Delays

Status
Not open for further replies.

pdr

Banned
Reaction score
Is anyone else finding it very hard to get onto the boards and into their Users CP?

I've been having regular timed out notices, and blank screens or 'waiting for absolutewrite' to such an extent that I have not been able to use the boards in the time I have available. This has been happening for quite a while now, I think over three weeks.

I have tried to vary the times when I visit but seem to have the same problems.

The waiting time is long enough for me to write two pages or do a chunk of online researching, and even then the final wait only results in a timed out notice or blank screen. User CP is certainly the slowest.

Could this be my computer or is AW so popular that there is always a queue?

Deleted member 42

AW's server has been ill; we've been offline most of yesterday. We were off and on for much of August 5.

We're still working on it.

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It appears to me that I'm experiencing delays in downloading images from Amazon for the book covers at the top of the page. Which are a wonderful thing to see, and for many of us, the fruit of why the Cooler is here.

pdr

Banned
Reaction score
I'm still...

experiencing considerable delays trying to move around the forum.

I can wait ten minutes with a blank screen and 'waiting for absolutewrite' notice before being able to move from one board or thread.

Is there a cure?

Deleted member 42

experiencing considerable delays trying to move around the forum.

I can wait ten minutes with a blank screen and 'waiting for absolutewrite' notice before being able to move from one board or thread.

Is there a cure?

That sounds like it might be a problem on your end.

Are you on dial-up or are you using a faster broadband service like DSL or Cable?

Are you noticing this with a particular thread or forum?

Does this happen at a particular time of day, regularly?

pdr

Banned
Reaction score
Systems?

Broadband.

Mozilla.

No, the delay is general, although I don't visit a large number of forums.

And it happens all the time.

Shakesbear

knows a hawk from a handsaw
Registered
Reaction score
That sounds like it might be a problem on your end.

I am having much the same sort of problem that PDR has outlined. I frequently get messages saying that the server at AW is taking too long to respond, or that there is a problem loading the page.

Are you on dial-up or are you using a faster broadband service like DSL or Cable?

I use broad band... no idea which as my brother sees to all the techie stuff.

Are you noticing this with a particular thread or forum?

I do notice it when I click on 'new posts' and try to navigate from page to page.

Does this happen at a particular time of day, regularly?

Um ... hard to say. The last five weeks I was on holiday and my sleep patterns were eccentric and I could be online at any time. Though I have thought in the past that at times the board is very busy at certain, possibly, obvious times (when members get home from work, get up in the morning) and the boards is very busy. Aware that this happens at different times across the globe - I am in the UK and it seems to happen when the US - or parts of it - are waking up!

Hope this helps.

pdr

Banned
Reaction score
Ah!

nice to know it isn't just me then!

I've virtually stopped using AW because of the delays. I only have a little time and most of it now goes on waiting.

Deleted member 42

AW's ISP had several outages in August; one of which was almost all day long. These affected AW adversely.

If you can isolate a time of day, it may be that one of the scripts that maintain the database is running. They tend to run on the hour, though not every hour.

Also, security settings on some browsers are bothered by the Google ads; they may pause before loading them in order to determine if the ad is a problem.

The ads pay for AW.

Last edited by a moderator:

Deleted member 42

Broadband.

Mozilla.

No, the delay is general, although I don't visit a large number of forums.

And it happens all the time.

Then it's not on our end. I've been watching the server load carefully and for the last two weeks it's been chugging along quite well except for a twenty minute slow period on 8.27.

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I sometimes have the same problem. I usually attribute it to either my broadband provider or something wonky with my old computer. Or it could be my non-existent mad computer skills :D

I just go away and come back later. Although closing my browser and then opening again sometimes helps.

MM

pdr

Banned
Reaction score
I'm still...

getting long delays, but now what happens is I get a white screen, httpgin instead of absolutewrite but the screen tells me the move is done.
Or I get waiting for... and then after a long wait the white screen!

Deleted member 42

getting long delays, but now what happens is I get a white screen, httpgin instead of absolutewrite but the screen tells me the move is done.
Or I get waiting for... and then after a long wait the white screen!

PDR we're currently running like a dream.

It's not AW. Is it possible that your security software is not liking the Google ads?

Would you be willing to temporarily turn off images in your Browser's Preference settings and then go to AW and see if that helps?

AW will look very different--you'll see text links instead of images of things like the navigation arrows--but it will work.

I know it will load faster; I'm interested in whether or not you get the hesitations and the white screens.

pdr

Banned
Reaction score
On a deadline!

When I can raise my head and breath again I will try to work out how to turn off the images and see what happens.

pdr

Banned
Reaction score
Haven't tried it yet.

But have discovered that if I sign in straight away there seems to be no hold up at all. That's right now. I'm holding my breath and hoping it lasts!

Status
Not open for further replies.