Info about AWAI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeriactive

I am considering taking AWAI's copywriting course. Does anyone out there have any input as to it's worth, especially considering the rather hefty fee?

Can one really make a decent living from copywriting?

Thanks for any advice,
:)

dichucks

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.dianestilwell.com
don't know anything about the class, but I took a quick look at their site and it seems like a lot of money.

I make a good living in the field, but I live and work in NYC. (You can see my tv work at my site, www.dianestilwell.com).

For people who live in NY, I'd suggest a class at School of Visual Arts, where the teachers all work in the industry.

I also recommend the book, Hey Whipple, Squeeze This, by Luke Sullivan. It's a fun read and it's got good advice for budding copywriters as well as seasoned ones.

-di

Jeriactive

Thanks for yout input Di, appreciated.

I dont live in the USA so NY is not an option.

Is it true that with the cyber highway it is no longer nec to be local? Im writing from Israel.

Thanks again,

dichucks

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.dianestilwell.com
I work for the advertising agencies and they usually want you in the office at least for briefings and some face-to-face meetings with clients. But as a writer, and with emails and instant messaging, I'm able to work from home a lot.

People who work directly with clients may have a different perspective on things. For some, client meetings may be even more important, while others may use their website to attract business and work strictly through the net.

I'm fortunate in that I don't have the added pressure of going out and getting my own clients. that's a lot of work in and of itself, and I prefer to concentrate on the writing.

Are there any ad agencies in your area? If so, you could always call them for advice on learning the craft.

-di

Jeriactive

Good idea, thanks.

Is this market as open as the advertisements suggest, or is it another cut-throat business of everyone fighting for the same one job?

sgately

Registered
Reaction score
awai course

Hello,
Coincidentally, I am considering the same course. Or, the one on fundraising. I checked them out with the better business bureau and they pass. I think I will go for it, considering that there is a money back guarantee.
For something cheaper, try Bowerman's books, The Well fed Writer, and the follow up one that just came out. LOVE them both.
Susan

Status
Not open for further replies.