I quit my job

mayaone

Registered
Reaction score
Well, I'm here because two things happened last week that aren't related. At least I think they're not. I signed my first contract with a small pub for my first book; a memoir I've been writing for years. And the boss or I should say the teacher who hired me to co teach with her 3 years ago, went nuts again on me. Last year she threw a few vicious tantrums and I worked sooo hard for her. Violin music now. But really, I learned while writing my memoir that I don't take abuse and I was taking abuse but needed the job.
I know I 'm not going to get rich on a book that has a niche audience and a small publisher, but who knows, right? So, I work one more week, pray she doesn't act up.
I've been thinking of the flight attendant or anyone who quits because "WE're mad as hell and we're not taking it anymore" In such an economy this is either brave or foolish. But I feel so free, or I did when I wrote my resignation letter.
Now, my book will be out in about 8 weeks in ebook form first and I'm here to make friends and be brave enough to let my book into the universe. As someone on the boards mentioned, I don't say the name of my book yet, or have a website link. In time, I will but I really am here to learn how to be a published author of something so personal as a memoir. So here I am soon to be naked, so to speak and living in paradise without a job but counting down to success. Aloha maya

Last edited:

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I know I 'm not going to get rich on a book that has a niche audience and a small publisher, but who knows, right?
Your next step: find a new job. Seriously. You're foolish if you don't and doubly foolish if you expect your memoir to financially secure your retirement years.

mayaone

Registered
Reaction score
I know I have to find a new job but since my book is about healing from anxiety and not taking abuse anymore, I need a few weeks to reflect. As for best seller, dreams are free right? and it does happen. Why not me lol

mayaone

Registered
Reaction score
Mata,
On purpose or is because you are writing your heart out?

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Mayaone, your contract is with Chipmunka Publishing, right?

With all due respect to you and to them, you really can't expect to earn much at all from sales of your book. Your royalties are extremely unlikely to pay for a week's groceries, let alone a lifetime's worth.

Please make finding a new job your immediate, urgent priority.

night-flyer

roasting cows
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats on your book. I wish I could quit my job, been wanting to since I started. Take some time off, then go job hunting. I'm not you, but I would hate to have to rely on my books flying off the shelves, in order to eat!

Deleted member 42

Please start looking for a new job.

It almost always takes five or more books being in print before you can afford to support yourself solely through writing. Times are hard, people are buying fewer books, and your tiny epublisher will do well to sell a few hundred copies of your book.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
you will probably not see ANY royalties from the publisher you chose. I wouldn't count on receiving a single dime. If I were you...I would get out there and find a job ASAP.

Bubastes

bananaed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gracewen.com
Dreams may be free, but food and shelter are not. I agree with the others: find a new job and don't depend on book sales to support you. "Don't quit your day job" is excellent writing advice for a reason.

mayaone

Registered
Reaction score
My last day of work was yesterday and it was bittersweet. I got a letter from a 6th grader who said. "I will cry when I think of you" and I laughed and cried too. I was planning to resign at the end of the year but the person I was working with was getting abusive last year and she again blew up at me at the beginning of the year. My mental health was more important. Good news. I have a new job. I will work tutoring international students at the University thanks to my niece who is a PHD candidate there and was asked about tutoring. So, I am starting next week. I never expected my book to suport me. I do hope it sells a lot of copies though. It will be out in ebook first so let's see what happens. Aloha Maya

Maxinquaye

That cheeky buggerer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
maxoneverything.wordpress.com
I did the same. I quit my job, lost my flat in London, had to move back home to my home country. But it was the right thing to do. But, after feeling good and forward, and thinking about how I showed them, I signed up in the dole queue to find a new job.

Seriously, you're not going to make a living writing fiction. That's just how it is.

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Glad you found a new position where you can interact one on one with students. Best wishes.

joyce

I'm really shy...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thoughtsfromthecave.blogspot.com
Congratulations on the book and the new job. I'm not sure at this stage in my life I'd work at any job that I'd have to suffer constant mental abuse. Hating your job because it's boring or you know you could do better is one thing, but having to go to a daily job and be abused by your coworker or boss is something totally different in my eyes. Obviously, your choice was the right one and it panned out in your favor. Best of luck.