PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone else pre-judge a show by its network?

Jcomp
08-18-2010, 01:02 AM
I've been pretty much under the assumption that I would loathe Memphis Beat and Rizzolli and Isles without watching either show and despite liking some of the casted actors (particularly in Memphis Beat). This is almost solely based on the fact that I hate TNT shows (and most of the original programming on its sister station TBS as well).

Conversely, some stations (USA--which is just enough of a step up from TNT to be perfect guilty pleasure programming, F/X and AMC) tend to get me to at least give their shows a chance or keep an eye out for them even if the commercials aren't all that intriguing. Does anyone else do this? Does anyone else see consistency in terms of quality, tone or themes within a network's original programming?

Fulk
08-18-2010, 02:38 AM
Well, I know I haven't touched History Channel programming ever since they became the "Alien conspiracies and doomsday prediction Channel." So a short and simple answer would be yes.

JoeEkaitis
08-18-2010, 03:01 AM
Ditto for what was once The Learning Channel. If it's on TLC, it's more likely to kill brain cells than nourish them.

Shadow_Ferret
08-18-2010, 03:06 AM
No.

Maybe I don't watch enough TV to develop dislikes to certain networks.

DeleyanLee
08-18-2010, 05:00 AM
Yes, definitely. Especially the SciFi Channel (or whatever they're calling themselves now). If it's an original series, I might give it a look. If it's an original movie, I only will watch if I've got a gang of friends and a keg of beer since those are only good for tearing apart and drinking games.

Channels are like publishers--they have their own style of things they do. Pay attention long enough, you'll see the style and know whether or not it's worth a blind try or not for you personally or not.

dragonjax
08-18-2010, 05:14 AM
Does anyone else see consistency in terms of quality, tone or themes within a network's original programming?

If it's debuting on Fox and it's a quality show, I assume it will get canceled.

Ken
08-18-2010, 05:22 AM
... with news I avoid CNN because I'm tired of the way they dramatize news. For movies I stick to TCM because they play all the vintage movies I like. I really don't have any use for other stations. Some used to be fairly good, but of late they hardly ever play anything I'm into. Don't watch much tv as such. Better entertainment to be had from books.

thothguard51
08-18-2010, 05:26 AM
For movies, I tend to stick with Turner Classic Movies channel. It used to be a toss up between them and AMC, but since AMC has turned to more modern movies, and commercials, they lost their appeal to me. The MGM network is quickly becoming a favorite...

SyFy channel, I wouldn't trust them to show a Bruce Campbell movie without screwing it up...

Zoombie
08-18-2010, 05:37 AM
Well, I know I haven't touched History Channel programming ever since they became the "Alien conspiracies and doomsday prediction Channel." So a short and simple answer would be yes.

Seriously, man, what happened to the History Channel?

Mr Flibble
08-18-2010, 05:39 AM
ER, no. I go by synopsis, reviews etc. Is it the sort of thing I like? Same as books. I don''t give a crap what channel it;s on - it gives no indication of quality. Same with books, there's a lot of pubs that put out stuff I don;t care for. Doesn't mean that blurb I like means the book will be awful. It means I don't like some of that pub's books. I may be more relucftant to look at the blurb...but I'll look anyway.

Gugland
08-18-2010, 08:37 AM
Seriously, man, what happened to the History Channel?

Yeah, it's crap now. Back in the '90s we complained about it being "the Hitler Channel" but at least they were showing some sort of documentary. Now it's just drek, glamorizing gang life in Puckie Huddle, MO.

And don't get me started on crap like "American Pickers." They spend 30 minutes on two quite unlikeable guys going thru a barn and buying someone else's crap. That's entertainment? By that logic, I should've been able to make a feature-length film about my yardsale last weekend.

But I should admit, at least Discovery is spending a little less time on poop. Granted, it's now spent on that Mythbusters show with that guy with the walrus mustache, but it's still better than watching some guy crawl around a sewer while you're eating dinner.

Shadow Dragon
08-18-2010, 10:57 AM
I tend to completely avoid MTV and VH1. I liked the "I loved the (insert decade)" series on VH1 and MTV2 shows a new wrestling promotion that I like. But other than that, they tend to just show horrible reality shows. They're bad even by reality standards.

Oh and I'll second the comments on the History Channel. It's really gone down hill.

third person
08-18-2010, 12:09 PM
CBS. No thank you. I've never tuned in to that channel to watch anything, and I doubt I ever will. As they said in a joke on the revered show In Living Color, "CBS: 'cause all you see is BS."

defyalllogic
08-18-2010, 06:12 PM
I won't give anything on abc family a chance. sometimes I want to but then I just can't...

IMHO all their shows tend to be: corny, preachy, morally pompous, juvenile, unrealistic versions of the real world, etc.

BenPanced
08-18-2010, 06:31 PM
If it's on Lifetime, there's a 99% chance it's about how horrible men are and how much men enjoy making women miserable.

defyalllogic
08-18-2010, 06:35 PM
If it's on Lifetime, there's a 99% chance it's about how horrible men are and how much men enjoy making women miserable.

or crazy women... or sexually adventurous teens. they really branched out in the 2000's

DeleyanLee
08-18-2010, 06:36 PM
or crazy women... or sexually adventurous teens. they really branched out in the 2000's

You mean they got away from female life-altering-trauma of the moment?

KTC
08-18-2010, 06:37 PM
certainly not. i don't give a shit enough to know what network i'm watching. i have no idea what show is on what network. none. who cares. i watch something based solely on whether or not i like it. i couldn't even name half the networks.

Celia Cyanide
08-18-2010, 09:38 PM
I generally assume I will love anything on USA, when in fact, I don't, quite often. I think it's because I love L&A so much, which didn't even start out on USA.

No matter what anyone says, I think they all would make assumptions about a show created for the Disney Channel.

BenPanced
08-18-2010, 09:45 PM
No matter what anyone says, I think they all would make assumptions about a show created for the Disney Channel.
QFT. I swear, the prerequisites for landing the lead on one of their live-action shows are a serious lack of personality and acting ability.

Paul
08-18-2010, 09:57 PM

Well...

Hmmm. Lifetime, you say?

but seriously
em, not sure. bit I don't subscribe to too many cable channels - plus i always check on the net wha'ts on (episode in detail) first, so no surprises, plus i watch the same four shows most nights (Malcolm in the middle, 2/1 men, Frazier and Family Guy (occasionally an old Simpsons, even Friends -)

but as for new shows, maybe a little - though Glen Something DS is on Sky (Fox) and it's pretty good...

as for news, Sky if i want a giggle, otherwise channel 4 news.

ps without the free HBO successes we get over here and the Comedy channel I'd have to start dating again.

BenPanced
08-18-2010, 10:08 PM
Lifetime is one of the first cable networks in the US geared towards a predominantly female demographic and has gone on to near legendary status for their made-for-TV movies. They cornered the market on "women in jeopardy" movies, which feature a woman who's being terrorized either by an intruder in their house, a husband, an ex-husband, a boyfriend, an ex-boyfriend, their boss, their father-in-law, their brother, their brother-in-law, the chief of police...you get the idea. It's very rare when they produce a comedy of some sort.

http://www.mylifetime.com/

defyalllogic
08-18-2010, 10:33 PM
Hmmm. Lifetime, you say?the kind of sexually adventurous teens that make pregnancy pacts and spread STDs through the school... (two separate movies)

Alpha Echo
08-18-2010, 10:49 PM
Eh, not really. If it's a show or movie I want to see, I'll watch it. Otherwise, I won't. What network it's airing on makes no difference to me.

JoeEkaitis
08-18-2010, 11:16 PM
If it's on Lifetime, there's a 99% chance it's about how horrible men are and how much men enjoy making women miserable.Ah, the All Men Are Pigs Channel.

Zoombie
08-18-2010, 11:19 PM
What? I'm sorry, I was busy eating out of my trough.

Gravity
08-19-2010, 12:44 AM

QFT.

My best friend (a testerone-laden knuckle-dragger like moi) calls it the I Hate Men network.

Jcomp
08-19-2010, 02:06 AM
Well, to Lifetime's credit, once in a while they sprinkle in a "crazy ex-wife/girlfriend" or "dangerously disturbed and covetous hussy eyeing your hubby" or "totally psycho mother-in-law who wants to kill you for you marrying her angelic son" movie. And even in the allegedly "male-bashing" flicks, there's typically at least one unbelievably great, handsome and chivalrous dude for the protag to rediscover love with. A lot of times that great guy gets the crap killed out of him, but still...

Shadow_Ferret
08-19-2010, 02:46 AM

Hmm. One of my favorite shows was on Lifetime. "Blood Ties." Unfortunately it lasted only a season. Had nothing to do with horrible men, only vampires. :D

Starhorsepax
08-31-2010, 04:57 AM
Most definitely. I'm very reluctant to invest time in watching regular network like ABC, NBC, CBS because even if I like it, half the time they cancel it. I love several of USAs new shows. :popcorn:
I tend to think it all comes down to something I heard or read in an interview somewhere about USA: they know who they are and what the long term goals are, what the audience is. They aren't freaking out and trying to change a show midstream because of a bad rating for one episode - and then demand changes when several other episodes have already been filmed.
I think if more stations had this attitude, we'd all be happier tv viewers. If the station wants to cater to a certain kind of viewer it may turn others off, but that's okay if they've found their niche. As opposed to channels like cartoon network suddenly airing live action (hello? where is the 'toon?) and sy fy suddenly going 'reality tv' (what the heck does wrestling have to do with science fiction anyway?:Shrug:)

Mind you, their really isn't much I'm committed to watching on tv these days: so much of what's on is just reruns. (Ok, I liked it ok the first time. Maybe the second. How many episodes of Law and Order reruns can one take?) I love shows like White Collar, but even USA is funny, they only rerun their own shows in a marathon once in a while. But Law and Orders they keep showing....and showing....and showing.....:e2zzz:

kuwisdelu
08-31-2010, 05:04 AM
Most of the time, I don't even notice what network a show I like is on.

Freelancer
08-31-2010, 05:27 AM
Sometimes. i.e. My favorites are the HBO Originals, such as Band of Brothers, Rome, Tudors, Sopranos, etc, etc... HBO used to create and broadcast quality shows. But I also love ABC shows, such as V 2010 or NCIS from CBS. Discovery and NGC also has very good and interesting shows which guarantees the quality. And the TCM & MGM duo used to play some good old classics what I love.

If it's debuting on Fox and it's a quality show, I assume it will get canceled.So true. One word: Firefly.

rhymegirl
09-04-2010, 06:48 PM
Nope. I just have my own testing system. For a brand new show I'll watch the first 10 minutes or so. It has to hook me right away or I switch channels. (kinda like books--need that hook at the beginning to keep turning the pages)

There have been many sitcoms that failed the test. Not funny. Click to something else.

I'd never watched anything on TV Land until Hot in Cleveland came along. It made me laugh right from the beginning, so I kept watching it.

In general, there is no one network I prefer to others. It used to be NBC had all the good shows, then not so much. I jump around the dial.

robeiae
09-04-2010, 07:10 PM
I tend to assume HBO series will involve unnecessarily strong and frequent foul language, violence, and nudity. So, I take it as a given that I will enjoy them...

Satori1977
09-04-2010, 07:14 PM
I agree with Lifetime movies, but I think they have good shows. Drop Dead Diva and Army Wives are two of my favorites.

The best shows tend to be on HBO and Showtime...unfortunately two channels that I do not get.

writeronfire
09-04-2010, 07:47 PM
But Satori, isn't that Matthew Gray Gubler in your avvie? That means you like Criminal Minds on CBS, right?