same, though. Publishing isn't like most retail industries.

jclarkdawe

Feeling lucky, Query?
Registered
Reaction score
You've got your model cockeyed. TJMaxx and Macy's are retail outlets similar in the publishing industry to Borders and Barnes & Noble. And yes, Borders and Barnes & Nobles have buyers, who are approached by the marketing department of the publishers such as Penguin or Harpers.

Comparing publishing to clothing is somewhat difficult. But an editor would be roughly the same as a designer for Wrangler, Hanes, or Levi-Strauss (hey, I'm a guy, you're lucky I can come up this many names). Agents are a screening device because of the sheer number of proposals hitting publishers. And agents contact editors.

Best of luck,

Jim Clark-Dawe

Miss Plum

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Follow-up question: Is the acquisitions editor a different person from the one who ultimately works on the book with the agent? Does that vary from house to house?

Amarie

carpe libri
Registered
Reaction score
Follow-up question: Is the acquisitions editor a different person from the one who ultimately works on the book with the agent? Does that vary from house to house?

It varies. In my case, the acquistions editor is also the editor I work with on the manuscripts.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
And in my case, the acquisitions editor did the preliminary read on my manuscript and referred it to the editor-in-chief, who made the decision to offer a contract. I have a different person who's editing my manuscript.

Glen T. Brock

Registered
Reaction score
Hello folks,

The executive editor calls the shots. He supervises a group of merchandizers, accountants, and marketers to come to an agreement to buy the book. Once that's done he sends the proposal to legal to draw up the paperwork.

Sometimes this is all handled by one or two executives in the company. In my case the decision was made by the executive editor and the publisher, who drew up the contract.

Glen T. Brock

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
It's different at every publisher. Sometimes the acquisition editor works on the book, very often she does not. Sometimes an editor has all the say about which books to buy, and sometimes no say at all.