Status
Not open for further replies.

bglashbrooks

Currently editing for punctuation..
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bglashbrooks.webs.com
I'm currently working on a RomSuspense that is basically a 'reunion' romance. The hero is a man who experienced a personal tragedy (FBI agent who lost his arm in an explosion) and reacted very badly in the months after.

One night when drunk he made a very sloppy and frightening pass at his much younger partner--who'd been trapped in the explosion with him. He then said things that he shouldn't have (blaming her, since she was there, etc., accusing her of being naive, etc.)

The next day she is transferred out of the unit.

FAST FORWARD 9 years:

He shows up as part of a task force she's working on...one thing leads to another and results in a one night stand...with a nine month consequence...

MY QUESTION IS:

Would you as a reader be put off by this? Since he was drunk and frightened her? She's spent part of those 9 years blaming herself for what happened since a part of it (there being there in the first place) was her fault and part of those years wondering about the intentions behind his pass.

(PS>>I apologize if this is in the wrong place...)

Collectonian

Inclined to eclectic eccentricity
Registered
Reaction score
I wouldn't mind that part...the thing that would put me off is the one night stand with a baby result. In this day and age, for me, it is way over played and I have a hard time caring what happens to folks that irresponsible, especially if they were sober. No excuse not to use birth control.

CheshireCat

Mostly purring. Mostly.
Registered
Reaction score
I feel the same way as Collectonian. The baby bit screams of being contrived and is an old, old, OLD device in romance. I assume your two characters end up together; I always wonder as a reader if they would have, sans baby. Doesn't have that "they were meant to be" flavor I like in romance or romantic suspense.

The only other thing I'd say is that the only way to make the past raw emotions between them work is to make sure the characters face and handle those in the present story. Nothing irritates me more than loads of angst in a past relationship that is never resolved -- except by an energic roll in the hay.

The "one night stand" bit rather makes me wonder if you just sort of skipped straight to physical attraction and ignored the emotional component.

bglashbrooks

Currently editing for punctuation..
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bglashbrooks.webs.com
The entirety of the story happens before she's too far along, the 'baby gets them together' doesn't really apply. (And they do use bc, but it has been known to fail!)

In fact, I'm not even sure if they will know about the baby before the end of the story.

Status
Not open for further replies.