Fashion

Sweetleaf

Momentary lapse of reason
Registered
Reaction score
At last, OFFICIALLY in the middle of nowhere. But
I went to the mall on the weekend, not something I do on a regular basis these days.

As I walked past the dozens and dozens of clothing stores, I couldn't help but notice an overwhelming theme of 1980's skank.

What the hell is going on? Has the fashion industry had a group lobotomy?!? It's like all the nightmares of my youth are coming back to haunt me!

You mark my words, pretty soon it'll be all side ponytails, bubblegum jeans and shoulderpads.

Am I the only one disturbed by this? Any thoughts?

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I went to the mall on the weekend, not something I do on a regular basis these days.

As I walked past the dozens and dozens of clothing stores, I couldn't help but notice an overwhelming theme of 1980's skank.

What the hell is going on? Has the fashion industry had a group lobotomy?!? It's like all the nightmares of my youth are coming back to haunt me!

You mark my words, pretty soon it'll be all side ponytails, bubblegum jeans and shoulderpads.

in my town in the 80s there were two kinds of clones:

Male Clone: jeans, lumber jacket, kodiaks and an adidas bag strung over the shoulder

Female Clone: tight skank jeans, feathered hair, tramp rock concert t-shirt (or tramp shoulder pad shirt of some type) and white runners.

i basically made most of my own clothes during that dark period. i refused the norm. the 80s were very ugly if you weren't me.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I wore plain t-shirts and jeans then, and I'm still wearing plain t-shirts and jeans. Just...different plain...you get the idea.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I wore plain t-shirts and jeans then, and I'm still wearing plain t-shirts and jeans. Just...different plain...you get the idea.

that's what i wear a lot now. in the 80s...i'd make pants out of floral bedsheets from the 70s. and shirts out of plastic wrap and kettle corn...or whatever was handy. i also had my trusty straight jacket...i wore that on cold days. it went lovely with my floral chinese slippers. but man...not recommended to walk in the snow in chinese slippers.

Devil Ledbetter

Come on you stranger, you legend,
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

'80s nostalgia is for people who are too young to have suffered through them the first time. The only worthwhile items in '80s fashion were heart shaped sunglasses and sailor shirts.

And maybe China flats.

Shakesbear

knows a hawk from a handsaw
Registered
Reaction score
It's only a matter of time. These things wax and wane in cycles, you know.

Yep! Fashion goes round and round - mostly a variation on a theme. Mainly OK with it as long as crinolines don't come back into fashion.

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
I saw a high-waisted jean + (tucked in) shoulder pad shirt ensemble that got a thumbs up on one of those fashion sites the other day.

I knew I should be afraid.

I wore what Michael Stipe did in the 80's, basically, most of the time. Even the same kind of dresses :D

Anya S

I rock - and roll - all night long.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
anyaeblog.com
Here in Japan, 80's skank is all the rage. I even found some black parachute pants with rainbow paint splatters.

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Goofy 80s crap has been pretty much mandatory for kids (at least in LA) for the past two years or more. But it's worse than the actual 80s were. Every time I see a pair of skinny jeans pulled down to reveal 4 inches of man-panty, I want to put out my eyes with a rusty spork. Ditto anything branded "DGK"/"Dirty Ghetto Kids"--damn you Reebok and your endorsement of poorly-named merchandise lines!

MissMacchiato

Bring on the Sweet, Sweet Coffee
Registered
Reaction score
it's awful, isn't it?

I've even noticed some 90s fashion as well, seriously, what the hell, the 90's wasn't long enough ago to bring it back - it was awful then and it still is now.

Roll on retro glamour :(