PDA

View Full Version : Domestic Violence, Police and Legal Procedures

whimsical rabbit
08-15-2010, 06:15 PM
In my WIP taking place in NYC, F. beats the hell out of N. yet again, and then storms out of the house.

Her brother comes in and finds her, and he calls an ambulance.

Here's a series of questions:

1. He doesn't call the police. Will the police come anyway? As in, called by the paramedics?

2. If the answer to the above is 'yes', how soon will they come? If this is happening overnight, will they be there the next day after the victim has been treated etc, to take her testimony?

3. Suppose the victim does not admit she's been beaten, and lies instead. Would they just leave, even though her lying is obvious?

4. Would the batterer's lawyer father be able to make an agreement that his son will stay away, without the police involved?

And finally:

5. Will you still be my friends even though some of these questions are irreparably stupid, and impossible? I promise the whole thing is not as bad as it sounds.

Much obliged.

escritora
08-15-2010, 06:35 PM
1. He doesn't call the police. Will the police come anyway? As in, called by the paramedics?Yes. But the paramedics don't call it in. The 911 dispatcher does as she's requesting an ambulance.

2. If the answer to the above is 'yes', how soon will they come? If this is happening overnight, will they be there the next day after the victim has been treated etc, to take her testimony?They will arrive the same night. Probably seconds before or after the paramedics.

3. Suppose the victim does not admit she's been beaten, and lies instead. Would they just leave, even though her lying is obvious?If they believe the brother is the abuser they will take him in. If they believe the abuser has already left they will come back for him. In domestic violence cases police don't turn a blind eye (or they shouldn't because it's against protocol)

4. Would the batterer's lawyer father be able to make an agreement that his son will stay away, without the police involved?Once the ambulance is called the police are involved. And the only way the attorney can make that agreement is in court. Most likely the distract attorney would ask for a restraining order, and the batterer's attorney will choose to either challenge that request or not.

whimsical rabbit
08-15-2010, 07:08 PM
I see.

Hmmm... I need the police to stay out of this. Is there any believable way I can achieve that? Police intervention overcomplicates things for me, and drives myu plot elsewhere, still, I can't turn a blind eye to reality.

*scratches chin in contemplation*

Little Red Barn
08-15-2010, 07:31 PM
Police will investigate. They know at times the victim, for many reasons, may protect the perp etc...

escritora
08-15-2010, 07:43 PM
Hmmm... I need the police to stay out of this. Is there any believable way I can achieve that? Police intervention overcomplicates things for me, and drives myu plot elsewhere, still, I can't turn a blind eye to reality.

The sister can convince the brother not to call the ambulance. They can go back and forth a bit, and the brother concedes and tends to her himself. This could work if the injuries are only cuts and bruises.

whimsical rabbit
08-15-2010, 08:28 PM
Police will investigate. They know at times the victim, for many reasons, may protect the perp etc...

So even if the victim does not press charges, the culprit will still end up arrested and on a trial, right?

The sister can convince the brother not to call the ambulance. They can go back and forth a bit, and the brother concedes and tends to her himself. This could work if the injuries are only cuts and bruises.

Thanks for this. Unfortunately it'll be a lot worse than cuts and bruises, as it is the scene that actually leads to the resolution eventually, so I'm talking broken ribs and such.

Good thing I asked the question. I'll have to have a good think on how I can proceed with this. There's nothing I hate more than unrealistic solutions of convenience (i.e. and then a shark appeared- the same shark that eats them mobiles- and carried her to the hospital).

Giant Baby
08-15-2010, 08:39 PM
So even if the victim does not press charges, the culprit will still end up arrested and on a trial, right?

Yes. Domestic abusers commonly went unpunished because the victims would refuse to press charges, usually out of fear or loyalty. The laws have since been changed (I don't recall how long ago, but it's been during my adult life, anyway) so that the perp will be arrested/charged regardless of cooperation from the victim.

Thanks for this. Unfortunately it'll be a lot worse than cuts and bruises, as it is the scene that actually leads to the resolution eventually, so I'm talking broken ribs and such.

Good thing I asked the question. I'll have to have a good think on how I can proceed with this. There's nothing I hate more than unrealistic solutions of convenience (i.e. and then a shark appeared- the same shark that eats them mobiles- and carried her to the hospital).

Are her injuries such that she could either a) convince her brother it was an accident or b) convince her brother to report to 911 that she'd had an accident. If you're giving her typical signs of assault (bruising and cuts consistent with being struck or kicked), the old "I fell down the stairs" bit still probably won't make it past the paramedics and/or hospital staff, who are trained to look for this sort of thing.

escritora
08-15-2010, 08:46 PM

Yes.

broken ribs
Broken ribs, though painful, heal on their own. Not much a doctor can do. Many abused women never go in for treatment; even when the injuries are severe.

I worked in a safe house for battered women. What is it exactly that you want this particular scene to accomplish?

whimsical rabbit
08-15-2010, 09:10 PM
What is it exactly that you want this particular scene to accomplish?

The batterer will be punished, just not by the police.

This final scene will get my MC out of his house and back to her family home with her brother, with whom her relationship has been at the seams since they had a loss in the family.

The WIP is character-driven, and its main theme is personal choice. Sub-themes include coping with death and DV. I'd say this is an anti-fate novel.

The main character has been taking the abuse because she had no home to return to. As soon as her relationship with her brother is re-established, she escapes her lover's influence and his abuse, only this time she nearly dies.

I want the batterer to be punished by his own hubris. He is supposed to be rich and powerful, a perfect narcissist, so the punishment has to come from within.

I've been researching domestic violence for three years now, have been allowed in groups and read a lot on the issue, even from the batterer's perspective. My MC's relationship with the abuser has been one of utter emotional dependence, and love that would turn to hatred and vice versa.

Thanks for everybody willing to help me here. I really appreciate your time, guys.

escritora
08-15-2010, 09:27 PM
This final scene will get my MC out of his house and back to her family home with her brother, with whom her relationship has been at the seams since they had a loss in the family.

It's a realistic solution for the sister to convince her brother not to call the police by promising to leave the abuser for good. As I mentioned earlier, a victim (or survivor for those who prefer that word) of domestic violence will forgo treatment even when the injuries are serious. Research some of the injuries she sustains to see what type of medical treatment is required. You may find that she doesn't need to go to the hospital to heal.

Best of luck with your WIP! If you decide to post a portion in the SYW forum shoot me a PM to let me know. I like character-driven novels.

whimsical rabbit
08-15-2010, 09:43 PM
It's a realistic solution for the sister to convince her brother not to call the police by promising to leave the abuser for good. As I mentioned earlier, a victim (or survivor for those who prefer that word) of domestic violence will forgo treatment even when the injuries are serious. Research some of the injuries she sustains to see what type of medical treatment is required. You may find that she doesn't need to go to the hospital to heal.

Best of luck with your WIP! If you decide to post a portion in the SYW forum shoot me a PM to let me know. I like character-driven novels.

Thank you so very much, this is brilliant input. I think that's what I'll do, I'll have her convince her brother not to call the police, and do some research as per your advice.

I wish I could post a portion in the SYW, but you see this one's in Greek :e2smack: I got a few ideas lined up though, which I've decided I'm going to write in English. Thanks so much for your interest anyhow, it's really encouraging!

Thank you everybody else for your advice, too, I really appreciate it!