Status
Not open for further replies.

Dancre

Just have fun.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kimkouski.com
Ok, so what's your typing speed: http://www.typingtest.com/testdone....hksum=26268&unit=wpm&kh=54&td=&err=7&hits=330

I was pretty suprised that mine was between 55-60 with around 8 errors. But we're writers, for Pete's sake!!! It kinda slows down when the grammar in the test is incorrect. Wait, that's not right. No, no, don't correct it. Just type. But it's wrong! It doesn't matter. You've wasted 20 seconds correcting it. But . . No, stop!! 36 words per minute?? ARe you serious?? Well, if the peice had correct grammar than . . . . LOL!!

Gugland

Sufficiently downsized
Registered
Reaction score
I hate that site. The way the words are highlighted as you're typing them makes it really hard to follow. Also, the text is so big and centered on the screen, it's not very realistic.

I scored really low (55wpm after errors). I should be in the low 70s, maybe a little less since I don't type as much lately, being unemployed an' all.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
83 wpm...but man, when I'm typing my own words I'm WAY FASTER. the test doesn't show how fast I can type...not in the least.

Vorteil

lost in the mountains
Registered
Reaction score
I got 86wpm on that test, which is faster than I normally am...I'd say over a longer time I'm not any faster than 70. And that's how fast I write, as well--could probably go faster if I typed faster, but my technique is not so beautiful.

Kateness

Registered
Reaction score
Website
kateness.wordpress.com
I'd venture a guess that those who are under about 25-30 will tend to have higher typing speeds than those over that.

I'd posit two possible reasons for it.

(1) older people may have learned to type on typewriters, which necessitated pressing a helluva lot harder on the keys which would necessarily slow one down - they may never have grown out of it (case in point, my mother, in her early 50s. She really plunks down on the keys and when she has to use a touchpad, she has to dial the sensitivity of it way back because she's pretty heavy-handed)

(2) Younger people tend to use keyboards real often, often much more than those who are older. We're constantly texting and tweeting (no, I don't do either of those, that much, and I don't mean to disparage any of the rest of people my age), and I know my typing speed only really increased by leaps and bounds when I started transcribing handwritten stuff to computer 6-8 years ago.

Susan Coffin

Tell it like it Is
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.strokingthepen.com
Kate,

When my uncle was in the Marines during the Vietnam War, his job was as an assistant to some big wig in the Marines--he typed all of his correspondence and memorandum on a manual typewriter. At that time he typed around 80 wpm, error free.

Man, I could not imagine!!

I work at a computer all day long writing legal-ease, and I still don't have a fast typing speed. Maybe I should practice more.

Becky Black

Writing my way off the B Ark
Registered
Reaction score
Website
beckyblack.wordpress.com
Pretty low, around 25 words a minute. Maybe 35 if I don't backspace and correct the more egregious typos as I go. But that's fast enough for me. I've still produced plenty.

Kateness

Registered
Reaction score
Website
kateness.wordpress.com
Kate,

When my uncle was in the Marines during the Vietnam War, his job was as an assistant to some big wig in the Marines--he typed all of his correspondence and memorandum on a manual typewriter. At that time he typed around 80 wpm, error free.

Man, I could not imagine!!

I work at a computer all day long writing legal-ease, and I still don't have a fast typing speed. Maybe I should practice more.

Consider me corrected :D

cscarlet

AW = Procrastination.
Registered
Reaction score
72 WPM with one error taken into consideration .... I've tested faster than that, but I haven't tested my typing speed in a while so it was still fun. :)

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
I can type at sixty words per minute error free, and do it for hours. Or I can type a good deal faster with the same errors creeping in regularly. "Teh" for "the", or a ";" when I want a "'".

But I write at an average of eight to ten words per minute. And ten is pushing it. This still gives me 2,500 words during my five hour writing day. That's more than good enough.

Gugland

Sufficiently downsized
Registered
Reaction score
I'd venture a guess that those who are under about 25-30 will tend to have higher typing speeds than those over that.

I'd posit two possible reasons for it.

(1) older people may have learned to type on typewriters, which necessitated pressing a helluva lot harder on the keys which would necessarily slow one down - they may never have grown out of it (case in point, my mother, in her early 50s. She really plunks down on the keys and when she has to use a touchpad, she has to dial the sensitivity of it way back because she's pretty heavy-handed)

(2) Younger people tend to use keyboards real often, often much more than those who are older. We're constantly texting and tweeting (no, I don't do either of those, that much, and I don't mean to disparage any of the rest of people my age), and I know my typing speed only really increased by leaps and bounds when I started transcribing handwritten stuff to computer 6-8 years ago.

You forgot one:

(3) Arthritis.

Collectonian

Inclined to eclectic eccentricity
Registered
Reaction score
Interesting...89 wpm, 3 errors, so adjusted of 80 wpm. Considering I was sitting with really bad posture on my sofa hunched over my laptop, not bad at all. I did the 1 minute test after the 3 minute one messed up (text didn't scroll when I got to the bottom). About what I expected...and I'm over 30 :p (I'd expect I'm not the only one over 30 who had to take at least one semester of keyboarding in high school...and while I drove my teacher to distraction, it did stick :p )

Ehab.Ahmed

Drifting Silently
Registered
Reaction score
I got the same exact result as you, Dancre! Even though I think I could've scored better had the words been my own :) It was fun, tho.

SPMiller

Prodigiously Hanged
Registered
Reaction score
Website
seanpatrickmiller.com
Triple digits, baby.

Doesn't matter much, though. My actual production rate, dividing total words written by minutes spent writing, including all editing/revision/rewriting, varies between 1.5-6.0 word/min, depending on the story. Yeah, I actually keep track of that.

Oh, and I should probably point out I'm a self-taught typist who uses only one finger on his right hand. I'd hate to think how quickly I could type if I used proper technique.

Last edited:

Lost World

He'll NEVER fit in!
Registered
Reaction score
But I write at an average of eight to ten words per minute. And ten is pushing it. This still gives me 2,500 words during my five hour writing day. That's more than good enough.

That's the important part. I can type 65 WPM, but who cares? It's the amount of words you cogently write per hour that gauges your writing speed, which is what should matter if you're a writer (sorry, but wpm is a statistic best left on a secretary's job application). I write about 6-7 hundred words per hour, slower if I'm struggling and up to 900 if I'm really flying.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
That's the important part. I can type 65 WPM, but who cares? It's the amount of words you cogently write per hour that gauges your writing speed, which is what should matter if you're a writer (sorry, but wpm is a statistic best left on a secretary's job application). I write about 6-7 hundred words per hour, slower if I'm struggling and up to 900 if I'm really flying.

Some of the most prolific writers I know write in longhand, or can barely type. Nancy Kress is an award-winning writer, has sold something like twenty novels, plus innumerable short stories. . .and she types with one finger.

"Speed kills" often applies to more than drugs and driving.

Lost World

He'll NEVER fit in!
Registered
Reaction score
Definitely so; quality of work must never be sacrificed. However, it is nice to know how fast you generally work, especially if you have a "day job" that allows only minimal time to write.

Status
Not open for further replies.