I'm not much for book burning, but...

Maxinquaye

That cheeky buggerer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
maxoneverything.wordpress.com
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...profits-to-injured-troops-centre-2054014.html

The Independent said:
Tony Blair is donating all the profits from his memoirs to a new sports centre for injured troops, it was disclosed today.

A spokesman for the former Prime Minister confirmed he will hand over the reported £4.6 million advance he received for the book, A Journey, as well as any royalties.

If the veterans at this centre decided to have a little fire in protest of Bliar trying to exhonorate himself from getting those soldiers to the centre in the first place, I'm not sure I'd voice much protest...

defyalllogic

i'm a girl. (i have tendonitis)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
he's doing a good thing.

one politician, be it prime minister or president, isn't ever solely responsible for such huge decisions. this is a decision he is solely responsible for.

i don't have 4.6 million pounds to give to anyone i feel badly, pay towards amending bad decisions i regret...

ETA: they got the title of the book wrong right next to a picture of the book...
A spokesman for the former Prime Minister confirmed he will hand over the reported £4.6 million advance he received for the book, A Journey, as well as any royalties.
IN16881818tony-blai_433162t.jpg

Last edited:

Maxinquaye

That cheeky buggerer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Blair lied, cheated, gerrymandered the political system, and possibly even had someone murdered (Dr Kelly) to get the UK into a war in Iraq.

He's not the most respected or popular figure around. I think a lot of people would feel that this donation would be like Judas handing 30 pieces of silver to a charity.

SPMiller

Prodigiously Hanged
Registered
Reaction score
Website
seanpatrickmiller.com
The queen may be the ultimate C-in-C of the British military, but unless I'm terribly mistaken, the prime minister is by convention in direct control of the military. If true, that would mean Blair is in fact personally responsible for what he commanded his military to do. Accountability is important.

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
On the one hand I'm faint with shock, but glad for the soldiers. They deserve that money.

On the other, if we hadn't gone into Iraq as a result of his lying, there would be less injured soldiers in the first place...

It has the distinct tang of someone trying to soothe his conscience and/or make a nice PR coup just as an added bonus.

I think a lot of people would feel that this donation would be like Judas handing 30 pieces of silver to a charity.
Yeah. It feels like that.

defyalllogic

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
but he already sent them to war... if there's the option of him not donating anything or donating 4.6 million, you would choose nothing? (keep in mind people aren't lining up do donate 4.6 million)

Mr Flibble

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
No; those soldiers need that money.

But if he's that contrite he could hand the money over and not announce it...I am probably not the only Brit thinking of Smashie and Nicey 'I do a lot of work for charidee but I don't like to talk about it'

As it is, it makes it sound like a PR stunt. Kind of tasteless, given the circs, but then Tony's never been one for tasteful.

See the thread here re; Dr Kelly, new evidence.

Plot Device

A woman said to write like a man.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sandwichboardroom.blogspot.com
but he already sent them to war... if there's the option of him not donating anything or donating 4.6 million, you would choose nothing? (keep in mind people aren't lining up do donate 4.6 million)

I guess I'd prefer he quietly and without fanfare fork over 4.6 million out of his own pocket rather than linking the donation of his money directly to whether or not he is successful in propogating the print-based self-extolling of his own wonderful, glorious legacy.

::ETA::

Sorry. I cross-posted with IdiotsRUs.

Last edited:

Maxinquaye

That cheeky buggerer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I'm not saying that the money should be refused. I'm not saying it should be accepted either. It's up to the managers of the new centre, I guess. But a lot of people will have a very bad taste in their mouth about this.

IMHO, and it is really IMHO, sometimes you don't take money because taking it would diminish your self-respect, your view of yourself. But that's for each and everyone to decide, and maybe all this money will actually help people that are hurting because of Blair's action and decisions.

But it is still Judas-money, IMHO.

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The alternative is he keeps the money and lounges in luxury in the Bahamas.

defyalllogic

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I guess I'd prefer he quietly and without fanfare fork over 4.6 million out of his own pocket rather than linking the donation of his money directly to whether or not he is successful in propogating the print-based self-extolling of his own wonderful, glorious legacy.

that's fair. so it's more that he's benefiting from his charity that should be penance more than just another nice guy doing a nice thing.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
If the veterans at this centre decided to have a little fire in protest of Bliar trying to exhonorate himself from getting those soldiers to the centre in the first place, I'm not sure I'd voice much protest...

Maybe he's just doing it because he feels its the right thing to do and not out of any sense of guilt or blame.

Torgo

Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com

The thing is, £4.6 million is not enough, and it's not justice until he sees the inside of a courtroom. He doesn't get to buy back his honour.

M.R.J. Le Blanc

aka Sadistic Mistress Mi-chan
Registered
Reaction score
Maybe he should match that with his own funds too. No sense a liar getting to live a comfortable retirement, if you ask me.

Reaction score
I'm sure he feels really guilty about helping to put these three psychopaths six feet under and freeing millions of people.

Saddam_sons.jpg
Saddam_sons.jpg

Probably almost as guilty as Bush.

Fame<Infamy

Registered
Reaction score
So we're mad that someone is trying to at least right a wrong they did? Why? Sure it was a wrong in the first place, but hes not the only one to blame and on top of it, he's actually taking responsibility for his actions which is rare.

Mr Flibble

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
I'm sure he feels really guilty about helping to put these three psychopaths six feet under and freeing millions of people.

Saddam_sons.jpg
Saddam_sons.jpg

Probably almost as guilty as Bush.

He should feel guilty for lying to do it, ignoring other dictators who are just as bad/worse/possibly hounding a good man to his death for it. (Balir (and others) notably ignored Zimbabwe citizens, even though they were in our Commonwealth. But the mineral wealth justified that)

War is one thing. Lying to do it is another. Torgo is right. He cannot buy back his honour. He forfeited that when he lied to parliament to push this through, past the biggest protest Britain has ever seen, where 1 million people demo'd against it. Out of a population of 60 million , And damn , if I could have got the day off work I'd have been there. And so would many more.

And the man who said it was a lie..died. under very odd circumstances...and did not get the inquest that is he is supposed to have since mediaeval times...because the government asid no. Oh and in an unprecedented move, they sealed the records for 70 years. Odd, no?

Now I don't think Kelly was killed. I do think the gov at the time covered up some substantial shit. So we could l*cough* legally go to war. It's a contentious issue over here.

Going to war because you should = one thing
Going to war because your leader lied to you? Another thing entirely.

And whether that made the average Iraqi's life better? Debatable. Made it good for our oil supply though, didn't it?