The "Hindenburg Omen" has struck Wall Street -- (Is it time to pass out razor blades?)

Plot Device

A woman said to write like a man.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sandwichboardroom.blogspot.com
I'm not sure what to say. I used to work in high finance and I've never heard of this one. But read below and decide if it's all just a lot of Wall Street superstition (and Wall Street is most assuredly FULL of superstition).

http://www.cnbc.com/id/38690976

Time to Fear the Hindenburg Omen?

Published: Friday, 13 Aug 2010 | 10:10 AM ET

Robin Knight CNBC Associate Web Producer

There is disagreement over whether the New York Stock Exchange is giving signs of the much-feared Hindenburg Omen or not, but investors shouldn't place too much store in the crash indicator, Daryl Guppy, CEO of Guppytraders.com, told CNBC.com.

The omen, named after a German airship that burst into flames while making a landing in the late 1930s, was developed to predict the potential for a financial market crash. Some market watchers have been sounding the alarm and claim the omen is back.

Financial Web sites Zero Hedge and Gold Seek both claimed that all five of the omen's criteria were satisfied on Thursday.

The criteria for the omen are fairly complex, but are focused on the level of uncertainty within the NYSE. It watches for a lack of conviction among investors.

The omen is triggered when more than 2.2 percent of the NYSE Composite Index's stocks are finding new highs while another 2.2 percent or more of the issues are creating new lows. The lesser of the two numbers has to be larger than or equal to 69. The NYSE 10 also has to be rising and the McClellan Oscillator — a measure of market breadth based on advancing and declining stocks — has to be negative on that day....

[snip]

Guppy has previously warned CNBC that US stocks were repeating a pattern not seen since the Great Depression. The pattern, most clearly seen in the Dow Jones Industrial Average, showed a strong correlation between the market slumps of 1929 and 2008, he said. If it can’t invalidate the pattern, but could prove a bearish signal for the index, he claimed.

sulong

It's a matter of what is.
Registered
Reaction score
The omen is triggered when more than 2.2 percent of the NYSE Composite Index's stocks are finding new highs while another 2.2 percent or more of the issues are creating new lows. The lesser of the two numbers has to be larger than or equal to 69. The NYSE 10 also has to be rising and the McClellan Oscillator — a measure of market breadth based on advancing and declining stocks — has to be negative on that day....

Advancing volume - declining volume is much more indicative to fucture intent of the participants. ( the people who put their money where their mouths are.)

Julie Worth

What? I have a title?
Registered
Reaction score
Doom stories are always trotted out on down weeks, especially if it's Friday the thirteenth.

Paul

Banned
Reaction score
wow, it's friday the 13th? i should be in bed, wit the door locked.
actually this is interesting, I assume it;s data collected post 1929 and expressed as a parable. must check it out. but we live in a different world that than, in terms of support systems, education , population expectation, communication and technology. Things may be hairy, but i dont see soup kitchens forming as a standard. ( i know some exist, but as a standard.)

icerose

Lost in School Work
Registered
Reaction score
Dang it! I missed Friday the 13th?! *Grumble* I always lose track of Friday the 13ths and I love them. Anyway, back to the scheduled threads.

Bird of Prey

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Personally, I think we're in for it on the market, I don't care what omen there is. . . .

Magdalen

Petulantly Penitent
Registered
Reaction score
Isn't forecasting doom on something which relies on investor confidence going to end up coming true if only because someone brought it up?

Yes!! The observer effect, combined with a smattering of self-fullfilling phrophesy, has been known to produce the (un)anticipated phenomena commonly referred to as the "Titanic-Hindenburg/Heisenberg particle wave of hysteria". Easy enuf to say on a Saturday.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Observer_effect
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uncertainty_principle

sulong

It's a matter of what is.
Registered
Reaction score
More "Hindenburg Omen" info

I admit I've never heard of this "Hindenburg Omen" before PD posted this thread.

Here's a little more information on the subject.
http://www.thestreet.com/story/10835851/1/hindenburg-omen-is-a-stock-market-crash-imminent.html

Quotes taken from page two from link.

Jason Goepfert at Sentimentrader.com told RealMoney's Rev Shark that the Hindenburg Omen does have a fairly good track record of predicting weakness, especially when there are a cluster of such Omen days in a short time frame. The average return of the S&P 500 three months after the Omen is triggered is a loss of 2.6%, and the market was positive only 29% of the time.
Notice the word "Weakness". That's not very scary, is it?

In the mood for some more Hindenburg Omen doomsday numbers? The probability of a move greater than 5% to the downside after a confirmed Hindenburg Omen was 77%, according to historical data quoted on Benzinga. It usually takes place within 40 days of the first Hindenburg event. The probability of a panic sellout was 41% and the probability of a major stock market crash was 24%.
This means that the "Hindenburg Omen" has a 76% failure rate at predicting a stock market "crash".

We can all go home now.

Gregg

Life is good
Registered
Reaction score
The (Wall Street) Journal reports, "Market analysts said only about 25% of Omen appearances have led to stock-market declines that can be considered crashes."

See full article from DailyFinance: http://www.dailyfinance.com/story/i...-crash-follow/19593800/?icid=sphere_copyright

So there's a 1 in 4 chance of a big stock market drop? Not very good odds.

On the other hand, an investment guy I pay attention to went to 100% cash last May. His technical indicators turned bearish then - and haven't changed.

Julie Worth

What? I have a title?
Registered
Reaction score
On the other hand, an investment guy I pay attention to went to 100% cash last May. His technical indicators turned bearish then - and haven't changed.

Did he also predict the crash of '08?