PDA

View Full Version : Eat, Pray, Love

truelyana
08-14-2010, 09:51 PM
The memoir by Author Elizabeth Gilbert has been produced as a film starring Julia Roberts. Columbia Pictures purchased film rights. It was released in the US yesterday Friday the 13th August and is set to be released on the cinema in the UK in late September. The memoir is about Elizabeth finding herself and inner peace, through 'Eat, Pray and Love'.

Has anyone read the book? And heard of the film? Anyone interested in seeing it?

For more information visit Elizabeth's website (http://www.elizabethgilbert.com/eatpraylove.htm)or visit the movie website (http://www.letyourselfgo.com/).

Thank you. :)

kaitiepaige17
08-14-2010, 09:52 PM
I'm seeing it next week :) It looks like such an inspirational story, and her journey is definitely something I would love to experience in my life. Plus, I love Julia Roberts, so that's just a plus :)

scarletpeaches
08-14-2010, 09:55 PM
I've read the book and wasn't impressed. I'd love to travel to three countries on a 'spiritual journey' if I was paid in advance for it, too. It seemed like false spirituality. "Look at me and how enlightened I am! Oh, but I still want money."

That's not to say money and spirituality are mutually exclusive. I just mean she kept banging on about how enlightened she was and I thought, "Yeah, love, who are you trying to convince?"

That said, Javier Bardem is made of WHOA. So if I can get over the fact Julia Roberts makes me want to claw my own eyes out, I might make myself watch it.

KTC
08-14-2010, 09:56 PM
My wife read the book. I'm pretty sure she enjoyed it...BUT when she found out they were making a movie, she could not for the life of her figure out how they could. It actually boggled her mind. I'd like to see it because I'm a fan of traveling...the places in the movie are the only thing that appeal to me, though. It 'feels' like place is a character in this one...and, if my wife wants to see it, I'd definitely go along for the ride...just to look at the scenery.

veinglory
08-14-2010, 11:22 PM
A self-improvement movie, based on a wealthy woman's world tour, that comes with its own line of over-priced pseudio-ethnic handbags (and hundreds of other products).

I can't say it rocks my boat.

2Wheels
08-14-2010, 11:39 PM
I don't know much about it, other than it's another Oprah book, or at least the author got to tout it on Oprah. What I know of the character/story doesn't thrill me either. It seems utterly contrived.

Celia Cyanide
08-15-2010, 02:58 AM
Three words. James. Freaking. Franco.

It's a must see!

kaitiepaige17
08-15-2010, 03:03 AM
Three words. James. Freaking. Franco.

It's a must see!

That too! Ooooo, I can't turn down a movie with his starry eyes in it :D

Cassiopeia
08-15-2010, 03:20 AM
I'm considering a matinee tomorrow just to see it. I plan to go all by myself.

scarletpeaches
08-15-2010, 03:21 AM
I always go to the cinema by myself. I go to see a movie, not talk to people.

Javier...shitty film...Javier...shitty film...

Decisions, decisions.

Paul
08-15-2010, 03:24 AM
A self-improvement movie, based on a wealthy woman's world tour, that comes with its own line of over-priced pseudio-ethnic handbags (and hundreds of other products).

ditto

even the brief trailer [preview] i saw made me wanna kill, not love. Sex in the city without the attempt at sex.

scarletpeaches
08-15-2010, 03:26 AM
I think you just hit on something that boils my piss about the book, Paul.

"I'm celibate! I'm so spiritual! I don't need to have sex to experience love- Oh, hello, Mr. Tall, Dark and Handsome. Let's fuck." :e2brows:

Oh aye. Your principals go out the window along with your knickers when someone available shows up, huh?

Cassiopeia
08-15-2010, 03:27 AM
I always go to the cinema by myself. I go to see a movie, not talk to people.

Javier...shitty film...Javier...shitty film...

Decisions, decisions.I've never done it. I always go with my kids. But I have a feeling, given all the traveling I've done, my life's journey and my food disorders, I'll probably cry and I don't want my kids fussing over me if I do.

Maybe this is just some media stunt...I don't know...but for me, the diet industry has everyone coming and going. And I'd like to know why Julia Roberts took on the project. (Yes, I'm a huge fan of hers) :)

scarletpeaches
08-15-2010, 03:30 AM
If I wrote this book it'd be called Eat, Eat, Eat. I'd never leave Italy.

Paul
08-15-2010, 03:32 AM
plus the food in Italy is pretty good...

:D

Cassiopeia
08-15-2010, 03:55 AM
plus the food in Italy is pretty good...

:DWas really good in my grandma's kitchen too. We Italians do love our food. :) or is that :(

CACTUSWENDY
08-15-2010, 03:58 AM
I saw an interview with Roberts about this and she said she was given the book a long time ago and fell in love with it. She bought a bunch of copies and gave them as Christmas presents to her GF's. She said she takes a trip once a year something along these lines. She also said she is a practicing ....Buddhist?..does yoga....?......at least on the meditation stuff.

Paul
08-15-2010, 04:15 AM
I saw an interview with Roberts about this and she said she was given the book a long time ago and fell in love with it. She bought a bunch of copies and gave them as Christmas presents to her GF's. She said she takes a trip once a year something along these lines. She also said she is a practicing ....Buddhist?..does yoga....?......at least on the meditation stuff.

Yeah, that's what came acroos in the clip the OMG eastern spirituality, like wow and stuff.
YOU'RE FIFTY YEARS TOO LATE TO BE HIP JULIE!!

Kiddin, always like Julie - did i mention i met her once, beautiful looking woman in real life (her skin actually shone) but that's another story...

Cassiopeia
08-15-2010, 04:19 AM
Paul...paul...it's never too late to become spiritual or be hip. tsk tsk. ;)

kaitiepaige17
08-15-2010, 04:20 AM
Paul...paul...it's never too late to become spiritual or be hip. tsk tsk. ;)

He's just mad because he'll never be hip...

Paul
08-15-2010, 04:24 AM
Hey, for your information i just got a new hip.

;) kiddin, honest.:)

Cassiopeia
08-15-2010, 04:44 AM
He's just mad because he'll never be hip...*snicker*

Hey, for your information i just got a new hip.

;) kiddin, honest.:)uh huh..surrrre. ;)

Kitty27
08-15-2010, 09:59 PM
Javier Bardem is enough to make me watch this movie. I am very easy to please.

I can ignore Julia Roberts. When the occasion calls for it,my focus can be very powerful.

I've never read the book but my co-worker did. In her words,it is angsty fuckery by a spoiled and whiny twat.

MissMacchiato
08-16-2010, 03:12 AM
agreed, I found the book to be a bit of a wank fest and I'm not really a big Julia fan, so I can't see myself seeing the movie. I was in Rome when they filmed that bit, I think I might have seen her actually!

But yup - I also got the feeling of fake spirituality, the 'look at how amazing this dew drop on a leaf is' kind of stuff that kind of vaguely irritated me. I was interested and repulsed by turns.

But James Franco? I'm more interested now... LOL

BenPanced
08-16-2010, 04:00 AM

They based this movie on a book by Madonna?

Sage
08-16-2010, 05:22 AM
I thought the commercials made it look cute (although I haven't seen the celibacy one). I haven't read the book, and I have no problem with Julia Roberts, though I know a lot of people do. (My roomie is obsessed with how much she shows her teeth when she smiles)

darkprincealain
08-16-2010, 04:29 PM
I loved the book. But I am avoiding the movie like the plague... I guess I don't see how it would work. Plus the wording of some of the lines in the trailer bothers me. It has completely lost EG's voice.

truelyana
08-17-2010, 03:39 PM
It's interesting to read the various responses. Thank you so much for responding. I have not read the book either, and have recently come across the trailer. It sounds like an interesting story nonetheless. :)

Devil Ledbetter
08-18-2010, 12:20 AM
Two hours and twenty minutes of watching Julie Roberts slurp spaghetti adorably while earnestly trying to find herself in her belly button would be more than I'm willing to volunteer for.

The music video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJdgkyOzWOs&feature=player_embedded) made me cringe. (Exotic Locals! Yummy Food! Julia Being Utterly Adorbs!) Obviously I'm a fan of Vedder, but he embarrasses me sometimes. The song sound 78% the same as another song (Unthought Known) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxs7KgZFKuI) on their latest album.

Manuel Royal
08-19-2010, 03:51 PM
But yup - I also got the feeling of fake spirituality, the 'look at how amazing this dew drop on a leaf is' kind of stuff that kind of vaguely irritated me. I was interested and repulsed by turns.I don't think you "become spiritual" by dabbling for a few months in philosophies that have been developed over millennia and are meant to be practiced for a lifetime.

I like Julia Roberts, though. I asked my dentist about her: "If Julia Roberts was in the chair and opened her mouth real wide, could you get both hands all the way in there? I bet you could."

kaitiepaige17
08-19-2010, 07:24 PM
The commercials were good, but the movie didn't keep me interested. It was too long (2 and a half hours) yet it felt rushed. I didn't stay for the whole thing because it really dragged at times, so by the time she got to the last country I was over it.

NewKidOldKid
08-22-2010, 07:07 AM
I hated the book. In fact, I skimmed the second half because I was so exhausted of reading so much bulls*it. You'd think that a book covering three amazing countries would be interesting, but no. Most. Boring. Book. Ever. I don't get the hype. I really don't. The book sucks.

I like Julia Robets. Javier Bardem annoys me. Franco... yum. But not sure that's enough to make me see the movie. Unless I wait for the DVD (or watch it online... ahem) and skip the parts where I feel like hitting the protagonist over the head with a hammer.

aruna
09-24-2010, 03:04 PM
The film has opened in the UK to some very bad reviews. I'll probably go and see it this weekend. Out of sheer curiosity!

I've read the book and wasn't impressed. I'd love to travel to three countries on a 'spiritual journey' if I was paid in advance for it, too. It seemed like false spirituality. "Look at me and how enlightened I am! Oh, but I still want money."

That's not to say money and spirituality are mutually exclusive. I just mean she kept banging on about how enlightened she was and I thought, "Yeah, love, who are you trying to convince?"

People with money have a right to spirituality too, and if were rich I would take more than a year off to go travelling; in fact, I'd do nothing but! And if I were offered 200k to visit the three I's, I'd grab it and run.

So it's not the money that bothers me so much as the fact that she was given it to go off and have a spiritual journey. I mean, where's the authenticity in that? If all the time you're having your amazing spiritual experiences you're making notes about how you're going to write about it?

I don't see how that can work out any way but fake. I mean, she's taking four months to do what other people need a lifetime for, and of course she's got to return "enlightened"!

The book annnoyed me a lot for this very reason. Also, though she tried to hide its identity, the "ashram" she went to is riddled in sex, money and power scandals. I see flashing red warning lights, and I hate to think of all the people who might flock there as a result. It's like PublishAmerica being promoted in a book about the writing life.

She claims she's a practicing Hindu.

aruna
09-24-2010, 03:11 PM
I hated the book. In fact, I skimmed the second half because I was so exhausted of reading so much bulls*it. You'd think that a book covering three amazing countries would be interesting, but no. Most. Boring. Book. Ever. I don't get the hype. I really don't. The book sucks.

Same here! I've wanted to visit Italy for literally decades and never got to go, and Indonesia is another place I'd love to go to. As for India -- well, everyone (on AW) knows of my love affair with India!

I too was bored by the book. This was nothing more than spiritual tourism by a spoiled rich New Yorker. I think my own story is far more interesting:
I was 21 years old, in Guyana, which is on the other side of the world from India, very poor, and I longed for India. I did some work and somehow, money came my way. I flew to England and then hitchhiked to Switzerland, worked some more, and then went overland with a couple of Swiss friends through Europe, Turkey, Iran Afghanistan and Pakistan (this was 1973).

When I got to "my" ashram I rented a hut without electricity or plumbing and lived on 15 a month for 18 months; it was unscripted, the best period of my life. And I stayed a year and a half and didn't see a great blue light which made me procaim "Huzzah! I'm Enlightened!", and I didn't rush off to write a book about it.
Maybe I should have...

CaroGirl
09-24-2010, 04:04 PM
Frankly, I liked the film better than the book. After the reading the book, I disliked EG rather thoroughly. What a stuck up, spoiled, whiny little so-and-so. Grow up already!

After the film, I felt the same way about the character but the scenery was gorgeous (I LOVE Italy!!) and Julia is extremely talented. She truly came into her own for this film (although I disliked the character just as much in the film as in the book). Javier Bardem was fantastic. A Brazilian friend of mine was less enthusiastic, saying his Brazilian accent was poor. :Shrug:

That said, the book and the film were both amusing and diverting in their way. I did hear that EG's second book is not good at all.

seun
09-24-2010, 07:11 PM
I saw the ad. Lots of shots of a hunky European guy mixed with lots of shots of Julia Roberts looking deep mixed with a few shots of Italian cities minus any poor people.

Plus I doubt there are any zombies involved. So bollocks to it.

aruna
09-24-2010, 08:23 PM
DUDE! That hunky Euopean guy is supposed to be hunky Brazilian guy!

seun
09-24-2010, 11:08 PM
DUDE! That hunky Euopean guy is supposed to be hunky Brazilian guy!

All I saw was a hunk. And judging by one or two of the comments here, that's all that matters to some of the potential audience. :D

scarletpeaches
09-25-2010, 02:10 AM
Yer dern tootin'. I don't think there's any spiritual problem a tumble with Javier Bardem couldn't solve.

aruna
09-26-2010, 02:05 PM
OK, I watched it yesterday. I'd give it full marks for beautiful scenery, cinematography, etc, and the acting wasn'r bad, though Julia as Liz came over as over the top several times.

But the story. OMG. Liz has a breakdown inthe bathroom and prays to God because "I'm in serious trouble". That serious trouble is a husband who adores her, a job she loves, a wonderful New York home, a "support system" of great friends.

Look, I know that wealth does not bring happiness, and I won't underestimate how horrible it is to live with depression. I know it feels like the end of the world, I know it feels like you are drowning in sorrow, and my heart goes out to anyone in that condition. But as a premise to a story in which a wife dumps her husband to "find herself" it's just bad, bad, bad.

If it were the other way around - a story about a man who dumps his devoted wife (it seems that one of the moments in which she makes her "I want out!" decision is when he considers going back to college to get his MA) for no fault of her own, and then imediately has an affair - this would not go down well with female audiences at alll. I just hate it when women get away with behaviour we berate men for, and then call those women "strong"!

The food in Italy did not impress me much, but then I'm not a foodie and particularly don't like pasta or pizza. But it did make me decide to take my husband to Tuscany next year, so that's one good thing that came out of it! Loved the setting, and Liz's landlady was marvellous, and so funny.

India was an embarassment, except for the seemingly authentic street scenes. The ashram looks exactly as I suspected -- cringeworthy. The sound-bites of wisdom are very trite, some of them questionable.

Bali too was marvellous as a background, but Liz's behaviour again is ridiculous. So she's afraid to love again -- what? SHE dumped the men who loved her, not th eother way around, so where's that fear coming from? It's usually the dumpees who are afraid to love again, not the dumpers.

In the book, btw, Liz IS a dumpee with her boyfriend David; in the book she is very clingee and can't let go. I suppose for the film it made sense to make her the dumper, but then the "I can't love again" plot point just doesn't work. "I don't need to love you in order to prove that I can love myself" must be the most convoluted argument for not going with your feelings that I've ever heard in a movie.
Anyway, my curiosity is sated. It's not a great film IMO.

BTW I went to an afternoon session and the cinema was less that a quarter full. Except for two men, all women, many of them grey-haired. Four women walked out before she even got to Italy, but one of them was heavily pregnant so maybe she went into labour. Two walked out when Bali began.

seun
09-26-2010, 02:52 PM
I was going to quote aruna but as I agreed with her whole point, it didn't seem neccessary.

Being serious for a second, I checked out the book of this on Amazon when it arrived at work and suspected it would be exactly as aruna described. It's sad that if the genders were reversed for this, the author would have been crucified.

MissMacchiato
09-26-2010, 05:18 PM
a husband who adores her, a job she loves, a wonderful New York home, a "support system" of great friends.

Nice life, if you can get it. How I wish I had that, threw it away, wrote a book about it while I travelled around the world to 'find myself'

In comparison? FML, man, FML!

aruna
09-27-2010, 11:03 AM
Oh yes, and all the little inconsistencies. In Italy, she and her skinny Swedish friend complain about the "muffin tops" they are getting from all the eating. So Liz says, let;s just finish these Pizzas and then go and buy some bigger jeans.
Next thing they are squeezing themselves into jeans that are obviously too small (oh yes, and they are still skinny). WHat happened to the bigger jeans, that would, you know, actually fit?
I didn't like the Brazilian hunk Felipe. I just don't like men who deliberately don't shave because they think it looks sexy, and that's what Felipe did. His acting was wooden, too; he was much better in Vicky Christina Barcelona.

Zoombie
09-27-2010, 12:59 PM
My flow chart to seeing a movie.

1) Does it have Daleks? No? Go to 1A) Yes? See film.
1A) Is it a Doctor Who movie? Yes? Go to 1B). No? Go to 2)
1B) Does it have Cybermen? No? Go to 1C) Yes? Go to 3)
1C) Does it have Vasda Narada? No? Go to 1D). Yes? Go to 2)
1D) Does it have Weeping Angles? No? Go to 3)
2) Is it a Toarchwood movie? Yes? go to 1B) No? Go to 3)
3) Why would I think there were Daleks in it? Is it a
A) Sci-fi Film?
B) Fantasy Film?
C) Warhammer 40,000 film?
D) Boring (Contemporary) Film?

if A) Go to 4B. If B) Go to 4C. If C) Go to Pi321. If D) Go to K

K) Is the reason why I want there to be Daleks in the film because I'd love to see whiny rich people run screaming from flying death trash cans? Yes? Don't see the film. No? Go to Kb Kappa 12)

Ken
09-27-2010, 01:57 PM
... liked her in that movie about the Von Trapps. Or was that some other Juila?

zahra
09-27-2010, 09:57 PM
I'd never heard of the book, but the film sounds like the kind of story and protagonist I hate with a passion.

I wouldn't go and see it if Tom Hardy were in it, naked.

Kate Thornton
09-28-2010, 02:57 AM
I liked the movie, but then I'm partial to pretty scenery - lots - and I don't really care how stupid and sappy the plot is if there is a decent sunset, nice landscape, interesting food and at least one or two pretty outfits.

On my stupid plot scale, it was well, off the scale.
On my pretty scenery scale, it got an okay-for-the-price
On my great looking guys and/or outfits I would buy scale it was well above normal.
I liked the music a lot, though.

CaroGirl
09-28-2010, 05:33 AM
I liked the music a lot, though.
I'll make you a mixed tape.

Kate Thornton
09-28-2010, 08:24 PM
Thank you Caro! I ordered the CD so I can play it in my car.

Lavern08
09-28-2010, 10:48 PM
... the film sounds like the kind of story and protagonist I hate with a passion.

I wouldn't go and see it if Tom Hardy Denzel Washington or Johnny Depp were in it, naked.

Fixed it and I agree. ;)

aruna
09-29-2010, 10:15 AM
You know, I don't remember much of the music. I can recall is Neil Young; I remember thinking the music doesn't fit the time; Heart of Gold is MY generation!
ANd of course Mozart: the Queen of the Night warbling through Julia Roberts' mind as she slurps spaghetti! That was sacriledge!
And Felipe's Brazilian music - that was nice.

aruna
11-16-2010, 12:57 PM
The book annnoyed me a lot for this very reason. Also, though she tried to hide its identity, the "ashram" she went to is riddled in sex, money and power scandals. I see flashing red warning lights, and I hate to think of all the people who might flock there as a result. It's like PublishAmerica being promoted in a book about the writing life.

To elaborate on this point, here' a Salon.com (http://www.salon.com/life/feature/2010/08/14/eat_pray_love_guru_sex_scandals) article on Gilbert's guru. Now, I don't believe in bashing anyone's spiritual path but I've now researched this cult thoroughly and it makes me cringe the amount of publicity it has been given as a result of Gilbert's book and the movie. It's true that she doesn't mention it by name but anyone with half a brain can find out with the help of google. The good thing is that they aren't cashing in on the publicity and have practically gone into retreat -- as has the guru, who hasn't been seen publicly since New Year's 2004.

(ETA: the comments thread is pretty good too.)

Scandiaca
12-27-2010, 06:23 PM
I liked it for the pictures and the music and the atmosphere. But I didn't agree with most of the "wisdom" parts. Over all a good watch though ^.^