PDA

View Full Version : Rite of passage or just mark of idiocy?

miamyselfandi
08-13-2010, 07:06 PM
I just fired off a query to the wrong agent at the right agency. My brain is deaded.

I can now grit my teeth and snarl a lot at myself and hope that the agent on the receiving end will pass it along to the agent who actually handles this kind of material... in the meantime, erm, grit my teeth and snarl at myself.

Sigh.

Kendare Blake
08-13-2010, 07:57 PM
Definitely rite of passage. When you're mass querying, one of them is bound to get away from you.

I once sent a long query to the wrong Sarah...kept calling her the wrong last name. It happens. If they're having a bad day, it might be enough to put them off, but I think they'll read it anyway. Good luck!

KTC
08-13-2010, 08:01 PM
I just fired off a query to the wrong agent at the right agency. My brain is deaded.

I can now grit my teeth and snarl a lot at myself and hope that the agent on the receiving end will pass it along to the agent who actually handles this kind of material... in the meantime, erm, grit my teeth and snarl at myself.

Sigh.

rite of passage. i had a huge thread here about the stupidity of spelling synopsis without a p. the query letter got me a full request. no mention of the missing p.

it happens to everyone...at least once. no matter how hard you try for perfection.

GOOD LUCK!

miamyselfandi
08-13-2010, 09:02 PM
Thanks, Kendare and KTC. My initial reflex was to send an immediate "oops" email but I restrained myself.

And then fired off some other queries so I'm not focused on the oops.

Miss Plum
08-14-2010, 12:32 AM
Yup, there are whole threads here about rites of passage. All kinds of hair-tearing insanity. Me? I put Agent A in the subject line of a query and then addressed and sent it to Agent B -- different agencies, different names, different everything.

miamyselfandi
08-16-2010, 05:51 AM
Did you get a reply to that query?

Miss Plum
08-16-2010, 09:58 AM
Did you get a reply to that query?
Yes, a personalized rejection. Go figure.

thothguard51
08-16-2010, 10:18 AM
Are you sure the agent sent the rejection to the right writer? Maybe it was really for someone else and they got your send full letter...

nighttimer
08-16-2010, 10:39 AM
Stuff happens. It's gonna sound funny in a few years when you're telling it to the folks while reading your best-selling novel at Barnes & Noble.

Erica75
08-22-2010, 02:49 AM
A few days ago I got a rejection that began "Your query was forwarded to me by [Agent X] since I am the primary YA rep at [this agency]" so yes, some do forward them.

That being said, I had actually sent mine to the right agent and she later emailed me again, apologizing for the wrong form rejection - and then gave me a personal rejection. So in terms of rites of passage, I guess mine is being rejected twice by the same person in the same day (although in the nicest way!).

Paul
08-22-2010, 03:14 AM
Just snuck in the back door by accident of an agency in pile, (to complex to explain) so sometimes works for the good...

course no doubt the rejection is a-comin...

Miss Plum
08-22-2010, 03:56 AM
Are you sure the agent sent the rejection to the right writer? Maybe it was really for someone else and they got your send full letter...
Ha, good question -- even an idea for a novel! Be a fun query letter to write, too.