PDA

View Full Version : Is it just me or is there something wrong with AW

Sydewinder
08-11-2010, 10:17 PM
When you guys click on a new page/thread are you automatically shot to the bottom of the page? it's driving me nuts!

Chris P
08-11-2010, 10:19 PM
Not for me. Only when I click on the "last post" arrow.

Said The Sun
08-11-2010, 10:23 PM
No. But sometimes the page won't load and it annoys the crap outta me.:Shrug:

Medievalist
08-11-2010, 10:24 PM
When you guys click on a new page/thread are you automatically shot to the bottom of the page? it's driving me nuts!

That's a little odd. You might check your browser Preference settings, or even just try clearing your cache and restarting.

It's javascript acting wonky on your end.

Bufty
08-11-2010, 11:50 PM
Me, too, but only when I click on the little blue 'Go to last post' symbol beside the name of the last person to post in the thread. That's usually where I do click.

Maryn
08-12-2010, 12:01 AM
Um, my ignorance is showing yet again. By the little blue 'Go to last post' symbol, do you mean "Go to First Unread"?

Or am I missing some vital feature because once again I'm kind of a dope when it comes to computers?

Maryn, kind of a dope in many areas, actually

tjwriter
08-12-2010, 12:09 AM
Um, my ignorance is showing yet again. By the little blue 'Go to last post' symbol, do you mean "Go to First Unread"?

Or am I missing some vital feature because once again I'm kind of a dope when it comes to computers?

Maryn, kind of a dope in many areas, actually
There's two buttons, Maryn. One is on the left hand side which goes to first unread.

Then say if you under Bulletin Board, looking at all the threads in that subforum, the right side shows the last poster and there's an arrow there that will take you directly to that last post.

On an unrelated note, I am assuming, Lisa, that the inactivity timeout setting has been moved back to a shorter duration? I've had to log in several times today and just figured that is what it is.

shadowwalker
08-12-2010, 12:26 AM
I've noticed the "Today's posts" on the main page is missing - I don't always sign in or have time to look at each category to see what's new, so I miss having the option of just doing a quick check of new posts.

Medievalist
08-12-2010, 02:19 AM
I've noticed the "Today's posts" on the main page is missing - I don't always sign in or have time to look at each category to see what's new, so I miss having the option of just doing a quick check of new posts.

You see New Posts if you're logged in, and Today's Posts if you're not.

Medievalist
08-12-2010, 02:21 AM
On an unrelated note, I am assuming, Lisa, that the inactivity timeout setting has been moved back to a shorter duration? I've had to log in several times today and just figured that is what it is.

We changed it to try and reduce server load. We're still trying to figure out what was causing the server to engage in navel-gazing--and honestly, it might even be us, it might be the ISP.

But reducing the time has reduced the server load.

shadowwalker
08-12-2010, 05:12 AM
You see New Posts if you're logged in, and Today's Posts if you're not.

All that I'm seeing (not logged in) is "Register", "FAQ", and "Calendar". Logged in, everything is the same as it was.

tjwriter
08-12-2010, 02:58 PM
All that I'm seeing (not logged in) is "Register", "FAQ", and "Calendar". Logged in, everything is the same as it was.
I saw it, too. For whatever reason, Today's Posts was not there one of the times I hit the main page and was not logged in. After you first posted about it, I logged out and Today's Posts was there, but when I clicked it, it required that I log in.

Kind of Funky.

Medievalist
08-12-2010, 09:08 PM
Aha!

We also changed the ability for non-logged in users to do searches--searches are also an extra server load--in trying to get AW back on its feet.

If you aren't logged in, you see Today's Posts--IF non-logged in users could do searches. Since they can't, Today's Posts won't appear.

We're still not sure what/why AW was ailing, so Mac may turn on the ability for non-logged on searchers to search later.

ETA: If you are logged in, Today's Posts is available from the Quick Links menu, in the blue stripe at the top, on the far right, right under your login name/notification.

MoonStone
08-27-2010, 10:07 PM
I am unable to get into forums using the board password anymore...did it change?

Medievalist
08-27-2010, 10:12 PM
I am unable to get into forums using the board password anymore...did it change?

No passwords were changed.

Which forum are you talking about?

Keep in mind that there are several different passwords for different forums; they are listed in the descriptions on the top page.

See also this (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=127598) and this (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58794) in FAQs. You may have a corrupted or stale cookie.

There is no "board" password. You have your password to login, and password protected forums like Erotica or SYW have additional passwords.

MoonStone
08-27-2010, 10:13 PM
No passwords were changed.

Which forum are you talking about?

Keep in mind that there are several different passwords for different forums; they are listed in the descriptions on the top page.

See also this (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=127598) and this (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58794) in FAQs. You may have a corrupted or stale cookie.

There is no "board" password. You have your password to login, and password protected forums like Erotica or SYW have additional passwords.
Oh, okay thanks! I was only told of one password so I just didn't know how to refer to it other than saying board pass-incase someone thought I was using my own password. I will check it out.

Hmm found three passwords, none work for me..

Submissions and resp. time forum

Soccer Mom
08-28-2010, 01:45 AM
Not sure what you're talking about, Moonstone. There is no "Submissions and response time" forum.

Cyia
08-28-2010, 05:11 AM
Oh, okay thanks! I was only told of one password so I just didn't know how to refer to it other than saying board pass-incase someone thought I was using my own password. I will check it out.

Hmm found three passwords, none work for me..

Do you use the Blueboards (VerlaKay), Moonstone? They have a protected forum with that title (or at least similar). Maybe you're mixing the two up.

Medievalist
08-28-2010, 05:42 AM

That isn't a forum/subforum/board here.

MoonStone
08-28-2010, 07:35 AM
Oh..I know I see it under the links for Forum Jump, it is located below "comedy Workshop". If you click it, it will bring you to a password window. If it doesn't exist , no worries then :)

MoonStone
08-28-2010, 07:37 AM
Do you use the Blueboards (VerlaKay), Moonstone? They have a protected forum with that title (or at least similar). Maybe you're mixing the two up.
Maybe..I'm not sure what VerlaKay means though...

I just used Forum Jump at the bottom of the threads

Medievalist
08-28-2010, 07:48 AM
If it's in Share Your Work, then the password is vista.

If you enter the password, and it doesn't work you need to follow the instructions linked to in my earlier post, and clear your cookies.

MacAllister
08-28-2010, 07:52 AM
Ah! You're looking at the Greeting Card subforums. That's sort of its own little kingdom for weird reasons I'm not gonna go into, Moonstone, if you PM Cabria, she'll send you the password.

MoonStone
08-28-2010, 08:14 AM
Ooooh Haha. I'm glad that mystery is solved. Sorry for that. Thanks a bunch all.

Cyia
08-28-2010, 04:26 PM
Maybe..I'm not sure what VerlaKay means though...

I just used Forum Jump at the bottom of the threads

Blueboards is another name for the Verla Kay boards, which are for people who write for children. It's a separate site from this one. :)