PDA

View Full Version : Ways to hurt yourself?

The_Ink_Goddess
08-11-2010, 12:00 AM
Sorry, yet another warped question from me. Thank you in advance for any potential help. :)

So I'm writing one of my warped stories, this time about a guy who can alleviate people's emotional pain by hurting himself physically. Now, the main method I've thought of him hurting himself is through breaking his bones -- also because it's something that I can portray quite intensely and realistically. But I don't want it to be a retread of Hannah Moskowitz's (fantastic) BREAK. The ones I've thought of so far --

- Breaking (mentioned above)

- Burning himself

- Cutting

But you guys are notorious for your awesome, twisted, unique and imaginative ideas. So anyone have any ideas of how I can vary this up? :D

scarletpeaches
08-11-2010, 12:05 AM
Making himself bleed somehow, seems like the most 'fitting' method. "The blood is the life," and all that.

Just my opinion, though.

scarletpeaches, sicko.

Smish
08-11-2010, 12:06 AM
Flagellation.

jennontheisland
08-11-2010, 12:06 AM
Wax his balls? (sorry, couldn't resist)

Staring at the sun.

Very loud piercing noise.

Habanero peppers.

Inhaling ammonia.

(note the use of senses other than touch)

backslashbaby
08-11-2010, 12:10 AM
Blood is cool, yeah.

Twisted would be something masturbatory, but that has genre issues, probably.

I vote free diving. Down to the murky depths. OK, that's a fear of mine, but it might translate to other people's heads. You'd have to check.

scarletpeaches
08-11-2010, 12:13 AM
I would like to change my answer to this:
Wax his balls?What colour would you like your internets, Miss Ontheisland?

DeleyanLee
08-11-2010, 12:17 AM
Sometimes the simplest is fine: Ram all your toes (or at least your smaller ones) into something immoveable.

Did that last night and I'm still in serious pain. Couldn't sleep 'cause I kept brushing them against the mattress.

Shakesbear
08-11-2010, 12:23 AM
DeleyanLee (http://absolutewrite.com/forums/member.php?u=17383) - OUch! That does hurt. hug.

Cutting nails - hand or finger - so short they bleed.

Pulling out of chunks of head hair - so that roots/scalp bleed.

Clouting funny bone with hammer - it really hurts if you hit the humerous and yet you fall about laughing. Well, I did. Couldn't move my arm for a couple of days.

Charles Farley
08-11-2010, 12:28 AM

He could pull out his teeth with pliers.

Shakesbear
08-11-2010, 12:31 AM

He could pull out his teeth with pliers.

Ewwww!

Splinters in gums from wooden tooth picks.

jennontheisland
08-11-2010, 12:31 AM
I would like to change my answer to this:What colour would you like your internets, Miss Ontheisland?
Blue please.

To match his balls.

Wayne K
08-11-2010, 12:34 AM
Marriage

Charles Farley
08-11-2010, 12:37 AM
Marriage

She said "hurting himself physically" ;)

Wayne K
08-11-2010, 12:38 AM
Exactly :D

AnonymousWriter
08-11-2010, 12:38 AM
Wayne we know how cool your wife is. You've told us she's made of awesomeness plenty of times. ;)

Wayne K
08-11-2010, 12:40 AM
F'real, I don't think cutting is as painful as breaking bones, but its easier to do. Burning is easier than breaking your bones and is far more painful.

Wayne K
08-11-2010, 12:40 AM
Wayne we know how cool your wife is. You've told us she's made of awesomeness plenty of times. ;)

She has bad taste in men :D

AnonymousWriter
08-11-2010, 12:44 AM
She has bad taste in men :D

She knew you had stories to tell, which is why she married you. So you could make you both millions of pounds, and be the most-loved household in town. :D

AnonymousWriter
08-11-2010, 12:52 AM
Electric shocks!

RJK
08-11-2010, 06:34 PM
Does anyone remember Marathon Man. When the Nazi dentist (Sir Lawrence Olivier)drilled into Dustin Hoffman's tooth, hitting a fresh nerve. Now there's a guy who knew how to hurt.

amlptj
08-11-2010, 07:00 PM
something really easy to do... and it seems like your character is going to need to use easy slightly un noticable ways to hurt himself would be:

Tootpicks or pushpins under the nails. (used as a tourture method)
Bitting off small pieces of his tounge
Toothpick dug underneath his tooth (regine between the gums and tooth)
Digging into an opened wound
Salt in an open wound or burn

If he often breaks bones and really wants to push himself to the limit he can dislocate his shoulder, horribly painful and if he does it enough he can manage to dislocate it without much or a problem but it will still be painful as hell.

If he often breaks fingers have his take off his splint and try to chisal or hammer something. if he holds a metal object then hit hit with another metal object the pain from the vibrations is said to be horrible

Razor blade slid across the tounge. Not only will he barly be able to talk from the pain but eating is excursating because so many things contain salt or substances that will sting.

Chemical burns. Many household products if misused and mixed can cause nasty burns, far worst then anything a fire can cause. 6M HCL or NaOH that can be found in any highschool lab is painful as hell.

If he has braces something that can be mind bogglingly painful and cruel is to move the wire with a pare of pliers so that the end sticks into the back regine of gum. The constant probing and prodding can if tampered with go as far as the bone.

Scraching the cornia of the eye. Trust me.... PAINFUL
Brusing or cutting the tenden at the back of the foot. (although if too deep he wont be able to walk)
If he jumps from a high hight and lands on his but he has the chance to disrupt his backbone causing constant nerve pain.

If he is allergic to anything such as peanut butter and exposes himself to it then anaphlaxtic shock is very painful i've heard.

Bufty
08-11-2010, 07:10 PM
A bleach cocktail would go down nicely -no?

This is one weird thread. Glad I'm not writing whatever ends up being written. Don't fancy reading it, either, but each to his own I guess....

Rhoda Nightingale
08-11-2010, 07:11 PM
I have a question for the OP: Is this pain-inflicting meant to be something he's hiding from others? Because that would narrow down your options a smidge. Broken bones, missing teeth, etc. are hard(er) to hide.

The_Ink_Goddess
08-11-2010, 08:17 PM
It depends on the injury, Rhoda. Sometimes he does stuff on impulse, like breaking and the teeth thing, but most of the time he tries to hide stuff. Thank you, though; you guys have given me some more fascinating/twisted ammunition to run with. :)

Nivarion
08-11-2010, 10:33 PM
Well, for a great amount of fodder, go youtube "Fail Stunts" "Nutshots" "Dumb ass stunts" and "Jump off roof fail" and any other variation you can think of.

Some of those made me hurt. Like the back flips into a pile of push pins. I mean, WHY!?

Horserider
08-12-2010, 12:37 PM
This thread is so incredibly morbid...

Rip off a finger or toe nail

Jump on a metal rail and land with it between his legs (That hurts just thinking about it and I'm a girl.)

I have a nerve that sticks out of the middle of my index finger on my right hand. If I press it against something just right, it's extremely painful. I've got one just like it somewhere on my right knee that I hit when I kneel sometimes.

Bang his head against the wall repeatedly. Eventually he'll get a migraine that won't go away.

Mayfield
08-12-2010, 10:06 PM
Puking.

Or having to listen to the sound of people chewing ice. Pure torture!

Nivarion
08-13-2010, 11:48 AM
Uhhh. I searched dumb ass stunts. The end of the first video made me sick.

They were jumping barefoot into piles of thumb tacks.

WHY!!!!

lm728
08-13-2010, 09:38 PM
Guts by Chuck Palahniuk almost made me heave.
He gives you some...good ideas in there, I guess.

Giant Baby
08-14-2010, 05:41 AM
I vote blood. You can do so much with it. It can spurt, seap, drip, gush... And plus, you know, it's blood. You can cut, dig, scratch, tear, impale, etc. to get it. What's not to love?

That's assuming you don't go for the balls waxing, of course. In which case, carry on.

whimsical rabbit
08-15-2010, 05:27 PM
I'd go for biting. Biting your lips, your tongue, your fingers, and so on.

A nice alternative is digging one's fingernails into one's palm.

I also have my MC brushing her teeth to the point her gums bleed, and scratching her head fiercely while washing her hair. My novel's dealing with DV by the way, so you get the picture.

night-flyer
08-15-2010, 05:44 PM
This is a crazy topic! How about stabbing needles in your eye! That sounds painful enough!

Jessianodel
08-15-2010, 05:57 PM
I was gonna go with sticking bamboo splinters under the nail and putting them in warm water. The bamboo expands and your fingernail pops off.

This is a really weird thread. I was cringing the entire time.