PDA

View Full Version : Plausible Fake Drug

Monkey
08-09-2010, 05:35 PM
I need a drug for my new WIP. Here's the drug as I have it outlined:

*Note: I have this as an injectable, with the drug and each Antidote shot set up in pre-measured, single-use syringes.

What it does:

It's an amphetamine that ramps up the adrenal system (giving the person the strength and intensity that comes with an adrenaline rush), dulls pain, increases flexibility, makes one fearless, and increases focus. I'm hoping for a strong increase in the performance of foot soldiers.

Side Effects:

The side effects are that it strains the adrenal system, eventually ending in death without antidote stage I, II, and III. It's highly addictive--in the sense that once you've had it, you have to continue with it in regular dosages until you have the antidote or your adrenal system craps out. Can be rage inducing, causes exhaustion as the drug wears off, and can potentially cause the user to overtax muscles and tendons, possibly leading to ruptures.

Antidote Stage I

Is taken alongside Drug, and lowers adrenaline response, bringing body to equilibrium. (When on this drug, natural adrenaline response is sluggish at best, meaning, if you're taking Stage I and you're about to get into a fight, you're not going to get much adrenaline, if any, in your system.) This allows the addicted user to continue to use without going through the effects of the drug.

Antidote Stage II

Is taken an hour after Stage I and then again every 4 hours thereafter for 1/3 as many days as Drug was taken. It helps the kidneys break down Drug and remove it from the system. (When on this drug, the person needs to pee a lot and has frequent headaches.) My note: sounds better to say "renally excreted" than "this makes you pee a lot". :D

Antidote Stage III

Is taken 8 hours after Stage II and then twice a day thereafter. It helps return the adrenal gland to a more permanent equilibrium and breaks the addiction to the Drug.

Any and every piece of advice is welcome. Any thoughts on plausibility or how to improve this will be greatly appreciated.

I'm just starting this WIP, still doing a lot of outlining, and can make whatever changes are necessary.

Thanks!

CACTUSWENDY
08-09-2010, 06:23 PM
Wow. That's a lot to remember. I guess it is all necessary for your story? IMHO that is a lot for a reader to keep track of. Best wishes.

Monkey
08-09-2010, 06:32 PM
It's not all laid out like that in the story, LOL.

I have to know how it works, and one of my main characters helped develop the drug (and is now addicted to it) so he has to know how it works. The reader's just gonna have to take our word for it. :tongue

GeorgeK
08-09-2010, 07:11 PM
Super addictive...potentially rage inducing...heightened awareness.....
So you probably have something in the amphetamine class, that is renally excreted. Since it is a theoretical drug if you want it to tweak the adrenal cortex, that's fine. I don't see a problem with it from the readers' standpoint except for the flexibility part and the risks.

Flexibility is a byproduct of repetitive range of motion. No phamaceutical is going to grant increased range of motion. If you have that range of motion, but it is restricted due to pain, then pain medicines can help, but they are not granting something that isn't already there, they are simply unmasking it.

I could imagine a drug that made the bones somewhat able to bend, thus granting more flexibility outside of articular capabilities, but that would reduce strength because of the way that muscles and bones work in terms of the lever system, also it would take months to years to work and would likely cause kidney stones and possibly heterotopic calcifications.

The other risk of increasing strength with drugs, which it theoretically might by increasing muscle fiber recruitment, is that it would reduce stamina. Such a person would have bursts of extreme strength but tire easily and diet would not likely alter this, since build up of waste products is part of the limiting point for endurance and tweaking the adrenals will not improve waste removal by each individual cell. Also since the strength is pharmacologic, and not from gradual training, such a patient would by at high risk for tendon and muscle ruptures as well as fractures.

Also remember about drugs, that everything has side effects. Try as we might to get target or organ specific drugs, each of our bodies was at one time a single cell. It's all in there. Many drugs have had unforseen side effects and some that are on the market today have a mechanism of action, "unknown," according to the Physician's Desk References. Also when it comes to individuals, almost anything is possible.

Monkey
08-09-2010, 07:35 PM
Thank you, GeorgeK, for the wonderful info. I've updated the original post to include your suggestions. :)

amused
08-09-2010, 07:50 PM
The description of the drug reminded me of Outland (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0082869/)

waylander
08-09-2010, 09:13 PM
Sounds like it might be a dopamine re-uptake inhibitor along the lines of cocaine.

Fern
08-09-2010, 11:20 PM
What it does:

It's an amphetamine that ramps up the adrenal system (giving the person the strength and intensity that comes with an adrenaline rush), dulls pain, increases flexibility, makes one fearless, and increases focus. I'm hoping for a strong increase in the performance of foot soldiers.

Sounds like they need mushrooms - what the Vikings used to bring on battle rage.

Monkey
08-10-2010, 03:05 AM
It is very like cocaine in some ways, or like the blue face paint used by the Celts, or the mushrooms used by the Vikings...it's meant as the U.S's attempt at creating something like that in a lab, but stronger than any of the previous methods and with less undesirable side effects (at least until the soldier is off the battlefield).

It's different from the drug in Outland because it will make you a super soldier for only a short time--then you have to re-inject (I'm thinking it's injectable, right now--I should have put that in the OP. Doing that now. )

But it's like that particular drug because if you don't re-inject, you're adrenal system stands a chance of crapping out shortly after your high does, meaning, once you're on this train, you don't get off until it kills you, without the special antidote regimen. So, yeah, it makes you work better as a soldier, but when it runs out so, potentially, do you.

If any of you play Rifts, the post-apocalyptic pencil and paper RPG, it's also sort of like juicers. Or like the Jet Li movie, "The Black Mask".

Anyway, these were the sorts of things I had in mind when I started creating the drug (with the exception of Outland, which is similar, but which I hadn't seen--I thought I was going to be linked to a comic by Berkley Breathed). For plot reasons, I want it to be something that will give a serious edge in a fight.

Can you tell that my WIP is going to be somewhere between Women's Fiction and Romance? :D