Fiction Writers: How much non-fiction do you read?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PivotalSyntax

Luftmensch
Registered
Reaction score
Website
eloquentabandon.wordpress.com
I find myself reading non-fiction, and that piques my interest in the subject I'm reading, which makes me want to explore the topic more, or it leads into another similar subject. I end up reading a billion non-fiction books, and then I realize, oh, maybe I should read some fiction. I'm interested in philosophy and science, so sometimes it's hard to balance non-fiction with fiction. The problem is that it takes a lot longer for me to read non-fiction than fiction, especially when it's rather challenging or deep.

How much non-fiction do you read? Do you think it helps your writing?

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I read about 70% non-fiction because it interests me. I especially read it when I'm between writing projects. When I'm actively writing, what little reading time I have, I find myself wanting to read more fiction than non.

Guess it's the way my brain likes to take a vacation.

Ineti

Purveyor of Prose
Registered
Reaction score
I read a lot of non-fiction, mostly biographies and history from a variety of time periods. It definitely helps me with my writing. I get story ideas and world-building ideas from my non-fiction reading, and non-fic reading also broadens my horizons and teaches me about something new.

Bubastes

bananaed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gracewen.com
I read a lot of non-fiction as well as fiction. I don't know whether it helps my writing because my non-fiction reading habits are all over the place. Right now, I'm reading non-fiction about local food, the credit crisis, and collegiate a cappella groups. :Wha: And I write women's fiction/romance.

Tasmin21

They will come from below...
Registered
Reaction score
I generally don't read non-fiction for pleasure, but I do read a TON of it for research purposes.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
i read what interests me. period.

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Lots of non-fic read here, both for research and pleasure. I'm obsessed with 19th century explorers and love reading their journals.

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Lots of non-fic read here, both for research and pleasure. I'm obsessed with 19th century explorers and love reading their journals.

i'm obsessed with buddha and paramahansa yogananda. and the 30s.

SirOtter

Il Cavaliere Marino
Registered
Reaction score
I've never counted, but my guess is that at least half the 10,000 books in my house are non-fiction, either related to the day jobs She-Who-Must-Be-Obeyed and I hold, or history books (my BA is in history), or a wide variety of reference works on almost any general topic imaginable, or something else I bought because it looked interesting.

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
I've always read a lot of biography, autobiography and memoir, and the occasional true-crime. That's the highest proportion of non-fiction that I read. I will also read non-fiction subjects that related to a current fiction project. And newspapers and magazines. I read my local paper daily and have a subscription to a couple of magazines.

I'd say the percent is probably about 10-20% non-fiction.

Theresa

Registered
Reaction score
Lately, I've read quite a lot of non-fiction about learning, bilingualism, language learning, learning disabilities, ... This field interests me and it even helps me with my article writing as I learn new facts, get new ideas and get a deeper knowledge of what I'm writing about. It doesn't affect my fiction writing, though.

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I've always read a lot of biography, autobiography and memoir, and the occasional true-crime. That's the highest proportion of non-fiction that I read. I will also read non-fiction subjects that related to a current fiction project. And newspapers and magazines. I read my local paper daily and have a subscription to a couple of magazines.

I'd say the percent is probably about 10-20% non-fiction.

one of the best 'novels' is non-fiction...In Cold Blood. (-;

K, the oxymoron

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
... lots too, mainly bios. One reason for that is that the novels I'm interested in are almost always difficult to come by and never readily available at the library or bookstore, requiring me to order them. I'm less picky with nonfiction and often find good titles on the shelves.

Paul

Banned
Reaction score
yes, the more i write fiction, there more i read non-fiction. i think non-fiction offers an example of structure to a writer without them prob realising it. or maybe it's just an emotional / subject matter/work, break

WendyNYC

fiddle-dee-dee
Registered
Reaction score
I generally don't read non-fiction for pleasure, but I do read a TON of it for research purposes.

Same here, but right now I'm (finally) reading OUTLIERS and Ooh! It's really interesting! Not sure I buy everything about it, but fascinating nonetheless.

Recommend.

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
I find myself reading more and more non-fiction as time goes on. Right now I'm probably 50-50. When I was 17, I probably hadn't read a single non-fiction book on my own. Then I read Boswell's Life of Johnson. That planted a seed which has been growing steadily ever since.

In school, though, nonfiction always seemed SO BORING. I think more of an effort needs to be made in introducing kids to gripping nonfic.

CheG

Registered
Reaction score
Website
chegilson.blogspot.com
Not enough!! I read whayever non-fic I need for a story but not much outside that. I am a massive consumer of documentaries though. Does that count?

cwfgal

On the rocks
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bethamos.com
I read very little nonfiction in book form outside of what I read for novel research. But I read a lot of nonfiction in the form of newspapers, magazines, and ezines. If I had to guess at the division of my reading time, I'd say it's close to 50-50 fiction-nonfiction.

Beth

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
Not a great deal. I read autobiographies and historical stuff but that's about it. Should branch out really, but there's only so much time and always more violent horror to read. :evil

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
Lots. I love history and different mythologies etc. My Dad was rather surprised when he asked me what I want for Christmas and I said 'A history of ancient China and the Bumper Book of Bravery' (which has some great potted stories in it, which I then read up more on the ones that interest me)

I'm currently reading about the Hellfire Club, and my oh my, do I get some story ideas...

Status
Not open for further replies.