finished first draft of a novel

rowriter

Bibliophile
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rlcdawriter.blogspot.com
I finished the first sloppy draft of my first novel, woo hoo! Now it gets printed out and put into a drawer for a few weeks. The first draft is a little over 100k words; mostly I wanted to just 'see if I could do it'; I've been flirting with writing for a long time but never got as serious about it as I am now.

So now it's time to start ironing out the next one, and I'm going to try to write a few short stories in the time between now and November (I'm going to use NaNoWriMo to write the second book)

I'm pretty sure this first novel is crap, and I'm regretting telling a lot of family members that are now saying every time we talk "I want to be the first to see it!" God, I don't even want to see it....but who knows, maybe with a lot of work it will turn out to be something worthwhile. If nothing else, I've learned a lot, and I know (hope) the second book will show that.

Printing the whole thing out is a form of reward, but I think some Vodka will do well, too. Yay!

spacejock2

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.spacejock.com.au
Well done - you've acheived something 95% of writers don't, and that's to finish a first draft. Even if you think it sucks, it's still the block of stone you can carve into a sculpture.

I'd resist the temptation to let anyone else read it, at least until you've honed it with a couple more drafts. Remember they'll only read it once, so hit them with the best you can. Ask for the copies back, too, and encourage them to scribble comments in the margins. If two or three people are confused in the same place, it's a red flag for sure.

Also, remember that most of them will tell you it's great, whatever they really think. For an unbiased professional opinion you need to submit to an agent ;-)

Cheers
Simon