After your agently relationship is over

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
My agent told me that he can't sell my memoir. I asked for something in writing dissolving our relationship, and he said he would send it, but hasn't. It's been a few months.

My problem is this: I wrote The Driver from three chapters of the book I'm proposing now.I want that story back for this one. Can I do that? Does he own the rights to that story?

If I get it published, can he sue me?

Deleted member 42

Keep the email severing the relationship.

Check your contract with the agent re: severing too

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
Well, he didn't buy the book. He was only contracted to sell it, which he didn't.

Check the contract thoroughly, but I should think you're in the clear.

Mr. Anonymous

Just a guy with a pen & a delusion
Registered
Reaction score
Wayne, I have no idea about your actual question but I just wanted to say I'm sorry and to wish you luck in finding another agent. I've read some of your writing, and you REALLY do deserve to be published.

Ryan_Sullivan

Agented YA Writer
Registered
Reaction score
It depends. My contract specifically says I just need to let the agent know in writing. Check yours. You're probably fine if you have something written showing that you have severed the relationship and confirmation that he got it.

DeadlyAccurate

Absolutely Fazed
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.carlaharker.com
My contract stated I needed to send a certified letter severing the relationship, so that's what I did (after an initial email). Instead of waiting on him to sever the contract, you should be able to do it. Read your contract carefully, though, to make sure there aren't any gotchas.

shaldna

The cake is a lie. But still cake.
Registered
Reaction score
Keep us informed too, cause we're nosy.

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
I have all the e-mails, but I'm going to send the certified letter. The contract isn't specific, but it's a good suggestion, thank you.

Shaldna, I'll do that :)

Little Red Barn

haz own threads
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Wayne, as others said, it's your work. I know regarding my own personal experience, that sometimes you have to be the squeaky wheel. A polite squeaky wheel. :D I went to presi of my agency ( old school large agency), explaining what I needed -- expected from them for my complete and immediate release. A relief for all I'm sure. And just because that agent couldn't sell doesn't mean another can't.

Good luck.