What about a bookkeeper?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jak77

Registered
Reaction score
I am trying to find out if writers, literary agents, (etc in book publishing) would ever pay for a bookkeeper. Would it make a difference if that person worked in book publishing and understood author contracts and royalty statements? Any thoughts?

I don't have a bookkeeping service so I'm not trying to sell anything. Just taking a poll. Thank you!

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Only if you're making crazy royalties, and then you should consider a CPA or similar professional. For assistance in contracts, you'd need to contact a lawyer versed in intellectual property law.

Becky Black

Writing my way off the B Ark
Registered
Reaction score
Website
beckyblack.wordpress.com
I'm sure an accountant especially one used to working with writers, so they can help them maximise their tax allowances for instance, would be useful if you were making lots and lots of money - or at least enough for a good living. But it's not on my list of things I need to do yet!

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
I am trying to find out if writers, literary agents, (etc in book publishing) would ever pay for a bookkeeper. Would it make a difference if that person worked in book publishing and understood author contracts and royalty statements? Any thoughts?

I don't have a bookkeeping service so I'm not trying to sell anything. Just taking a poll. Thank you!

I suspect many of us use an accountant, though I don't know any who use a bookkeeper. Many CPAs handle accounting and bookkeeping, and I've always found a CPA useful. But unless you have a very large business, I can't see any need for hiring a private accountant/bookkeeper/CPA, no matter how much money you make.

Deleted member 42

An accountant is a blessing, especially dealing with foreign rights payments and royalties.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
I used an accountant for years, but never a bookkeeper, and they aren't the same thing.

jak77

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you for your responses

I agree with you about needing an accountant and not a bookkeeper, but just wanted to back up my opinion. I think in general, freelancers (in any business) don't have a need for bookkeepers. The business structure is too simple.

Status
Not open for further replies.