PDA

View Full Version : Small publisher looking for short story submissions

boxfirepress
08-15-2010, 06:39 PM
We started in 2009 and had quite a bit of success with a couple of short story eBooks (particularly in the United Kingdom) and we're looking to expand our list.

We publish mainly genre short fiction and we're only looking for contemporary science fiction and fantasy at this point. Experience isn't needed, but if you've got publishing credits be sure to let us know. We prefer previously unpublished material and we don't love simultaneous submissions. That said, we'll consider regionally published material and simultaneous submissions, as long as you give us the history of a piece up front.

We usually offer a small advance in addition to royalties. Specifics, which are determined by the story, are discussed at contract stage and we try to let you keep as many rights to the piece as you can.

Questions? There's more on our blog at boxfirepress.com, but I can answer any you might have here.

thanks!

CACTUSWENDY
08-15-2010, 07:02 PM
Ah, is there a link to the site? Where do you submit to? :evil

veinglory
08-15-2010, 07:11 PM
The site they give is http://boxfirepress.com/

boxfirepress
08-15-2010, 07:33 PM
Ah, is there a link to the site? Where do you submit to? :evil

Sorry, I forgot to add the http:// in front. It's http://boxfirepress.com. We've got a lot of details on our blog and some good tips to follow. We just opened for submissions on Friday and they've been rolling in so fast we're kind of amazed.

We use an online submission system. You can find it at:
http://boxfire.submishmash.com

boxfirepress
08-15-2010, 07:34 PM
I should also add -- we do have a story on the iPad/iPhone that's currently free called Kurt: Thought Patterns if you want to take a look at it. It was really well reviewed (again, especially in the UK) and is a good example of the kind of stuff we're looking for.

Katrina S. Forest
08-16-2010, 03:42 AM
Can you offer a rough estimate of what your pay rate would be? Do you hope to pay pro rates? Semi-pro rates? I've seen publications before that didn't want to set a price in stone, but they at least set a minimum.

As of now, I have no idea if I'd be offered $5 for all rights to my 15,000-word story, or if I'd be offered $750 for one-time rights. If it's the latter, I'm ready at the submission page, but if it's the former, I'd be wasting both your time and mine by submitting. (I don't actually have a 15,000-word story, btw, but as long as I'm being hypothetical, it's fun to be extreme.)

Kensington
08-16-2010, 04:38 AM
I was going to send them something, but when I realised you have to register for an account before submitting, I changed my mind.

boxfirepress
08-16-2010, 06:50 AM
Can you offer a rough estimate of what your pay rate would be? Do you hope to pay pro rates? Semi-pro rates? I've seen publications before that didn't want to set a price in stone, but they at least set a minimum.

As of now, I have no idea if I'd be offered $5 for all rights to my 15,000-word story, or if I'd be offered $750 for one-time rights. If it's the latter, I'm ready at the submission page, but if it's the former, I'd be wasting both your time and mine by submitting. (I don't actually have a 15,000-word story, btw, but as long as I'm being hypothetical, it's fun to be extreme.)

Hi Katrina--

On our submission page, we note that we *generally* ask for a minimum of worldwide ebook rights and some print rights for a limited time. We're not asking for serial rights of any kind at this point, but we do understand as a short story, prior publication can limit those resale opportunities anyway. But, I want to stress, those kinds of details are unique to each an every story, and are generally negotiable. We also include provisions, should the author choose to exercise the option, that would revert the rights to the eBook back to the author if certain sales conditions aren't met over a set period of time.

As far as pay, we offer a small advance and royalties on net profits. We strongly prefer to discuss those exact details if and when we become interested in a story because the terms will be dependent on how well we think a story will sale. I can say the advance is not based on story word count, but is a flat fee.

We don't consider it a waste of our time if you submit a story we like, but ultimately choose, for what ever reason, to decline our offer. We'd rather have the chance to read your story and come to an acceptable agreement than miss out because there's a chance you might turn us down. But, we respect anyone's decision

boxfirepress
08-16-2010, 06:53 AM
I was going to send them something, but when I realised you have to register for an account before submitting, I changed my mind.

Hi Kensington,

We use a third-party system called Submishmash to handle submissions. Yes, you do have to create an account and it requires your first and last names and email address before you can submit. Submishmash requires accounts because it allows you to check on the status of your submission. We need your email in order to provide you with a response. You can take a look at our privacy policy on our Web site and shoot us any questions you might have.

icenine
08-22-2010, 03:51 PM
From your site:
We only discuss financial terms when we reach the contract stage with an author.

Why?

Every publisher of any merit publishes his pay rates up front. Either you're paying a ton or very little. So which is it?

veinglory
08-22-2010, 06:51 PM
It would also be possible to give a general range of payments and royalty rates.

But, bottom line, some indication of actual pay rates is a requirement for posting in this forum.

stormie
08-22-2010, 09:57 PM
Just stepping in on this one: Don't worry about that part. I know of several lit mags of merit that ask you to register before submitting. This way you can keep track of whether they received your submission, and if it's still being considered. All you have to do is log on each time to their website to check your ms. status.

Maryn
08-22-2010, 10:45 PM
I'd like to see a get-tough policy on giving pay rates, or ranges, as AW requires, though. Many talented writers would consider joining and submitting an utter waste of time if the typical royalty were five or ten US dollars. Many would leap at the chance to earn a hundred. But we can't even guess which of these is closer. The publisher is providing no information at all, even after being asked.

Deal breaker, for me.

I personally have major misgivings about any market that won't even hint at what they're paying. There's no shame in not paying a lot, but there's plenty of shame in not owning the reality of your ability to pay, withholding that information from the writers you need.

I know, I know, the sheriff needs deputies to enforce the law.

Maryn, considering wearing a tin star

Unimportant
08-22-2010, 11:56 PM
For me, personally, it's a red flag when publishers give the impression that they're figuring things out on the fly (http://boxfirepress.com/blogs/news/1887672-call-for-creative-non-fiction-personal-essay-submissions):

We’re currently seeking professional writers to contribute to a book project whose proceeds will benefit non-profit writing organizations that develop and foster writing skills in young people.....We want contributors who feel strongly about our cause and who are comfortable donating their work. ...We want contributors who feel strongly about our cause and who are comfortable donating their work....We haven’t chosen a charity (or charities) yet because we want our contributors to give us some ideas about organizations out there that might be worthy..
While I have no problems with donating stories to anthologies that are charity fundraisers, the waffliness of this doesn't sit well with me.

Their submission guidelines for this antho don't fill me with confidence either:

-- Submissions should be between 500 and 5,000 words, most will be somewhere in between
-- Let us know up front if you create any composite characters or change names in your story
Eh?

veinglory
08-22-2010, 11:58 PM
Also, I personally never feel strongly about a cause until I know exactly which charity we are talking about. There is no cause where I support absolutely all of the non-profits in that area (or pretending to be).

defyalllogic
08-23-2010, 07:32 PM
huh? they offer a small advance and royalties but they're asking you to donate your work... ?

(Agrees with Maryn and isn't wasting the time submitting to find out the answer to many questions brought up.)

KTC
08-23-2010, 07:38 PM
Is nobody going to ask why they only have work from ONE PERSON so far? Is the one person the one who runs the site?

We launched in 2009 with a couple short stories available on the Amazon Kindle. In 2010, we expanded to the iPad and one of our best pieces hit the top #10 in the iBookstore. We started out in San Diego, now we work from Washington, D.C. in the United States. Our first full-length book, a trade paperback, will hit the streets the end of this year.

You launched in 2009, yet you only have 2 stories available...both from the same person?

Maryn
08-23-2010, 08:15 PM
[My hackles are now fully raised because the OP is silent.]

CaoPaux
08-23-2010, 08:34 PM
Is nobody going to ask why they only have work from ONE PERSON so far? Is the one person the one who runs the site?Yes. (http://boxfirepress.com/blogs/news/1857892-some-questions-answered)

KTC
08-23-2010, 09:19 PM
So Justin has been in business for a year and only has 2 of his own stories available for purchase.