Status
Not open for further replies.

Maxinquaye

That cheeky buggerer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
maxoneverything.wordpress.com
This post made me sad. It's written by a lesbian over a cute photo of two black men on a public transport.

http://sandrarose.com/2010/08/thug-love-2-thugs-on-a-train/

It’s become nearly impossible to distinguish heterosexual men from down low thugs due to the proliferation of female-led households in the black community.

As more and more black women switch roles and responsibilities with men, more and more fatherless men are turning to other men for the strength and guidance they are missing in their lives.

Meanwhile, African Americans account for the highest rate of new HIV/AIDS cases.

I removed the photo that was here. Paul (below) has a point. Though, in my defence - that photo is all over the net by now. I found it on a big gay news site, that linked to a comment about the post I commented. Anyway, I removed it.

I know it's just one person writing this, and I don't want to imply that it's a common view, but I see this kind of views sometimes in the segregated world that is QLTBAG; whether it's about gay men, transsexuals, lesbians, bisexuals...

I think it's a really cute picture. I'm happy they are confident enough to dare to slow that kind of closeness in public. I wish more did, and that they wouldn't meet ridicule from their own.

Last edited:

Bookewyrme

Imagined half of it.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bookewyrme.straydreamers.com
I...don't even know how to respond to this.

I've read the article itself twice, and clicked the Gay Pride tag at the bottom. Other articles in the tag seem accepting, mostly, of homosexuality so...maybe I am missing something?

Williebee

Capeless, wingless, & yet I fly.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
There's a nice collection of assumptions in the link, built from some generalized statements.

sheesh.

Maybe an "or" instead of an "are" in the thread title would have helped?

Maxinquaye

That cheeky buggerer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Do you mean you don't know how to respond to my post, or hers? I might be overly sensitive, true, but three things make me sad:

1) Black men are choosing to become gay because of lack of females
2) Black gay men are low down thugs
3) Gay african americans are just HIV/AIDS

Again, I might be overly sensitive, but that's the perception I get from that post.

Bookewyrme

Imagined half of it.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Do you mean you don't know how to respond to my post, or hers? I might be overly sensitive, true, but three things make me sad:
Oh sorry I wasn't clearer. :eek:
I meant hers.
I had similar reactions, read the post the same way you did. But, in an effort to give her the benefit of the doubt, I checked out the Gay Pride tag (which, in and of itself is confusing. Why tag things gay pride if you think gay=bad?) and the other articles seem to say different things. Granted, the other articles seem to be mostly about female homosexuality.

I dunno, maybe in the writer's mind "Lesbian=ok" and "gay male=thug" (which is sad in it's own right)? I'm at a loss.

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Blog writer seems bigoted in lots of interesting ways.

1. Black guy + hat + t-shirt + baggy jeans + goofy necklace = thug? Generalize much? Last time I checked the outfit you're wearing doesn't make you a criminal, unless it's a prison uniform. I don't know how she knows they are thugs, or how she knows they are on the DL. In fact, holding hands in public would suggest that they are in fact not at all on the DL.

2. Two guys on a train might be gay, therefore they were turned gay by women having jobs, therefore they are increasing the rates of HIV? WTF? Racism+sexism+homophobia=victory? I can't even tell who she bigotedly disapproves of more.

African-American men on the down-low do create a problem because of unprotected sex with multiple partners, and dishonesty about sexual partners. However, "female-led households" are not at fault. Neither are all gay men, "thug-looking" or not. It's a complicated issue relating to extreme societal homophobia and individual irresponsible sexual behavior. Bashing everyone you see isn't really an intelligent or productive way to address it.

DancingMaenid

New kid...seven years ago!
Registered
Reaction score
There are a lot of troubling assumptions in that post. I don't see how you can tell what situation those two guys are in just from one picture of them. To assume that they're closeted gay men cheating on their wives or girlfriends based on one picture seems like quite the leap to me.

It's also a little hard for me to make out what the writer's point is. She seems to be claiming that black men have become gay because women aren't subservient to them anymore. That just strikes me as bizarre, especially if the writer is a lesbian.

HelloKiddo

bemused observer
Registered
Reaction score
Over the past 4 decades, black women have decided to go it alone with their kids rather than be subservient to black men like their mothers and aunts were back in the days when black men were the majority head of households.

So black women are to blame for black men abandoning their families? That's nice.

Sheila Muirenn

Rebuilding My Brain
Registered
Reaction score
It’s become nearly impossible to distinguish heterosexual men from down low thugs due to the proliferation of female-led households in the black community.

Very hard to even follow the writer's thought process here. It's non-sensicle.

Paul

Banned
Reaction score
What the story is with these two people we don't know, but I feel it's inappropriate to post that photo in a public arena, unless i had their permission to do so - as they may not have informed others they are gay, or they may not be gay, or their private life is just that etc -after all they are not celebs ('legitimate' targets.) They may well not care at all, but I'd prefer to have that assurance.

Bookewyrme

Imagined half of it.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
What the story is with these two people we don't know, but I feel it's inappropriate to post that photo in a public arena, unless i had their permission to do so - as they may not have informed others they are gay, or they may not be gay, or their private life is just that etc -after all they are not celebs ('legitimate' targets.) They may well not care at all, but I'd prefer to have that assurance.

Well, I sure hope they don't mind at this point, since it's been posted to Twitter, a fairly high-traffic (or so it appears) blog, and now a public forum. And who knows where else it's been.

Now, I completely understand what you're saying Paul, and I think I agree but just one caveat. In no way do I think that anyone, anywhere can qualify what happens on a subway train as being a part of someone's "private life." Speculation about their sexuality, sure that impinges on the private arena. But, a picture of people in a public place is not infringement on private spaces (in some countries that is in fact the law, and governments use it to allow themselves to have CCTV in most public areas). However, it is in rather bad taste to take a picture of people in a public place and then use it to publicly speculate about aspects of their personal life, IMHO.

Paul

Banned
Reaction score
Well, I sure hope they don't mind at this point, since it's been posted to Twitter, a fairly high-traffic (or so it appears) blog, and now a public forum. And who knows where else it's been.

Now, I completely understand what you're saying Paul, and I think I agree but just one caveat. In no way do I think that anyone, anywhere can qualify what happens on a subway train as being a part of someone's "private life." Speculation about their sexuality, sure that impinges on the private arena. But, a picture of people in a public place is not infringement on private spaces (in some countries that is in fact the law, and governments use it to allow themselves to have CCTV in most public areas). However, it is in rather bad taste to take a picture of people in a public place and then use it to publicly speculate about aspects of their personal life, IMHO.

Exactly my point. (no offence to Max, just my opinion)
(as for twitter etc, 2 wrongs don't make a right.)

Maxinquaye

That cheeky buggerer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I don't think it's speculation. Those two are gay. I'm not 100% sure of course, but the hand holding tickles my gaydar very strongly. I've had perfectly straight guys sleep on my shoulders on long trips, but they didn't hold my hand doing so. :)

Paul

Banned
Reaction score
I don't think it's speculation. Those two are gay. I'm not 100% sure of course, but the hand holding tickles my gaydar very strongly. I've had perfectly straight guys sleep on my shoulders on long trips, but they didn't hold my hand doing so. :)

Well, I'm not doubting your gaydar, per se... but knowing for sure and being sure they are happy to have their photo on show and a discussion about them is different. as i say, they're not public figures. I certainly wouldn't like some of the photos taken of me on the net... :)

Edit:as a footnote / response to the OP, the original source commentator's article is all over the place as far as I can make out.

Edit 2: Appreciate that Max, I just thought it was outside the spirit of fair play - i recognise other might feel different, but hats off to you. :)

Last edited:

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
Thugs?!

And then she just gets worse.

She knows nothing about these men. She should stfu.

AyJay

Luv's Conscript
Registered
Reaction score
Website
andrewjpeterswrites.com
I also thought the article was befuddling. Considering the scores of negative responses she received, I wonder if the author was just being provocative for a kick.

I personally believe the "DL phenom" is hyped up at best and insidiously homophobic at worst. It got sensationalized with J.L. King's book On the Down Low (which I never read), and he scored some great publicity when Oprah had him on her show back in 2004.

The insidious part is there's no scientific proof that African American DL guys are the cause of rising rates of HIV/AIDS among African American women. It's a belief, an anecdote, some would say a scare tactic to make the correlation. The blame game does nothing to move forward HIV prevention.

citymouse

fantasy dweller
Registered
Reaction score
I wasn't going to post on this but then I took a look at the photo.

Look at the guy with the phone. Then look at the other guy who seems to be napping. The angle of the sleeping guy means that the phone guy either leaves his free arm squashed under the weight of Mr Sleepy or wrap it around him. There aren't many places for him to lay his arm comfortably. If he raised it higher, the phone guy would be seen as caressing a breast. As it is, he simply rests his hand in the most comfortable way. He's clearly not 'holding' hands.
Also it seems to me that if he's being 'romantic', he looks mighty sang froid about it. The real faux pas here is letting another guy sack out on him in public.
I'd say that this is a tempest in a train car.
Down Low? ...he who seals from me my good name... etc.
C

Maxinquaye

That cheeky buggerer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Why is it so important to land in a conclusion that they're not gay? Who cares? It's a cute picture. I happen to think they are gay. Others don't.

Does it really matter? Why is it important?

It's 04.57 in the morning here, so I'm a bit tired - actually pretty damned tired - so my sensibilities might be totally out of whack here, but I get the vibe here now that there would be something shameful about them being cutely gay . That's not important. What I reacted to was the really strange post from a member of the gay community in relation to a cutely gayish picture.

Last edited:

Bookewyrme

Imagined half of it.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Actually, I have to disagree, citymouse. I mean, he is holding hands (some fingers are under the other guy's fingers). And if he didn't want to have his arm around sleeping-man he could simply lay it along the back of the seats.

But, honestly, that's not really the point. If they're strictly het, then good for them for not being so ravingly homophobic that they can't lend their buddies a shoulder. The point, I think, is the article and the bad stereotypes perpetuated in it.

Not sure what you're implying with the "He who steals" from me quote? That thinking someone is a homosexual is slander? Sorry if I'm being too sensitive about that. :eek:

Edit: Max and I seem to have gone all psychic with each other. Crazy...

DancingMaenid

New kid...seven years ago!
Registered
Reaction score
She's a bit . . . odd. Look at her other posts.

I thought so, as well. I'm also baffled by the "gay pride" tag. I'm not sure what things like Lindsay Lohan's jail life or that flight attendant storming out of a plane have to do with gay pride, aside from the possibility that the people involved are gay.

citymouse

fantasy dweller
Registered
Reaction score
I don't think there is anything shameful about being gay, in public or in private. I just don't think anyone can be certain from that photo that these guys are indeed gay men on the DL or that they are thugs.
To my eye the pic doesn't say gay, or DL or thug.
I confess I'm not impressed with their clothing choices but that's a personal bias on my part. Orange has never been my color.
C

kaitiepaige17

Inappropriate smiley INCOMINGGGGGG!
Registered
Reaction score
I mean, they could be brothers. They aren't necessarily gay. But I love the picture either way :D I just wish they had given permission before it was leaked all over the internet...

Shadow Dragon

Registered
Reaction score
Ok, I looked through her other posts tagged in the gay pride, and one of the articles in on Angelina's tomboyish daughter. The commenters blasted Angelina for *le gasp* letting her daughter have short hair and wearing baggy boys clothing. That whole site is messed up in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.