Immigration/Justice Juxtoposition

Michael J. Hoag

"What's-it on the wall."
Registered
Reaction score
Website
zamyatin-lives.blogspot.com
This set of issues keeps coming up at P&CE...

This boiling immigration debate makes me...

itchy.

Two stories from recent(ish) news:

NEARLY three-quarters of Australians do not want a bigger population, a recent survey shows.

The result appears to back up the decision by the Prime Minister, Julia Gillard, to switch from Kevin Rudd's ''Big Australia'' argument to her own ''sustainable Australia'' rhetoric.

(Snip)

Professor Betts said the survey was conducted late last year, not long after the Treasury released its prediction of a 36 million population by 2050, a prospect the then prime minister, Mr Rudd, welcomed. He said at the time:

''I make no apology for that. I actually think it is a good thing that our population is growing.''

But Ms Gillard abandoned her predecessor's policy shortly after she took over and renamed the Population portfolio held by Tony Burke ''Sustainable Population''.

http://www.smh.com.au/national/big-...-down-like-a-lead-balloon-20100803-115g7.html
Pretty representative of the immigration debate going on in the "global north" (which includes Australia and New Zealand.) In Europe and OBVIOUSLY in the US, this same sentiment has been growing.

It's little wonder. Bolivia is in the midst of a dramatic political transformation, one that has nationalized key industries and elevated the voices of indigenous peoples as never before. But when it comes to Bolivia's most pressing, existential crisis—the fact that its glaciers are melting at an alarming rate, threatening the water supply in two major cities—Bolivians are powerless to do anything to change their fate on their own.

That's because the actions causing the melting are taking place not in Bolivia but on the highways and in the industrial zones of heavily industrialized countries. In Copenhagen, leaders of endangered nations like Bolivia and Tuvalu argued passionately for the kind of deep emissions cuts that could avert catastrophe. They were politely told that the political will in the North just wasn't there. More than that, the United States made clear that it didn't need small countries like Bolivia to be part of a climate solution. It would negotiate a deal with other heavy emitters behind closed doors, and the rest of the world would be informed of the results and invited to sign on, which is precisely what happened with the Copenhagen Accord. When Bolivia and Ecuador refused to rubber-stamp the accord, the US government cut their climate aid by $3 million and $2.5 million, respectively. "It's not a free-rider process," explained US climate negotiator Jonathan Pershing. (Anyone wondering why activists from the global South reject the idea of "climate aid" and are instead demanding repayment of "climate debts" has their answer here.) Pershing's message was chilling: if you are poor, you don't have the right to prioritize your own survival.

Naomi Klein, the Nation

And from her blog:

With melting glaciers dramatically threatening its water supply, it is no surprise that Bolivia is emerging as a leader of the global South in the fight against climate change. And its climate negotiators have become eloquent advocates for a new, big idea that is reinvigorating the climate justice movement: "climate debt."
For me Naomi Klein voices the growing sentiment in the "global south" that they are owed a "debt" by the north, from the damage done by the north's economic policies.

Itchy.

So you were born in Bolivia? So what?! What? Your water has been privatized by American bottling companies or polluted until undrinkable by American mining companies or depleted by American Carbon emissions--all accomplished under CIA-installed dictatorships?

Well, you don't have to go home, but you can't stay here
!

As an environmentalist, I see the point of a sustainable population growth.

As a human, I understand the calls for justice from nations like Bolivia. And if we don't repay this debt to make Bolivia livable, how can we complain when Bolivians seek higher ground, or drinkable water?

Itchy.

Last edited:

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not as smart as most of you PC&Eers, so I have to ask...how are these two related? I'm confused. Maybe it's just because I just finished lunch...

Michael J. Hoag

"What's-it on the wall."
Registered
Reaction score
Website
zamyatin-lives.blogspot.com
LOL, yeah, it's not exactly two sides of an issue. To me, these represent two conflicting perspectives. These are fuzzy emotional perspectives and not well defined, IMO.

1. In Europe, Australia and the US, highly emotional anti-immigration movements are on the rise. The rhetoric is often very hot.

2. In the "global south" nations that are the source of these immigrants, there's a growing sense that people from the "north" are making their countries unlivable. There's a sense that they're entitled to things like food, shelter, water and work. And if it's "our fault" they can't meet these needs at home, how can we complain when they come here? And this kind of rhetoric is also gaining heat--even in our "northern" immigrant communities.

I work with immigrants in the US and I hear this perspective more and more as a contributing factor in immigration.

I think these are rumblings on the fault line of the 21st century--a conflict just now in its infancy.

Last edited:

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
I see. Thank you.

Now I need to think before I can leave a comment...

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
Well, the obvious solution is to try and simultaneously improve our methods of production so as to create less pollution and make the fruits of that production spread more evenly.

I have a hint on how to do that.

It involves nanotechnology.