Agent wants phone call without having read manuscript (???)

Miss Plum

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Hi, guys

I'm not complaining, but I am puzzled.

An agent requested my partial + synopsis, and a day later -- without reading the full ms -- she asked for a phonecall appointment. She sent a quickie follow-up e-mail to say Oh yeah, and please send the complete ms.

Ever hear of anything like this? I'm wondering what to expect. It seems unusual.

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
This is why you want your materials to be top-notch when you send. Also a good case of the synopsis doing its job.

Good luck!

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
Sounds to me like it could be an R&R in the works. Partials often reflect the full, so if she sees a particular problem in the partial, she doesn't necessarily need to read the full to know that she wants an R&R. That's my take, anyway. :)

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
It's not uncommon. Agents not only have to love the books they sell, they also have to be able to work with the writers they represent. And the only way they can judge if that's a possibility is to talk with the writers before they sign up.

AngelaA

Are we there yet?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.angelaaddams.com
I got "the call" before the agent had finished reading my ms...she was only about half way through when she decided that she wanted to snag me and start working with me.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
My first agent called after reading only three or four pages of my manuscript. It happens.

Paranormal_Writer

Nearly always write!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lucyjonesauthor.blogspot.com
What other people have said. It DOES happen. My agent sent me the contract after only reading a partial. I hadn't even finished writing the book!

Goodluck - I hope the phone call goes well.

Miss Plum

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Thanks, all. I'll be prepared for all outcomes, and I'll let you know how it goes.

cspradbery

Best before 1998
Registered
Reaction score
Ditto above - my agent called me halfway through the manuscript to arrange a meeting. It can only be a positive sign, even if she's already after revisions. Come back and let us know how it goes!

TrixieLox

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yep, my agent called me before she finished the end of my book and arranged a meeting so can't be anything but good. :)

Miss Plum

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Whoa. The first thing out of her mouth: "We want to make an offer . . ."

ETA: A few details from me would probably help. It was a graphic novel project, and my proposal was pretty thorough. The agent got hooked on the artwork.

Thanks all for your encouragement and congrats! I'll let you know what I decide . . . I've nudged the others.

Last edited:

Mr. Anonymous

Just a guy with a pen & a delusion
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats, and good luck with the others! I'm sure more offers will follow. :)

Collectonian

Inclined to eclectic eccentricity
Registered
Reaction score
Awesomness, congrats!